NEWS FLASH BIG NEWS: FreePBX 13 Support

henry

Reaction score
The same could have been said for FPBX a year ago.
Correct!
My most used setup is PIAF from 3.5 years ago. Frozen in time... Zero complains...
If I wouldn't have read these forums, I wouldn't know about any changes they made. Not that care now that I know...

Then I have half a dozen more of all stripes and colors but the idea to replace that old setup never crossed my mind.

With XIVO you are in the same boat right now!
Make it work to your satisfaction and stop reading these forums. It will do the job 5 years from now...
I am not an upgrade for the sake of upgrading kind of guy.
Of course you are! And so is everyone with more than 10 posts on these forums!
Maybe not "upgrade for the sake of upgrade" guy, but "what else is there? faster? smaller?" guy...

Last edited:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
And so is everyone with more than 10 posts on these forums!
Maybe not "upgrade for the sake of upgrade" guy, but "what else is there? faster? smaller?" guy...

Not true - When there are new functionality that can bring you a better product, I think its foolish to not look at it. The product from 5 years ago sucked at Fax, now Fax works pretty reliably. I'm trying to come up with a nice interface for SMS now, as in my opinion that brings full circle the unified communication. If someone gets it done slicker and better, Yes - I'm looking at it, not for the sake of doing it, but because it allows me to showcase a better product to my userbase. There's many other examples out there, but Yes - I want something that is clean that I can replicate and work with for years to come.

henry

Reaction score
Isn't this what I said? We have the itch to find and implement the "best"...
Does this mean the 3+ years old system is obsolete? Not at all...
I do the same but NOT as an upgrade to an existing system!

For the record: this is my hobby. I don't make a penny out of this activity...
It does not cost me much either...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@krzykat: To answer your other questions...

Any FreePBX-compatible app or dialplan code can be made to work with XiVO. It's just a matter of time and deciding whether it's worth the energy. We've already moved some of them over with Incredible PBX, and we will continue to do so as time permits.

Faxing with XiVO works out of the box. Just load the latest XiVO client on your Mac, Windows, or Linux desktop. It's in there. We haven't even scratched the surface of the features built into XiVO that FreePBX either hasn't implemented or that FreePBX charges money and recurring support fees for. Just need some more folks to roll up their sleeves.

billsimon

Reaction score
Their answer to my point about no support was that users of their fork could just go to the FreePBX forums for support. I assume that they mean that the FreePBX team and other users will provide the support there--not them.

If they can keep 100% in lockstep with FreePBX, that *might* work. But of course they won't be able to, and FreePBX will fix some bug that phonebocx still has, and a phonebocx user will struggle with it and ask about it on FreePBX forum, only to be told it's already been fixed... whoops.

It's like CentOS telling users that they just need to go to RedHat for support, because CentOS is just the open-source version of RedHat.

Meanwhile the FreePBX team has stated on the very same thread that FreePBX 13 can be used 100% open source GPL3 without any closed/encrypted components. Has anyone verified this? It should certainly be tested out, because that option seems FAR better than following this anonymous fork with no accountability, no support, no road map, no web site.

Let me be clear. I'm not on anyone's "side" except that I am against forking projects without a very clear, solid direction. Otherwise they just become more github abandonware. Doing this kind of thing in anonymity guarantees they can't be sued for patent infringment and also guarantees they can't be hounded when they abandon their project. Zero accountability. Ward, if you were behind this, I'd say great. At least we know who you are and what your intentions are.

Last edited:

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Let me be clear. I'm not on anyone's "side" except that I am against forking projects without a very clear, solid direction. Otherwise they just become more github abandonware. Doing this kind of thing in anonymity guarantees they can't be sued for patent infringment and also guarantees they can't be hounded when they abandon their project. Zero accountability. Ward, if you were behind this, I'd say great. At least we know who you are and what your intentions are.
Agree. To soon for this to get a BIG NEWS tag. Interesting, maybe even encouraging, but so far all we have is a github clone with no commits.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Our concern has always been two-fold: (1) the encrypted module signatures that make anything contributed by anyone else display all sorts of glaring messages suggesting that your server has been compromised and (2) the hidden module repositories that are actually used by the GUI to monitor and update modules. These repos are entirely separate from GitHub with entirely different "GPL" content. The FreePBX GitHub repos do NOT include module signatures so ALL of those modules will display tampering errors unless you rip out the module signature checking component OR sign your life away to Sangoma so you can generate your own signatures, something we're unwilling to do.

We'll see how this goes, but it is BIG NEWS. Keeping FreePBX modules current isn't a very big deal so long as Sangoma keeps their GitHub repo current which, to date, they have done as best I can tell.

As for patent claims, I've read Tony's comments about patent infringement. I've also spoken to Tony numerous time about patent claims. He owned the company at the time, and nothing would preclude him from disclosing what the patent claims were. My recollection is that all the patents Tony mentioned to me have long since expired. Until we see some actual facts surrounding the patent claims, it's premature to draw many conclusions. Whether intended or not, this obviously dissuades others from forking FreePBX based upon some undisclosed boogey man which may or may not exist. That inures to the benefit of Sangoma. If, in fact, someone were sued for patent infringement based upon a FreePBX module, then Sangoma obviously is going to be joined as a party... unless you've signed their indemnification agreement. And, if Sangoma were joined as a party, presumably they would assert that the patent claim already has been settled. That would be a defense to all parties, not just Sangoma. This is NOT legal advice but solely an off-the-cuff opinion as to how the American legal system works.

Last edited:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Why are people talking negatively about phonebo.cx ... I think it's awesome. If it works and gains traction - great ... if it doesn't, what does it hurt?

They sound sincere and I see no downside to it (unless they made a module for multiple parking lots, or fax pro, or the like that would take money out of Sangoma's pocket).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.