RECOMMENDATIONS ATA for Polycom conference room phone

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Moving from a traditional PBX to PIAF

Have two fairly new Polycom SoundStation2's I need to connect to PIAF.

Any recommendations? How about an Obi100 or a Cisco SPA112. I prefer new hardware as opposed to the popular PAP2T-NA's Ward recommends.

Thanks

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I'd go for the Obi, honestly. Never tried the 112, but I personally prefer the Obis.

PBX@Home

Reaction score
I use a SPA112, without any issues. The SPA comes with pre-defined feature code sets which differ from PiAF, so that might be a deal breaker.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Any echo issues with either the Obi or the SPA112 that either of you have experienced?

Thank you

PBX@Home

Reaction score
I don't make a ton of calls, tbh, and I use a Raspberry Pi, with Google voice. Crystal clear here.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed a small echo when using the Obi 110 as an FXO adapter, but none at all with FXS (what you are looking for).

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed a small echo when using the Obi 110 as an FXO adapter, but none at all with FXS (what you are looking for).

That's good to hear. Thanks for the input.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Obi these days . . . I have used the SPA112 and it's predecessors successfully before mind you but I prefer the obi these days they just seem to work better. Watch the dial plan.

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
I second the Obi, we have an older polycom unit and have used Linksys SPA with *horrible* echo problems.
I've also used Audiocodes with good success with it, as well as Grandstream.
Audiocodes are on the $$$ side and seem to be way too complicated, grandstream are on the cheap side and have a very cheesy interface and feel pretty flimsy.
The obi is right in the middle on the price and complexity scale, and sound quality is good. My only gripe is that the device seems to hijack the * feature codes in asterisk, which I'm sure can be disabled - I just haven't tried too hard.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
I second the Obi, we have an older polycom unit and have used Linksys SPA with *horrible* echo problems.
I've also used Audiocodes with good success with it, as well as Grandstream.
Audiocodes are on the $$$ side and seem to be way too complicated, grandstream are on the cheap side and have a very cheesy interface and feel pretty flimsy.
The obi is right in the middle on the price and complexity scale, and sound quality is good. My only gripe is that the device seems to hijack the * feature codes in asterisk, which I'm sure can be disabled - I just haven't tried too hard.

Good to know. Thanks for the input

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Here's an update. Had the Obi's working. But users had numerous issues.
1. DTMF sometimes worked sometimes not. I played with every setting I could find.
2. Dialing delay. I couldn't lower it enough to make people happy. Out of the box it's 9 seconds. I changed it to 2 seconds but there was till a long delay when dialing.

BTW they sounded great. No echo at all.

In the end I was fed up with the pissin' and moanin' and bought two Polycom IP conference phones from Metroline Direct. Installed them and haven't heard a peep from the users, which is how I like it.

david l

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, was just going to ask if this was a recommended set up as it is quite cost effective

OTA

Guru
Reaction score
I'm still using the ancient Sipura SPA-2000 and Linksys PAP-2 ATAs for our systems. I've had to reduce the volume level when connecting to the Polycoms, but that's not a bad problem and it's easy to fix in the ATA's config screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voiplads
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.