Asterisk 1.8 Music on Hold

kenn10

Reaction score
While I'm testing Asterisk 1.8, I notice that you no longer have music on hold for parked calls. Has anyone else noticed this? Its happens on my Purple install with or without loading Incredible PBX.

PBX in a Flash PURPLE Daemon Status - Version 1.7.8 Released on 110310
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
┌────────────────────────System Information─────────────────
──────────┐
│ Asterisk = ONLINE | Dahdi = ONLINE | MySQL = ONLINE │
│ SSH = ONLINE | Apache = ONLINE | Iptables = ONLINE │
│ Fail2ban = ONLINE | Internet = ONLINE | Ip6Tables = ONLINE │
│ BlueTooth = ONLINE | Hidd = ONLINE | NTPD = ONLINE │
│ SendMail = ONLINE | Samba = OFFLINE | Webmin = ONLINE │
│ Ethernet0 = ONLINE | Ethernet1 = N/A | Wlan0 = N/A │
│ │
│ PBX in a Flash Version = 1.7.5.5 │
│ FreePBX Version = 2.8.0.4 │
│ Running Asterisk Version = Asterisk 1.8.0 │
│ Asterisk Source Version = 1.8.0 │
│ Dahdi Source Version = 2.4.0+2.4.0 │
│ Libpri Source Version = 1.4.11.4 │
│ IP Address = 192.168.1.253 on eth0 │
│ Operating System = CentOS release 5.5 (Final) │
│ Kernel Version = 2.6.18-194.17.4.el5 - 32 Bit │
│ │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────
──────────────────────────┘

Reaction score
Same here.

Status - 1.7.7 released on 102910
* PBX in a Flash PURPLE Daemon Status *
* Asterisk * ONLINE * Dahdi * ONLINE * MySQL * ONLINE *
* SSH * ONLINE * Apache * ONLINE * Iptables * ONLINE *
* Fail2ban * OFFLINE * IP Connect* ONLINE * Ip6tables * ONLINE *
* BlueTooth * ONLINE * Hidd * ONLINE * NTPD * ONLINE *
* Sendmail * ONLINE * Samba * OFFLINE * Webmin * ONLINE *
* Ethernet0 * ONLINE * Ethernet1 * N/A * Wlan0 * N/A *
* PBX in a Flash Version : 1.7.5.5
* FreePBX Version : 2.8.0.4
* Running Asterisk Version : Asterisk 1.8.0
* Asterisk Source Version : 1.8.0
* Dahdi Source Version : 2.4.0+2.4.0
* Libpri Source Version : 1.4.11.4
* Addons Source Version : 1.6.2.2
pbx.local on 10.0.0.1 - eth0
CentOS release 5.5 (Final) :64 Bit Kernel: 2.6.18-194.17.4.el5

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Haven't gotten it to work, but...

Take a look in features.conf.0 which shows the available options. These then need to be copied to the appropriate features_*_custom.conf file to work, I think.

kenn10

Reaction score
I've done some fiddling but no love yet. I think this is going to be related to the new parking lots functionality and the way that FreePBX calls the park feature. Haven't got my finger on it yet.

I submitted trouble ticket #4623 on the FreePBX site.

Reaction score
While I'm testing Asterisk 1.8, I notice that you no longer have music on hold for parked calls. Has anyone else noticed this? Its happens on my Purple install with or without loading Incredible PBX.

For my system I entered the following on my /etc/asterisk/modules.conf, might not be appropriate for your system, but works for me. :

; start of add AsteriskORbust 2010-11-16 08:19
;
noload => res_timing_dahdi.so
;
; end of add AsteriskORbust 2010-11-16 08:19

and reloaded asterisk. After making this change a check of loaded modules showed that res_timing_pthread was loaded where it wasn't loaded before.

asterisk -nrx "module show"|grep "res_timing_pthread"

I used information found here https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18262 for this.

ddebbink

Reaction score
Worked for me

For my system I entered the following on my /etc/asterisk/modules.conf, might not be appropriate for your system, but works for me. :

; start of add AsteriskORbust 2010-11-16 08:19
;
noload => res_timing_dahdi.so
;
; end of add AsteriskORbust 2010-11-16 08:19

and reloaded asterisk.

Thanks AsteriskORbust - this worked for me too. Only thing is it skips to the next song as soon as the transfer to the parking lot completes.

luckman212

Guru
Reaction score
Hmm glad I found this thread. I was scratchin my head on this one. Didn't even occur to me that it could be a bug. I'm on the verge of ditching Purple and going back to Bronze. I don't even think I'm doing anything that requires 1.8.
:banghead:

luckman212

Guru
Reaction score
well whaddya know!! :biggrin5:
I added "noload => res_timing_dahdi.so" near the top of my /etc/asterisk/modules.conf (I had put it at the bottom first, under [globals] which did NOT work) and reloaded, and now my streaming MOH is working like a charm!!

