TIPS Xfinity/Comcast POTS to PIAF?

chewie

Reaction score
Can I ask a dumb question?

In the fall I'll be switching back from my current TV provider back to Comcast (no other competitors in my area :( ) but price wise and such it'll work out for a bit.

Anyhow, I have my current VOIP provider good until next year and will stay with them, even for just a basic plan for work usage and such. When I switch back to Comcast though, I'll end up with a phone line again from them. Rather than let it go to waste, I'd like to integrate it into my existing PIAF setup.

What's the best way to do that? Modem based connection routed to PIAF? Is there a way to use their VOIP functionality from the modem to do this?

chewie

Reaction score
I actually have an Obihai 100 right now which I use for my main home phone system to connect through to my PBX.

Problem right now is, my house is effectively wired for Ethernet now. I have no desire to re-wire the jacks back to RJ11. I'd rather just route Comcast into the PBX if possible. If not I may just forward the # to my normal VOIP carrier.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
I have no desire to re-wire the jacks back to RJ11

No need to actually re-wire, if you don't want to. Just Google "RJ45 to RJ11 adapter", and you'll be able to plug-n-play painlessly.

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
chewie

The number forward may be your easiest solution (no hardware needed). By the way, you wouldn't need to re-wire anything. You would just connect the Obi's FXO port directly to the Comcast POTS connection and configure the Obi to function as a trunk or extension. Everything else would be done over Ethernet to the PBX.

As I have a couple of POTS phones (my cordless being one!) I still like, I have an Obi 110 connected up to the existing house wiring via the FXS port. The outside NID has the telco line completely disconnected (no need to supply the phone company with working dial-tone). At present, I don't use the FXO port on the device. The Obi's have been problem-free unlike the Linksys PAP2 that preceded it.

chewie

Reaction score
Hmmm.

I may just grab another Obi then in the fall to set that up.
Would be nice to have their service as another trunk.

I do have one of the Linksys SPA devices...and the only reason I wouldn't bother to use it (though I could try again) is the damned echo issue it had with VOIP.

mp3geek

Guru
Reaction score
You will need an Obi110, the 100 doesn't have the necessary FXO port. They can be a little tedious to get set up, but calls sound just fine through them, unlike the Linksys SPA 3000/3102. Echo really shouldn't be a problem, since the "local loop" analog portion of the new phone line will only consist of the cabling between the cable modem phone jack and the Obi.

StealthGT

Reaction score
I'm already using the setup you are describing with Comcast phone lines and PIAF VOIP Server.
My analog gateway is a Cisco SPA8800 (4 FXS+ 4 FXO) which is working really well, even faxing with a traditional fax machine is no problem.

faixbp

Reaction score
I'm already using the setup you are describing with Comcast phone lines and PIAF VOIP Server.
My analog gateway is a Cisco SPA8800 (4 FXS+ 4 FXO) which is working really well, even faxing with a traditional fax machine is no problem.

Hi StealthGT,

I'm thinking of purchasing a SPA8800. Sounds like it performs well for you. How difficult was it to setup with PIAF? How is the echo cancellation?

Thanks.

--faixbp

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Agree with @briankelly63 ... You'll be far happier with your results using a SIP trunk than a make-it-do with analog/digital conversion via any ATA. With your Comcast DID forwarded to a SIP trunk, there won't be any echo or audio level issues to futz with.

A low-cost SIP DID from a reputable provider (I use Vitelity) and, depending on your call volume, select either "pay-as-you-go" or an "unlimited" option for your service. (Pay-as-you-go is 1.2 cents per minute.) Additionally, with Vitelity you specify the CallerID number for outgoing calls, giving you the option of showing the Comcast DID and keeping the Vitelity DID "hidden".

/Pete./

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
--

I have a Comcast service, and had done both data and phone. When it went in it was $10.00 / Month for phone to be added / included. Then it Jumped to $20., recently I noticed the bill was up, so I looked closely and saw that they were again raising the rates to $40.00+ for the dial tone. A call told me yes, the rates were going up, no I could not get a lower cost plan unless I disconnected for 120 days completely.

So, I dumped the dial tone after porting the number to my VoIP provider. Very happy -

---------------------

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahee
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.