FYI Where is "System Admin" module?

wpnsmith

Reaction score
Raspberry Pi B+ running:
IncrediblePBX 3.11.12 Update 29
FreePBX 2.11.0.38
Asterisk 11.11.0

So http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/F2/System+Admin+Module says there's a System Admin module that does all kinds of neat things I want to fiddle with, but I can't find it under "Admin" and it's not an installable module under "Module Admin", is it gone or obsolete or not included in the Raspberry Pi version?

Thanks!

markieb

Reaction score
System Admin Module is a paid for commercial module.
You need to enable Commercial in the repositories in Module admin to be able to see it to install.
You can buy a license at http://www.schmoozecom.com/freepbx/freepbx-modules.php

Since I don't have 'PI I'm not sure if it's available for it though.

Hope that helps :)

wpnsmith

Reaction score
Hmm, this: http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FCM/FreePBX+Distro says "Registering your FreePBX system to the FreePBX/Schmooze Portal allows you to purchase Commercial Module addons to your FreePBX system."

But the registration process is in the "System Admin" module.

So enable the Commercial repo in Module Admin and install "System Admin", but it has at least a dependency for Zend Guard, and eventually find:

http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/faq/
Can I install System Admin or any other module that requires Zend Guard Loader?

Unfortunately no. Zend Guard Loader is closed source and only available on x86 platforms.

So, either lots more money for an x86 box and starting over, or stick with the RPi and skip all the neat features in "System Admin". Decision, decisions...

Thanks for the help in figuring this out, though!

james

Guru
Reaction score
Sysadmin has free (as in beer) features and paid features. The sysadmin module is currently only on EL based platforms like schmoozeos, centos, red hat etc. The pi image is Debian based so it is not compatible currently.

wpnsmith

Reaction score
It's not so much the EL versus Debian thing as it is the ARM versus Intel CPU thing. That said, not sure how/if you can install PIAF or FreePBX on Debian with an Intel CPU, but that's a bit of a rathole...

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
There's a lot of factually incorrect dialogue in here so I'm going to clear the air with a more concise response from the FreePBX/Schmoozecom Development team (of which James is a member but he didn't go into enough detail for everyone here)

First off all commercial modules in FreePBX require the "sysadmin" module. This module itself requires two things "Zend Guard" and the "sysadmin-rpm" package.

Here's some things to know about Zend and Zend Guard.
  • Zend is the primary company that sponsors the PHP project. In a way they are like Schmooze com. PHP itself is opensource but they provide value added benifits on the side.
  • One of the benefits they provide is "Zend Guard". Which is a file obfuscater for PHP (all PHP files are plain text/open source at their base level), said files can also be bound to a license file
  • "Zend Guard" is only compiled to work on/with intel-like processors. It won't work with ARM processors.
  • "Zend Guard" WILL work on debian/ubuntu/red hat/fedora/centos/freebsd as long as they ARE using an intel based processor (AMD processors are, at their base, Intel clones so it would work on them as well
Here are some things to know about the "Sysadmin-rpm"
  • It is written entirely by Schmoozecom.
  • It manages system level things that FreePBX can not control
  • One of these "things" is license file management
  • It was ONLY written for CentOS based systems
  • It can be made (hackily) to work with debian/ubuntu/freebsd but with considerable headache and it is not supported in any ways shape or form
  • It could be installed on and ARM system but whats the point because "Zend Guard" is needed to utilize it's full functionality
I'm hoping that clears up all of the rumors and bad advice in this thread.

We also support enabling our commercial "repos" (which includes the sysadmin-rpm) on any CentOS based system. It does not have to be the FreePBX distro and can infact be PIAF, the only requirement is CentOS (also at one point there was a PIAF version that had the repos enabled by default, not sure if that is the case anymore there are too many releases for me to follow). If you are curious about that you can look here: http://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2752580

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
tm1000: Re: "too many releases for me to follow"

The Schmooze repos are/have been enabled and the Zend Guard components are/have been loaded on all PIAF systems since PIAF 2.0. That includes the one and only PIAF 3, our second major PIAF software release in the last 3 years. Still waiting on that first (whopper) commission check. :santa:

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
wardmundy You take ONE single comment from my thread and take it and run. I don't know why you took that one comment out of everything I said...

You have many releases of your software on many different platforms. It's hard for me to follow. I said nothing wrong about it, nor did I attack it. User's choice is fine, but I honestly did not know which ones support commercial modules without installing and checking every single one on your download list: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pbxinaflash/files/?source=navbar

I am just commenting on fact, look at the link above, can you honestly tell me you dont have too many releases and on that note didn't the 1.7.7.5 releases stop working last year? Why are they still there?

PS: There are 69 distro download links on that page alone.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I personally provide a lot of Incredible PBX builds for many platforms. But the subject was CentOS releases, and there are two and only two PBX in a Flash releases that support CentOS, version 2 and version 3.

We keep older PIAF versions on SourceForge because of the GPL requirement to include source code for at least 3 years. Since our source code is included in the builds themselves, we have chosen to leave the images on the site. Version 2 provided upgrade scripts to keep things current between point releases. Version 3 allows us to issue slipstream updates as necessary. We try to keep both to a minimum.

As for "too many releases," I can honestly tell you that PIAF has only 2 versions in circulation. Incredible PBX has almost a dozen on different platforms ranging from Cloud-based systems for Amazon, RentPBX, and Digital Ocean to numerous virtual machine platforms as well as tiny devices such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black, CuBox, and Pogoplug. Is it too many platforms? Not if you happen to use one of them. Why does it bother you so much??

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Why does it bother you so much??

It doesn't bother me. It bothered you which is why you are the one who took my sole comment (I'm talking about 69 different downloads here) about releases and turned it into a full blown reply.

Thanks for the answers on everything and I do know the 1.7.7.x releases work as of now. But I do remember a thread recently where-as someone was still trying to use them but the downloader/compiler part was broken because you removed those scripts from the internet. That can be jarring for users when they expect something they download to work and then they go to install it and it doesn't. That said, I know it works now so it's all good.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
tm1000: A link was provided for that user. Most folks prefer newer releases but he had an old system to maintain.

The topic was...

Which platforms support Schmooze commercial releases?

The answer is both PIAF 2 and 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youssefameachaq
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.