NO JOY reinstal causes Transfer>BLFs to fail

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Helping a non-profit out which we set up with a small system some time back. It appears they didn't take our advice seriously, never ventilated the server closet, and now experienced a complete melt-down of most of their server systems this month.

We had NOT made a backup (our bad!), so we rushed out a full re-flush of Piaf (which happened to be one or two flavors newer), added their extension#'s, inbound and outbound, trunks, and ring groups, and had them running in about 4 hours... not bad at all, really, considering again that this was a free emergency service!

Here's the problem.
They're quite used to using preprogrammed keys on the stations (Grandstream GXP21xx series), which we had prep'd with BLF's for all major locations.. So normally if they need to transfer a call, they'd simply mash Transfer then the BLF for the appropriate person...

AFTER our reinstall, this no longer works.. They have to press Transfer, then MANUALLY DIAL IN the extension number, THEN hit SEND.

Any thoughts or ideas? NOTHING changed on the stations - no settings, nothing.

PBX in a Flash Version = 1.7.5.5 Running on *HARDWARE* │​
│ FreePBX Version = 2.9.0.14 │
│ Running Asterisk Version = LOADING │
│ Asterisk Source Version = 1.8.4.1 │
│ Dahdi Source Version = 2.4.1.2+2.4.1 │
│ Libpri Source Version = 1.4.11.5 │
│ IP Address = 10.x.x.x on eth0 │
│ Operating System = CentOS release 5.6 (Final) │
│ Kernel Version = 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 - 32 Bit​

On the one hand, I want to tell them to suck it up (it is free after all!), but hey, it's a lot easier to teach a phone volunteer to simply punch two buttons, instead of the more complex route....

Thoughts?

EDIT: I should mention that one other thing didn't work after reinstall - the MWI lights on the stations didn't light to indicate voicemail waiting.. HOwever, we fixed this by logging into the stations and enabling the MWI subscribe featue.

Is there some other station feature which should be tweaked to allow BLF transfer?

Last edited:

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
on my 2160 transfer via BLF works out of the box - press Transfer softkey press BLF key hangup
MWI works without enabling the MWI subscribe feature

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I do that all the time too without issues. So phones didn't change at all, they don't use OSS, so it you're saying it has to be in your FreePBX config?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I seem to recall some asterisk versions and freepbx version combination not creating hints for BLF (which would coincide with MWI as well I might think). I'm sorry I can't remember exactly what it is but if you search BLF hints and asterisk you may get a clue . . .

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
I do that all the time too without issues. So phones didn't change at all, they don't use OSS, so it you're saying it has to be in your FreePBX config?

Yes, that's correct... I didn't do ANYTHING with the phones other than reboot them on the new server...

This has been my experience, too... This got me scratching my head...

To fix it immediately, I did a "subscribe to MWI" on all the GXP devices, and they now reflect it.

I've still not figured out why the TRANSFER>BLF model doesn't work properly either.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
BLF works, but Transfer to BLF doesn't ? Don't think it has to do with that, but what about Advanced->Dialplan->Custom Devices States

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
BLF works, but Transfer to BLF doesn't ? Don't think it has to do with that, but what about Advanced->Dialplan->Custom Devices States

sorry - I'm a bit lost on your menu there.

I don't have Advanced.
I do have Settings>Advanced Settings, but there is no Custom Devices States on that page.

Incredible PBX 13-12.2 for Scientific Linux
Asterisk: UP Apache: UP MySQL: UP
SendMail: UP IPtables: UP SSH: UP
LAN port: UP Fail2Ban: UP Webmin: UP
GV OAUTH: DN PortKnock: DN NR VPN: UP
FaxGetty: UP IAX Modem: UP HylaFax: UP
RAM:2874MB Scientific Linux 6
Disk:430GB
Asterisk 13.7.2 Incredible GUI 12.0.30
Private IP: 10.x.x.xx
Public Info: xx.xx.xx.xxx​

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score

this choice has been depricated at some point (this unit is on 13), and (from what I read) is now permanently enabled....

However, it still doesn't fix the issue.

Here's the REALLY strange thing:

1. I have 2 BLFs assigned to parking slots (71 & 72)... they light and work perfectly (ie., xfer>BLF - - perfectly parks the inbound call, and BLF picks it up)
2. I have various BLFs assigned for other extensions. They *DO NOT WORK AT ALL*

SO why would BLFs work fine for parking slots but not for other extensions??

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
2 things. First, gxp2160 etc has new firmware - I'd give it a try. Second, check their router / firewall for SIP ALG - I recall I had a client that had some odd BLF issues and that was the cause.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
are extensions pjsip?

thx..
yes, they're pjsip..

I tried chan_sip previously but had issues - the device wouldn't register as chan_sip... Do I need to change something on the device to use as a chan_sip?

I'm also having a really weird issue where the extensions are showing 'green' (ie., logged on) but unable to make calls....

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
I was having issues with pjsip. BLF, transfer via BLF, etc
Went to Settings-->Advanced Settings-->Under the heading Dialplan and Operational change SIP Channel Driver to chan_sip
No unless you changed 5060 to 5061

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
I was having issues with pjsip. BLF, transfer via BLF, etc
Went to Settings-->Advanced Settings-->Under the heading Dialplan and Operational change SIP Channel Driver to chan_sip
No unless you changed 5060 to 5061

Interesting.. I've got SIP Channel Driver set to "both"...

i've not made any changes on the device - but it wouldn't register after I converted the extension over to chan_sip...

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
If you are still set for "both" for the sip channel driver then check
Settings-->Advanced Settings-->Asterisk Sip Settings
Select Channel SIP from the options in the upper right of that page
insure that the Bind Port is 5060 located under Advanced General Settings section

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
If you are still set for "both" for the sip channel driver then check
Settings-->Advanced Settings-->Asterisk Sip Settings
Select Channel SIP from the options in the upper right of that page
insure that the Bind Port is 5060 located under Advanced General Settings section

did that as well.. still the same issue..

Extensions go online as soon as I convert them back to pj_sip

EDIT: So... I did that... changed it to 5060 (from 5061)...
just happened to go back in and noticed that it was set BACK to 5061!

apparently something else? is reaching in and setting chan_sip to 5061??

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
2 things. First, gxp2160 etc has new firmware - I'd give it a try. Second, check their router / firewall for SIP ALG - I recall I had a client that had some odd BLF issues and that was the cause.

thx. this si the 2130, and it's got the new firmware on it.
strangely i've had the same issue with another set of 2130's (different client) with the older firmware, but it (miraculously) started resolving itself..

this particular client is on a rentpbx.com box, and i've got a GXP2130 in-house trying to resolve it - - the units work perfectly fine on my own network but fail miserably on the rentpbx (piaf 13) setup.....

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
Did you reboot (not reload) the server after making changes to the channel driver including the bind port

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Did you reboot (not reload) the server after making changes to the channel driver including the bind port

well now there's an intelligent thought... nope, didn't do that.. thx for the reminder.... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.