FOOD FOR THOUGHT ACN Iris 3000 Videophone

Joshoa

Reaction score
By any chance are these the instructions you were going to post?
http://www.techidiots.net/notes/iris-3000/downloads/Iris-3000.pdf
Dom

Hi
Yes and No.
This is a very good doc, made by a guy who was on this forum.
But the part related to REDBOOT/NFS is incomplete.

So here is the missing part:

Use the same Hardware setup as described in previous post.
Boot from Live-CD
[sudo -s]
[ip addr add 10.73.61.100/24 dev eth0]
[echo -e "\0377\0364\0377\0375\0006" > /break.bin; busybox arping -f 10.73.61.201; nc -D -vvv 10.73.61.201 9000 < /break.bin; telnet 10.73.61.201 9000] and turn your phone ON. This spell will do all the dirty things for you and patch you directly to REDBOOT prompt.
[fis load kernel]
[exec -b 0x100000 -l 0x200000 -c "noinitrd console=ttymxc0,115200 ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs rw"] The phone should blink, then show you the blue ACN logo, then after a minute or so the screen will change it`s color to white, and the red progressbar will appear.
Wait while have your fingers crossed )
Phoone should reboot automatically, or if it dont - just wait for the red progress bar to disappear and power-cycle phone manually.

J

Dominic

Reaction score
Did:
[sudo -s]
[echo -e "\0377\0364\0377\0375\0006" > /break.bin; busybox arping -f 10.73.61.201; nc -D -vvv 10.73.61.201 9000 < /break.bin; telnet 10.73.61.201 9000] and turn your phone ON.

Got:
ARPING to 10.73.61.201 from 10.73.61.100 via eth0
Unicast reply from 10.73.61.201 [0:0:45:67:89:ab] 13.511ms
Sent 3 probe(s) (3 broadcast(s))
Connection to 10.73.61.201 9000 port [tcp/*] succeeded!

And nothing more........... just a blinking _ that does not do anything if I continue with "fis load kernel"
Dom

Joshoa

Reaction score
Did:
[sudo -s]
[echo -e "\0377\0364\0377\0375\0006" > /break.bin; busybox arping -f 10.73.61.201; nc -D -vvv 10.73.61.201 9000 < /break.bin; telnet 10.73.61.201 9000] and turn your phone ON.

Got:
ARPING to 10.73.61.201 from 10.73.61.100 via eth0
Unicast reply from 10.73.61.201 [0:0:45:67:89:ab] 13.511ms
Sent 3 probe(s) (3 broadcast(s))
Connection to 10.73.61.201 9000 port [tcp/*] succeeded!

And nothing more........... just a blinking _ that does not do anything if I continue with "fis load kernel"
Dom

Hi
Try this [echo -e "\0377\0364\0377\0375\0006" > /break.bin; busybox arping -f 10.73.61.201; nc -D -vvv 10.73.61.201 9000 < /break.bin; telnet 10.73.61.201 9000] several times.
Usually i am getting [Redboot>] on 2-nd or 3-rd attempt.

J

Dominic

Reaction score
ok, got:
... Read from blah blah
... Read from blah blah
** warning - checksum failure. stored:0xf9384f04, computed: 0x455d89b2
right after the [fis load kernel]
running [exec -b 0x100000 -l 0x200000 -c "noinitrd console=ttymxc0,115200 ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs rw"]
hope thats a lower case -L 0x200000, still hopeing for a red progress bar.
Dom

Dominic

Reaction score
No red bar, got:
Connection closed by foreign host.
root@ubuntu:^#

Can I somehow do this from an SD card instead??
Dom

Dominic

Reaction score
At RedBoot> I typed disks and got
** Error: Illegal command: "disks"
tried a couple other commands, some work some do not.
reset did.
Dom

Joshoa

Reaction score
ok, got:
... Read from blah blah
... Read from blah blah
** warning - checksum failure. stored:0xf9384f04, computed: 0x455d89b2
right after the [fis load kernel]
running [exec -b 0x100000 -l 0x200000 -c "noinitrd console=ttymxc0,115200 ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs rw"]
hope thats a lower case -L 0x200000, still hopeing for a red progress bar.
Dom

Hi
This is really bad.
I had this problem with one of the forum users about 3 month ago.
This means that the flash area that contain KERNEL partition damaged.
The good news is that it can be *ahem-ahem* fixed.
You will have to erase the kernel partition, re-create it, and flash the kernel image in to it.
This will require a separate manual.

