Cisco 7940 "Protocol Application Invalid" error

chemcat9

Guru
Reaction score
The files are in the t*f*t*p directory (default End Point Manager files) ... I'm just unable to get to the network settings to point the phone at the t*f*t*p server via the "settings" button after a factory reset ... I get the "Protocol Application Invalid" error and am at a loss. I fail to understand how the phone knows where the PBX or the t*f*t*p server are ... what am I missing here?

:banghead:

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks.

PBXIAF 1.7.5.6
Asterisk 1.8.3.3

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Your answer depends on your environment --

If you are DHCP then the t*f*t*p Server is set via option 66 in you DHCP Definitions.

If you are hard coding then turn off DHCP and in Network setting enable the t*f*t*p Server,

-----------------------

chemcat9

Guru
Reaction score
I guess here in lies part of the challenge. My current network is under DHCP, and it appears the highly coveted and recommended DLink routers do not appear to support "option 66". I don't know if something can be cobbled together using access control or not ... and at this stage of the game hard coding would drive my family nuts given the mobility they enjoy under DHCP.

Can someone confirm for me that IP phones just "know" to look for option 66?

Is there a way to hard code the Cisco 7940 phone (some key combination to manually enter the t*f*t*p server information)?

Thanks!

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Can someone confirm for me that IP phones just "know" to look for option 66?

All IP phones know to look for option 66. You could simply disable DHCP on your dlink router and then setup DHCP on your PBX in a flash server through webmin. Then add option 66 AND 150 (cisco requires 150, it does not like 66).

chemcat9

Guru
Reaction score
Awesome! I put my tomato'ed wrt54gl in line with the pbx and Cisco 7940 and used "dhcp-option 150, 192.168.1.xxx" where xxx is the last three of the t*f*t*p (which resides on the same ip as the pbx; I also tried option 66 but got the same error - 150 worked). I think I'm getting somewhere now as the phone reports "t*f*t*p file not found". So it appears the phone is now hitting the server ... but the files are there.
So now there's a new problem.

Now I think my problem begins at step 2:

http://www.fonality.com/trixbox/for...-endpoints/cisco-7940g-t*f*t*p-file-not-found

I'm clouded as to how to flash the phone to SIP per the instructions found here:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx

If someone can kick start me that would be great!

Reaction score
I can't speak for the 7940, but the 7960 you can set an alternate tftpserver in the config menu. You can even override the dhcp and set a permanent ip address. That was what I did when I configured the phone.

chemcat9

Guru
Reaction score
Trouble is I am unable to get to the configuration window ... the settings button doesn't get me to the settings since I did a factory reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.