FOOD FOR THOUGHT Confused About Distros?

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
It's awesome.........until the end when you get the green radio button with your result. You click it and it doesn't do anything. I assume it's supposed to take you directly to the applicable NV blog post. The underlined links above the green radio button do this, but not the actual button.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
It's awesome.........until the end when you get the green radio button with your result. You click it and it doesn't do anything. I assume it's supposed to take you directly to the applicable NV blog post. The underlined links above the green radio button do this, but not the actual button.

I got the same thing. I chose CentOS, then Asterisk11, then IncrediblePBX and got a great big green button that didn't work. If I click on the CentOS link I get taken to http://nerdvittles.com/?p=13599, which I believe is correct.

Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 8.57.52 PM.png

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I see you determined the version of the OS for them. Centos 6.5 instead of doing Centos, and then the next step being which version (and maybe telling them why they want 6.5 over 7 for example).

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Yeah. There's not a lot of text flexibility in the app. And the logic tree currently blows up at step 13... but we'll keep at it.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Jay Deal jeff.h: Would make more sense if these two pieces could be turned around, but that's controlled in the app unfortunately. I've opened a ticket...

CHZvX3nUcAEiFfJ.jpg

prattmd2

Reaction score
Ward:

very cool! only suggestion is that last green box pointing to the article like the alternatives, like everyone else is pointing out

This will help everyone greatly

Mark

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Given the current constraints of the Decision Tree app, this is about the best we can could do until... (see below)

CHj2fReWwAAHjRP.jpg

prattmd2

Reaction score
Ward
I think you are using the sidecar plugin. If so try putting an html link in the subtext of the final answer

prattmd2

Reaction score
I would not expect to see the elastix option if I had chosen Ubuntu or raspberry

Maybe don't need the first step if that is included in the final answer. (The distro)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
That gets into the number of logic steps involved in the code. Like I said, it blows up at #13 currently, and we've already used 10. So there's only so much flexibility in the slicing and dicing. One extra button click shouldn't pose that much of a problem even though it's superfluous. We still get the answer right. :arabia:

Ross Herbert

Reaction score
I have been following this thread since I am in a similar position to mattseymour.

Firstly, given my vintage and that I am more hardware oriented than software oriented I am basically a beginner/newby to the world of digital PBX's. While I have 37 years of telecoms experience when it comes to constructing a PBX I have just taken it out of the manufacturers carton and connected the necessary CO lines and extension instruments. All of the discussion, even that directed at beginners in this forum and others, is way above that level. Even supposing that I was able to make the correct decision on an appropriate software platform (ie, for the Raspberry Pi 2), there seems to be something missing in the description as to getting all the hardware together and how to make actual physical connections to the finished PBX. Just like one would have to do with a PBX purchased off-the-shelf.

Maybe I am expecting too much but there really needs to be a project covering the complete nuts and bolts of building say a PBX with 8, 16 or more extensions, including the necessary connection details to the internet.

Sorry, but some of us are just a bit dumber than the nerds and geeks who have been brought up on this stuff and know it all :confused5:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Ross Herbert: You're not dumb at all. You have vast telecom experience that most of the nerds and geeks don't. The trick is learning the pieces you don't know and sharing the pieces that are old hat to you. If I were you, I wouldn't start with a Raspberry Pi. Instead, try the latest turnkey build for VirtualBox that will run on any desktop computer that you already own. From there, you add extensions to answer incoming calls, trunks to handle calls into and out of your PBX, inbound and outbound routes to send incoming calls to the desired destination and to route outgoing calls out the correct trunk. The rest is icing on the cake, and we're all here to help you get through the process. Open new threads with new issues, and one of the gurus will walk you through the stumbling blocks. Welcome!!

p.s. I'm admittedly biased but a Mac is almost a perfect platform on which to learn. It has all the Linux-like tools while functioning like a typical desktop computer (without the constant crashes). :oops:

vic555

Reaction score
It is hard to find honest people, that are willing to admit their limitations. It the world of virtual reality, most of us us are only serfs, to those that wield the real power. For some it is the power above, but for many it is the power below.

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
I am confused also. Incredible PBX and PIAF seem to be used interchangeably.

Perhaps retire one or the other because as far as I can tell they are essentially the same.

There were several mentions of PIAF 4. How does that relate to IncrediblePBX?

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
I' sorry to say I feel similar and I'm close to being a fanboy(I plug PIAF on Spiceworks when VOIP comes up.

A couple years ago it seemed easy. Download an iso, load PIAF, add on Incredible if you wanted. From what I can gather these changes were due to changes to CentOS (I'm not up on terms of usage-It's likely I'm missing the fine details)

IMO PIAF is trying too hard to be all things to all users.

FWITW I'm using the older 2.0.6.5 for phone service (as a HyperV 2012R2 guest) and Incredible on CentOS 7 as our conferencing server. (also as a HyperV 2012R2 guest) They both run fine.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We're just like General Motors, only a little smaller. :innocent:

Some prefer a Chevy while others like a Caddy.

PIAF-Green is our gold standard. Incredible PBX is a collection of experimental platforms for the latest and greatest.

PIAF has a closed source installer although all of the installed code is open source, GPL code.

Incredible PBX is pure GPL, open source code including the installer. You can review, embellish, tweak, and learn from all of the code and share it, resell it, embed it in other GPL platforms, or do anything else that the GPL permits.

Hope that helps clarify the differences in the platforms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voiplads
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.