TIPS Configure Digium D70 Soft Button to Feature Code

Steven Rodriguez

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have recently setup a PBX on CentOS 6.7 with Incredible PBX (Asterisk 13). I contacted Digium Support to ask them how to assign a feature code to one of the soft keys on a Digium D70. Specifically, I am wanting to configure the button to dial *271 to initiate a temporary Time Condition override. This is so that when a receptionist is present, people calling in will get to speak to a human being rather than go through the IVR. When she is away from her desk, she can press the button again to toggle the override so that the IVR is used instead. I already have this behavior working just fine by dialing *271 but I'd like a button to perform this action to make it easier for her as the outgoing Nortel system had it setup this way.

Digium support wrote back with the following:

Which version of Asterisk you are using? (well, most importantly, which software you are using as front end)

My understanding about the XML configuration file that is being used to provide the contact files to the does support * and #. I confirmed this information with our developer team; Here is their response

DEV TEAM

you can probably put that into the "dial" but really you should put that in the dial_prefix field and just make the dial 67 e.g. <action id="123" dial="67" dial_prefix="*" label="whatever" name="whatever" />

If you are using a FreePBX or other GUI, there is a chance that their GUI may be preventing the use of * or # but this will be a limitation on GUI rather than the phone.

To which I replied:

I am using Asterisk 13 with the IncrediblePBX (FreePBX) GUI.

I'd love to try your suggestion but I have no idea which XML file to edit.

If it's not too much trouble some more detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated.

To which they replied:

Hello Steven,

This appears to be a limitation of the GUI itself. You will need to contact the developers of that PBX to address that specific issue. Is there anything else we may be of assistance with?

Not very helpful. So, here I am. Can anyone offer a solution?

Thank You

Steven Rodriguez

Reaction score
81 views and no replies? I was under the impression that Digium phones were widely used as they are designed for Asterisk. Surely someone must have needed to program a custom soft key. Its disappointing to see that this is so complex, with Nortel phones from 20 years ago it was quite simple to program a key. Seems like we are also going backwards as we move forward.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
No experience with Digium phones, but I can tell you how to do this on other phones such as Yealink and Granstream, so I'd assume its the same.

You just setup a BLF on a programmable softkey and call it "Office Toggle" the number is set to *271
Then it is Green for normal, and will actually show red letting you know your calls are on the toggle state.

Steven Rodriguez

Reaction score
Great idea, but there is no way to assign a busy lamp flash to a soft key using the devices webpage GUI.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Digium phones are designed primarily for Switchvox and use proprietary software in the phone, in Asterisk, and in the FreePBX GUI. Chalk your experience up to not asking for recommendations before you bought the phone. Then go buy a Yealink, and it's a 2-minute operation.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
As I said, don't own one, so can't test, but have a look here. They discuss BLF for this on there.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Digium phones are designed primarily for Switchvox and use proprietary software in the phone, in Asterisk, and in the FreePBX GUI. Chalk your experience up to not asking for recommendations before you bought the phone. Then go buy a Yealink, and it's a 2-minute operation.

Totally Agree - go buy a Yealink, and you'll be happy. I also use Grandstream that can handle this task as well.

Steven Rodriguez

Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20 guys. I did research the Digium phones quite a bit and what sold me on them is that they make it very clear they are designed for Asterisk. Its impossible to ask /think of every pre-sales question for every situation you may encounter. They are easy to configure with their module, and if I could just get the IncrediblePBX GUI to accept an asterisk before the extension number, I'd be set, but it won't allow it.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20 guys. I did research the Digium phones quite a bit and what sold me on them is that they make it very clear they are designed for Asterisk. Its impossible to ask /think of every pre-sales question for every situation you may encounter. They are easy to configure with their module, and if I could just get the IncrediblePBX GUI to accept an asterisk before the extension number, I'd be set, but it won't allow it.

What do you mean Incredible GUI won't allow it? You mean the Digium won't allow you to have a speed dial of *270 I assume.

Steven Rodriguez

Reaction score
No, I did mean the IncrediblePBX GUI wont allow it. See below.

pbx_asterisk_extension.PNG

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
The hint is showing that *271 is already in use by a Feature Code.

Steven Rodriguez

Reaction score
Exactly. If you read my first post that is what Digium support told me to do. Assign an extension as the feature code so that by pushing the soft button that was tied to the extension, I could toggle the code on and off.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
You're right! I did read the first post, but wandered off part way through.

Still, it appears that you are trying to configure an extension, which is trying to use the same * code. I believe you need to get into the phone XML files to define a key/button instead. I don't use Digium phones, so I'm only making a suggestion.

I get that you are trying to make the best of what you have at hand, but you might want to have a read through this link, so see if this might get you going.

Last edited:

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
I use Digium phones exclusively. Solid phone. I do use the Digium DPMA module or the FreePBX Endpoint manager module as the case requires. Either way it is a very simple setting. Configure the button as a BLF and *271. I do this very thing at most installs. The DPMA module is free, you just have to sign up at Digium and "buy" the module for $0.

Steven Rodriguez

Reaction score
I use Digium phones exclusively. Solid phone. I do use the Digium DPMA module or the FreePBX Endpoint manager module as the case requires. Either way it is a very simple setting. Configure the button as a BLF and *271. I do this very thing at most installs. The DPMA module is free, you just have to sign up at Digium and "buy" the module for $0.

I do use the digium free module and already have it installed, I've used it to configure the user's extensions, firmware Etc. If you could provide me some more detailed instructions on how to set it up as you suggested I would appreciate it.

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
In the DPMA select Phone Books. Create a new phonebook if you do not have one already. Add an entry and set the fields :

Number *271
Label Office Mode (or whatever you want to call it)
Subscribe (check the box)
Subscription URL *271

Save it. Now go to the Phones menu and click Edit on the extension you are working on. Set the "Rapid Dial Key Phonebook" to the new one you just created. I also set the Rapid Dial Keys on unused Line Keys to "Disabled". This puts all the phonebook entries in the side keys. You can do as you please, I just like the looks better. Save and then click Reconfigure. The phone should update and you should see the Office Mode key on the right side.

Steven Rodriguez

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed response. I will give this a try and report back, hopefully it is the answer I've been looking for, thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OctavianBebu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.