TIPS Voicemail to Email on Raspberry Pi

jeff20737

Reaction score
I'm new to Incredible PBX, and the Pi. So far I have made great progress on my initial setup thanks to Nerdvittles and this forum. Thanks, guys.

I'm having trouble getting voicemail messages to be emailed. This has to be a common issue, because it is posted in the 'Read this thread BEFORE posting here..." thread. However, the link there goes to a 'no such file' message so I assume it was lost. I have also googled the site and have not found a solution, so here goes.

I've got Exim setup to use my Gmail account and can successfully send myself an email from the command line. I also have my email address in my extension. I leave myself a voicemail (who are we kidding, who else would call me?), and then...nothing. The voicemail stays in the box, no email get sent. This is what I see in the maillog (includes my successful test email):

Capture2 - Copy.JPG
Status, if helpful:

status.JPG

Any ideas? Appreciate your help!

PBX@Home

Reaction score
Configuring Exim to use Gmail as SMTP Relay (ignore hyphens below):
  1. Run /root/email-setup:
  2. Choose second option: Mail Sent by SmartHost
  3. System Mail Name: localhost
  4. Listen on: 127.0.0.1
  5. Other Domains: leave blank
  6. Other Machines: leave blank
  7. IP of Outgoing SmartHost: smtp.gmail.com::587 (you must use two colons!)
  8. Hide Local Mail Name: No
  9. Dial on Demand: No
  10. Delivery Method: mbox
  11. Split Config: No
  12. Add Your Gmail Credentials to passwd.client: nano -w /etc/exim4/passwd.client
  13. Entry should look like this: *.google.com:[email protected]:yourpassword
  14. Update Exim by running this command: update-exim4.conf
  15. Restart your mail gateway: service sendmail restart

AND

MP3 Playback of Voicemails with Optional Transcription. And we have a bonus application for you as well. By default, Asterisk voicemails that are delivered to your email address won’t play back on many computers and smartphones. This script fixes that while also providing the option to transcribe the first 15 seconds of the message into text. We’ve only tested this with PIAF-Green with Asterisk 11, but it also should work just fine with Incredible PBX 11 for the Raspberry Pi. To install it, log into your server as root and issue the following commands. If you want to activate the transcription feature, edit the downloaded script and change transcribe=0 to transcribe=1.

cd /root
wget http://pbxinaflash.com/installmp3stt.sh
chmod +x installmp3stt.sh
./installmp3stt.sh

Once you have run the installation script, you’ll need to make a couple of adjustments in the FreePBX GUI. Log into FreePBX 2.11 and choose Settings, Voicemail Admin, Settings and make the following changes:

format: wav|wav49
mailcmd: /usr/sbin/sendmailmp3

Now leave yourself a voicemail message after making certain that you’ve entered an email delivery address for the extension. Enjoy and Happy Fourth!

jeff20737

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I had actually already run through these steps probably half a dozen times before posting, and tried again just now for good measure, but no luck.

To clarify, my email is indeed working--I do get what I send from the command line--it's just that nothing happens when a voicemail is left.

PBX@Home

Reaction score
In the extension is the proper email address defined? Beyond that, a guru (or someone that knows more) will be needed. My knowledge is limited and I have Pi that I set up but it's all working.

jeff20737

Reaction score
Yes, the email address is set up correctly in the extensions. Even if it wasn't, I would think I would at least be seeing some sort of indication in the maillog that an email was attempted? I'm seeing nothing at all to indicate an outbound attempt when a voicemail gets left.

jeff20737

Reaction score
Hey guys, going crazy over this.

If I can get an email I generate from the command line, I would assume that my Gmail setup itself is good, right?

What else could I possibly check in PIAF to get the voicemails to be emailed? I have properly formed email addresses in the extension, the extensions are set to email, I've set the fromstring, the serveremail, and still nothing.

Thank you!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Yes, your Gmail setup is fine if you can send yourself an email from the command line using the command below. Can you access voicemail messages using a phone? I'd start there. If that works, then I'd recommend you create a new SD card from scratch and begin again. Add one piece at a time and see when/if anything breaks in the process.

Code:
echo "test" | mail -s testmessage [email protected]

Rrrr

Tink
Reaction score
Great solution, thanks.

Not sure if it was my mistake but after I upgraded to MP3, the emailbody got shortened.
I just had to reconstruct the original text.

Here it is:

Dear ${VM_NAME}:\n\n\tjust wanted to let you know you were just left a ${VM_DUR} long message \nin mailbox ${VM_MAILBOX} from ${VM_CALLERID}, on ${VM_DATE}, so you might\nwant to check it when you get a chance. Thanks!\n

PBX@Home

Reaction score
But here's a question for you Rrrr, when you look at it again in te GUI, does it appear shortened again? I know mine looks short, but does have all the information I initially put in.

Rrrr

Tink
Reaction score
No, it looks complete.
I found out as I received emails with a shortened message text as below and now its ok.

Dear Firstname Lastname:

just wanted to let you know you were just

Reaction score
This works great. I have a question though - I want to use the flags VM_NAME and VM_CALLERID to show the Caller ID and the caller's name if it is in my Asteridex lookup. If I put these flags in my email body they appear exactly as I typed them and do not produce any results. