NEW Amazon Lightsail: D.O. Killer?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Look familiar? Click on image for details...

NOTES: Be very careful with AWS. Amazon treats everyone on their private network addresses as part of the same local area network. You will need to remove private LAN addresses from the Travelin' Man 3 WhiteList if you plan to use this service!!! First calendar month is free on the $5 plan for that month. So wait until Dec. 1 to sign up if you're interested!

Special thanks to @FriesenRick for the heads up.

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
Amazon treats everyone on their private network addresses as part of the same local area network.

This might have been true in the "EC2 Classic" days but those are a few years behind us now. Now, you define your own private network space on AWS.

The bundle appears to use t2.nano for the lowest end. Monthly cost for a t2.nano on-demand is $4.75, so for your $5 you get that plus 25 cents worth of other stuff I guess. Great if you plan on gobbling up the network. If not, you could order t2.nano on an annual reservation and pay $3.12/mo. for it.

Also, it's not static IP. It's IPv4 NAT as always, with their attachable "Elastic IPs" and still no IPv6.

t2.nano instances haven't killed DO yet, so I don't see what has changed since they were released last year.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Static IP is a free option if I read the stuff correctly. The advantage of D.O. and Vultr is being able to bring up a VPS, test something, and then blow it away with an outlay of a penny or two. Now you can also do that with Amazon. Yes, it was possible with EC2 but it certainly wasn't easy. I'll have to test the private LAN issue. The docs say it gets created automatically.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
t2.nano instances haven't killed DO yet, so I don't see what has changed since they were released last year.

What has changed: It's simpler; it's marketed/priced in a simpler fashion...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.