FOOD FOR THOUGHT A step too far?

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents.

Ward's projects are the AOL'ification of open source VoIP. Great to get people in the door. Then you think you are "using the Internet" and have no idea what you are doing because all you know is AOL chat rooms.

Incredible PBX gives you everything to make your work easy. Scripted install, scripted updates and patches, scripted iptables firewall. It's like the floppy disk being delivered to your mailbox! (Note: this is a great thing and Ward deserves plenty of appreciation for this work.)

Of these GUI -- FreePBX, Elastix, Asterisk GUI, Xivo, FusionPBX (FreeSWITCH) -- the FreePBX GUI is by far the easiest to learn and use, in my opinion.

It is a mistake to learn the GUI and then think you know something about Asterisk. But if you do learn about Asterisk, then the learning curve to understand Xivo is not so steep if you already have expertise in FreePBX and know what Asterisk is doing behind the scenes.

Sorry, not trying to be negative, but the complaining about "it's hard" is absolutely right. It is hard, so you have to take time to learn.
It certainly does help to know Asterisk at a lower level rather than just through a GUI! It's often apparent how little people know as soon as a problem pops up. Often they have no understanding of Linux, logs or the CLI....

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
XiVO is develop to have many projects around the platform. Have you check our API? api.xivo.io? We working hard to add one everyday. So it's possible to create a new GUI on the top of XiVO with our API. Not all the features, but we working to do this.
Understood. Please don't misunderstand comments about it not being a right fit for us (at the moment) as negative. Every project has a certain scope and focus.

The frustration for us comes from XiVO looking so good, but not quite being what we need.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Once you use a Real-Time Asterisk system in a high volume calling environment, you'll never go back. :wub:

Bart

Reaction score
There is a learning curve to XiVO. It's almost as if you need the kind of programming books they used to publish like 'C Language for Basic programmers'. It tough to get out of thinking a particular way. I wouldn't call Asterisk intuitive so it's tough for the GUI to magically transform that.
I think XiVO has a great deal of potential. It's amazing that so much has been added in such a short time and it's developers seem very willing to make changes and additions. What a welcome change!

Just a thought...

Maybe adding Basic / Advance selection box on the GUI might help. Basic would only show stuff needed to get it working. Advance would show what it does now. Looking at it now it is overwhelming the number of options asterisk/xivo offers. But in fact most option could/can be ignored - so hiding them might be an option

Just my 2 cents

Bart

Reaction score
I'll add that all the overwhelming options in xivo are also in FreePBX; just in its own tab. You can change them if you have a problem, but most of us never even look in that tab.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.