Can I somehow do this from an SD card instead??
No, you cant. SD-card method will work only if the system inside the phone is OK, which is not the case.

At RedBoot> I typed disks and got
** Error: Illegal command: "disks"
tried a couple other commands, some work some do not.
reset did.

Redboot is not a system. It is a FLASH memory loader.
So it has it`s own commans set.
Do [help] to see the list.
But be carefull, if you will change the boot setings, you may loose the ability to jump in to Redboot at all.

So in sort - wait for the next step from me.
J

Dominic

Reaction score
Thanks much, I shall await with bated breath.
Dom
P.S. From your jpegs, I could not read the red text, what are the unpopulated
headers con1 and con2 on the Iris's cpu board???

Dominic

Reaction score
Also, I have a second phone handy if I need to dump anything from it.
Dom

iris3000

Reaction score
Hi,

Long time no see. I've decided to drop in to check out what was happening here.

I've learn that you had server crash and some information got lost. Then I did some reading and found that Joshoa came up with set of commands to "assist with getting into Red Boot" what simplifies procedure.

Ok, I've updated my "manual" to reflect above mentioned procedure (I guess that something else interesting was going on here, what I did not had a chance to glance at yet).

Your comments in regard of "manual" is welcome (but please remember that English is my second language and I still make some mistakes in grammar and spelling).

I see that Joshoa mentioned that if kernel got corrupted in the flash then there still should be a way to reflash kernel back.

Ok, here my guess would be to use SD Card/Flash Drive/Network NFS Drive as "external" boot device.

I guess that it should be quite easy to boot from SD Card/Flash Drive by specifying boot drive in command line of Red Boot.
(It even might be exactly what I used to fix one of my "hopelessly unrepairable" Iris 3000 -- I just do not remember as more than an year has passed since then)

Through this procedure we could go even further, once we get network connectivity by booting from external drive and ability telnet/ssh into Iris 3000, we could use some script which would ask a simple questions like:

Would you like to upgrade to latest available firmware?
Would you like to reflash kernel partition (fix for situation when checksum indicates that kernel in the flash chip got corrupted)?

Or even if somehow we get our hands on other VoIP software compatible with Iris 3000:

Do you want to migrate to "Some New Wonderful Software"?

Note: in my past communication with Joshoa I've mentioned that I came across a picture on the web with native CU-776 software
(at some time this software was available on internet, but when I found it -- all links went dead):

c02e9d59-f231-4c14-bcc7-baa3542b9455_s.jpg

https://bitbucket.org/emex/mx27/wiki/Home

It might be possible that software demonstrated in next video is compatible with Iris 3000 (no it is not, seems like Microsoft domain)

I am not sure what tools are available as part of Iris 3000 software, but if something as lynx, wget can be put on the external drive (SD Card/Flash Drive) then we could pull update from "our" private server. I guess that we could get in trouble with ACN if this information/file(s) was freely exposed to the world, due this danger it is better to keep files/scripts private.

My guess is that Red Boot has no buildin ability to boot from NFS disk over network, or am I wrong?
(I didn't explore Red Boot documentation to this extent -- but if it is possible then we have a wonderful news).

One more note: although I use Asterisk (Astlinux if be more precise) I do not qualify to be an expert.
I guess that some people would like to see a section in my manual dedicated to "Iris 3000 and Asterisk VoIP server".
If we have somebody "who is more comfortable with Asterisk than average user" like me, willing to give his recommendations on "How optimally configure Asterisk to work with Iris 3000" I would glad to add this information into manual as well.

With best wishes,
Iris3000

iris3000

Reaction score
Updated "manual"....

Attachments

• iris3000.pdf
    149.9 KB · Views: 79

Joshoa

Reaction score
Hi,

Long time no see. I've decided to drop in to check out what was happening here.

Hi there!

I've learn that you had server crash and some information got lost. Then I did some reading and found that Joshoa came up with set of commands to "assist with getting into Red Boot" what simplifies procedure.

Ok, I've updated my "manual" to reflect above mentioned procedure (I guess that something else interesting was going on here, what I did not had a chance to glance at yet).

Thanx.

Your comments in regard of "manual" is welcome (but please remember that English is my second language and I still make some mistakes in grammar and spelling).

