CvnQo7iWgAEzk8q.jpg

Photo credit: Hiroshi Watanabe/Getty Images

In case you missed this PIAF5 comment on Nerd Vittles:

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Click below to watch the YouTube replay:

* With major apologies to XiVO. Our XiVO demo failed to appear because of an IP address change that DummyMe had forgotten about.

Last edited:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I watched it and I think it gives some insight into what Ward feels the future direction is. Note: I felt after watching it that he has NOT sold out. I feel he gave his honest opinions on things. It's evident that there are issues that Ward has with the folks at FreePBX, but that aside, I think he gave fair and equal billing to Xivo, 3CX, and IncrediblePBX for whichever scenario was best suited.

billsimon

Reaction score
Welcome to the new entitlement culture, where free-and-excellent is expected, free-and-not-excellent is highly criticized (check out reviews of most free apps on Google Play or Apple App Store), and something you have to PAY for is downright outrageous.

Unlike entitlements from the government, there are no taxpayers putting in to the common pot, so the sucker who releases something for free is forever required to do so without any hope of compensation, and high expectations of criticism should he stop.

Reaction score
This is one long, continuous and evolving process. An interesting side effect is that having access to all these platforms has tended to even out the feature set. Look at all that's been added to Xivo in the last few months. I welcome any product who's management is willing to work with this community and share a little bit of the wealth to keep the lights on. Learning is a two way street and I think 3CX will certainly learn a lot about this side of the business and the Linux communities approach in general. Their presence on this site is already a plus. We all know that over time some developers have gone astray or got too greedy. The only way I know to avoid that is to have robust competition and communication which I think is an important part of what's being done here.

Let's all contribute as much as we can to whatever part of the solution we like the best. At a 'buffet' you don't have to eat everything.... :)

MiB

Reaction score
"When one is young it seems so very easy to distinguish between right and wrong. But as one gets older it becomes more difficult, the villains and the heroes get all mixed up." Mathis - Quantum of Solace (© 2008 Danjaq LLC, United Artists, Columbia Pictures)

Hal_1

Reaction score
Ward, to be clear- I didn't say goodbye to the Incredible PBX and I will use it- probably against XiVO - though I am not 100% decided on that yet.

In my opinion, PIAF5 brings reduced functionality. To be equivalent on PIAF5 has a cost- it's not free. That's what I said, and what I meant. "Free at Last" seemed like a bad way to market a system that has an increased cost.

This matters to me because I am a very tiny installation- meaning it's for me... It's for my house.. and I do it to basically "park" some numbers that are infrequently used but I didn't want to give up. I fax 3x a year, if that. I have two trunks (Google and one I pay by the second for, if I need the reliability or to reach numbers I can't on GV)

I thank you for your response and I appreciate all you have done for the community. Your freely given knowledge has made my journey into this even possible, I look forward to see what's coming and truly hope 3CX can loosen up some of that licencing so it's a solution for my use case or Incredible PBX for PIAF5 comes out and adds some 3rd party free solutions for GV integration, faxing, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Hi @Hal_1 and thanks for both of your comments.
FYI: Free = Freedom. And even that comes at a price. :gnorsi:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Xivo is a great home solution. Some houses use an IVR for family or as a firewall and if you don't want to script it then IVR functionality should be here soon.

Xivo has a learning curve because of the way the GUI is organized, some of the terminology and the array of settings most of which aren't needed by the average user. It's realtime - database oriented approach is far more elegant then a million config files being written by a GUI. I think it's a real keeper for anyone on this forum.

I think 3CX will make some changes as part of the Linux community and this forum. It's only been a couple of weeks....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.