TIPS What all is overwritten doing incrediblePBX install (on BBB)

JimLS

Reaction score
I have a Beaglebone Black that I started with Ubuntu 14.04 image with piaf. I then added some other programs before I started working on asterisk. Now I see that the incrediblePBX install overwrites some things and should be done first. Does this just affect stuff to do with asterisk (That's no problem as I haven't customized anything there) or does it also clobber other applications. I am guessing the most likely to be hit would be some email customization.

It wouldn't be a huge thing to start over but wondering if that is necessary...

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Actually you started out with the Asterisk for BBB image ( http://www.beaglebone-asterisk.org ) also known as RASPBX for BBB which has Ubuntu, Asterisk, FreePBX, Hylafax, chan_dongle and Exim 4 precomplied and pre-loaded. It's a turn-key FPBX system that you simply load on a Micro SD card and boot your system. That is not a product of PBIAF. The Incredible PBX script for BBB is a product of PBIAF. When you run the IPBX script on top of your running BBB-RASPBX system, it does not significantly alter anything but does modify some of the existing programs and settings and also adds programs / settings that are required to run the IPBX features. IIRC, it does wipe your existing Asterisk/FPBX settings. Best bet is get your BBB running and updated with the base RASPBX image (but don't set up any trunks or any other permanent PBX settings), resize your SD card, run the IPBX scripts, reboot into RASPBX with IPBX , make a copy of the system disk with the 'raspbx-backup' utility (keep the copy in a safe place in case you goof up your system later) update that resultant system and then run a FreePBX backup of your base RASPBX-IPBX base system (keep copy offline for later restore if needed). Then add your trunks, extensions, whatever. Then backup with Freepbx again and store the B/U offline. If you have some additional storage space on an flash drive, do another raspbx-backup of your fully configured system and store that offline as well. That way if your SD card craps out you only need to restore the raspbx-backup created image and then restore your latest FPBX backup on top of that.

This guidance is provided having used this system for the last year or so.

Also, if your BBB ever hangs during an 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y', you may want to try the guidance provided at the bottom of this webpage: http://askubuntu.com/questions/4694...-error-ubuntu-14-04-unable-to-install-updates . My BBB would hang setting up the updated udev or mysql or whatever. I didn't discover this work around until recently having spent countless wasted hours of frustration trying to update my BBB RASPBX system. In fact I got so frustrated (o.k. I was pissed) I put it away for awhile.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
100% correct. The proper sequence:
Code:
1. Base install on preferred platform
2. Incredible PBX install
3. Anything else you wish to add

JimLS

Reaction score
Thanks! That clears up my confusion on who did what on the BBB software. I was always a little unclear on that...

Will changing Exim to Postfix break anything? I have postfix config working with att account with the help of stunnel after much fiddling and don't want to sort it out with another mail program.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Change anything you like after completing steps #1 and #2.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Change anything you like after completing steps #1 and #2.

My suggestion of doing a system image backup at this point is highly advisable especially if you are going to start tinkering with the default programs. I mentioned the raspbx-backup utility but you can also make an img copy of your micro SD on a Windows machine using Win32 Disk Imager in reverse (read the card instead of writing to it). You do this by opening Win32 DI, selecting the disk letter of the mSD card then type a name for the image file (ending with .img) in the text input box, press
"read" and it will read your card and save the disk as an image file on your Windoze machine. That same img file can be later written back to the mSD card just as you did when you created the original RASPBX system card with Win32 DI.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
That same img file can be later written back to the mSD card

Or, to a spare SD card to have a no-panic standby system all ready for action!

JimLS

Reaction score
I had set up mounting of a folder on a linux PC. I could backup there although the windows solution is easy. I am going to back up some of the config files for other programs too, then start the modifications. I have a much better idea of how to proceed now. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.