MERRY XMAS AsteriskORbust !!

luckman212

Guru
Reaction score
So one more thing... since the issue here seems to have been related to the timing source (res_timing_dahdi vs. res_timing_pthread) I did some more searching and found that newer versions of Asterisk started including a NEW timing module called res_timing_timerfd

I see this in the /usr/src/asterisk/res dir but I guess I need to enable some flags to compile the .so module because the actual module is not built.

has anyone tested this? It's supposed to be much more efficient than pthread. I'd love to give it a shot... just not sure how to "turn it on"

luckman212

Guru
Reaction score
Ok I figured out that if I cd /usr/src/asterisk and run make menuconfig I can get to the build options.

I found res_timing_timerfd in there under Resource Modules but it's XXX'ed out. Not sure what this means or if its even possible to enable it?

TeXqQ.png

luckman212

Guru
Reaction score
Answered my own question:
Apparently res_timing_timerfd requires kernel 2.6.25 or better. Our PiaF box w/ CentOS 5.5 has 2.6.18.

So, unless someone wants to custom compile a new kernel for this puppy (yikes!) I suppose this is shelved for now.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
While you are correct it also seems to required glibc 2.8 in order for it to work. I have upgraded the kernel on a spare machine in the lab and without loading in the latest glibc it won't run correctly.... so far. I attached a copy of status showing the later kernel. If I get time I will play with this in the new year

Attachments

• kernel.pdf
    135.4 KB · Views: 4

luckman212

Guru
Reaction score
Cool, nice to see that. Well there's hope then! I'm not much of a kernel-building kind of guy (yet) but hopefully 2011 will change that! :smile5:

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
Interesting data point: I installed an openvz of jroper's ubuntu based piaf bronze. Looky here:

jroper-piaf*CLI> module show like timing
Module Description Use Count
res_timing_dahdi.so DAHDI Timing Interface 0
res_timing_timerfd.so Timerfd Timing Interface 1
res_timing_pthread.so pthread Timing Interface 0
3 modules loaded

luckman212

Guru
Reaction score
Guys I'm basking in the streaming MOH goodness. :crazy:

Can anyone tell me how to set the default MOH class for internal (extension->extension) calls? I set it on all my inbound routes and that works great for calls coming in via SIP trunks but if I dial, lets say x702 -> x703 and then put the call on hold, it still puts me in the 'default' MOH class and I hear that spacey music.

any idea?

luckman212

Guru
Reaction score
Okay I figured this one out. Not sure if this is the "right" way to do this, but it's working for me, so here goes the quick 2-step fix:

1) add the following line to the bottom of your globals_custom.conf :
MOHCLASS = stream

2) save & exit and then do an amportal restart & you should be in business. :smile5:

is there a "more correct" way?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
:(
The fix, noload => res_timing_dahdi.so,worked for fixing the parking lot MOH, but then it killed BLF on my Mitel IP 5224. I am running 1.8.1 (Not 1.8.1.1) if it makes any difference. Do I need to install any patches? I would REALLY love to have the best of both worlds.
Code:
PBX in a Flash PURPLE Daemon Status - Version 1.7.9  Released on 110910                                                        
 ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── 

┌────────────────────────System Information───────────────────────────┐                              
                           │  Asterisk   = ONLINE  | Dahdi     = ONLINE  | MySQL     = ONLINE    │                              
                           │  SSH        = ONLINE  | Apache    = ONLINE  | Iptables  = ONLINE    │                              
                           │  Fail2ban   = ONLINE  | Internet  = ONLINE  | Ip6Tables = ONLINE    │                              
                           │  BlueTooth  = ONLINE  | Hidd      = ONLINE  | NTPD      = ONLINE    │                              
                           │  SendMail   = ONLINE  | Samba     = ONLINE  | Webmin    = ONLINE    │                              
                           │  Ethernet0  = ONLINE  | Ethernet1 = N/A     | Wlan0     = N/A       │                              
                           │                                                                     │                              
                           │  PBX in a Flash Version   = 1.7.5.5                                 │                              
                           │  FreePBX Version          = 2.8.0.4                                 │                              
                           │  Running Asterisk Version = Asterisk 1.8.1                          │                              
                           │  Asterisk Source Version  = 1.8.1                                   │                              
                           │  Dahdi Source Version     = 2.4.0+2.4.0                             │                              
                           │  Libpri Source Version    = 1.4.11.5                                │                              
                           │  IP Address               = 192.168.4.2 on eth0                     │                              
                           │  Operating System         = CentOS release 5.5 (Final)              │                              
                           │  Kernel Version           = 2.6.18-194.17.4.el5 - 32 Bit            │                              
                           │                                                                     │                              
                           └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

:D :D I update-source'd to 1.8.1.1 and now I have streaming MOH while on hold everywhere AND BLF on my 5224!! Yay! :D Happy New Year everyone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dancosge
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.