I see that Joshoa mentioned that if kernel got corrupted in the flash then there still should be a way to reflash kernel back.

Thats true.
I have absolutely the same problem recently, and the only way to fix it was to re-flash KERNEL.

Ok, here my guess would be to use SD Card/Flash Drive/Network NFS Drive as "external" boot device.

I guess that it should be quite easy to boot from SD Card/Flash Drive by specifying boot drive in command line of Red Boot.
(It even might be exactly what I used to fix one of my "hopelessly unrepairable" Iris 3000 -- I just do not remember as more than an year has passed since then)

Yes/No.
There is 2 versions of KERNEL on IRIS3000.
Old one does`not have the abbility to do [1+#] trick, new one have it.
As far as i know, NFS boot is compiled in both versions. I was able to force to boot from NFS in spite the KERNEL version.
Speaking of SD or USB - i am not that sure. SD is definetely need a module, cause it is driven by MXC. If you log on to alive phone and [cd] to [/dev] you will see a lot of devices with [mxc] in their names.

Through this procedure we could go even further, once we get network connectivity by booting from external drive and ability telnet/ssh into Iris 3000, we could use some script which would ask a simple questions like:

Would you like to upgrade to latest available firmware?
Would you like to reflash kernel partition (fix for situation when checksum indicates that kernel in the flash chip got corrupted)?

Or even if somehow we get our hands on other VoIP software compatible with Iris 3000:

Do you want to migrate to "Some New Wonderful Software"?

Yup!
This will be relatively easy to do even now, on a LiveCD.

Note: in my past communication with Joshoa I've mentioned that I came across a picture on the web with native CU-776 software
(at some time this software was available on internet, but when I found it -- all links went dead):

c02e9d59-f231-4c14-bcc7-baa3542b9455_s.jpg

https://bitbucket.org/emex/mx27/wiki/Home

It might be possible that software demonstrated in next video is compatible with Iris 3000 (no it is not, seems like Microsoft domain)

Yeah, i saw it. But i wasn`t able to find this file anywhere.

I am not sure what tools are available as part of Iris 3000 software, but if something as lynx, wget can be put on the external drive (SD Card/Flash Drive) then we could pull update from "our" private server. I guess that we could get in trouble with ACN if this information/file(s) was freely exposed to the world, due this danger it is better to keep files/scripts private.

Yes, this sounds like a good idea.
AFAIK, wget is already there, as a part of busybox.
And there should be not that hard to compile lynx and pretty much everything that you need using toolchain for i.MX27 from FREESCALE

My guess is that Red Boot has no buildin ability to boot from NFS disk over network, or am I wrong?
(I didn't explore Red Boot documentation to this extent -- but if it is possible then we have a wonderful news).

Not exactly.
REDBOOT by itself can`t do NFS in any way.
But it does not have to. Both versions of KERNEL already have build-in NFS-root support.
So all that you need is to load KERNEL in to RAM, and toss it the right commandline.
That exactly what was described in my previous post.
The only thing that is missing is the part where the process of wipeing\flashing of new KERNEL is described.

One more note: although I use Asterisk (Astlinux if be more precise) I do not qualify to be an expert.
I guess that some people would like to see a section in my manual dedicated to "Iris 3000 and Asterisk VoIP server".
If we have somebody "who is more comfortable with Asterisk than average user" like me, willing to give his recommendations on "How optimally configure Asterisk to work with Iris 3000" I would glad to add this information into manual as well.

With best wishes,
Iris3000

)
Unfortunately, that info was lost also.
But!
I am the guy, who spent with asterisk several years, so it wouldn`t be hard to restore this info.

J

PS Still don`t have enough time to build up a lab to do the KERNEL restoration procedure manual. (
Hopefully, in next 1-2 days i`ll do it.

J

Joshoa

Reaction score
Thanks much, I shall await with bated breath.
Dom
P.S. From your jpegs, I could not read the red text, what are the unpopulated
headers con1 and con2 on the Iris's cpu board???

Hi
I`ll try to finish the manual in next 1-2 days.
Which JPEG are you mean?

J

Dominic

Reaction score
You posted a link to the live iso back a page here and there are three jpg's of the Iris's circuit board there too.
I figured one was showing USB pins but the main text was in cyrillic. No rush< I am keeping myself busy
with other things.
Thanks
Dom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.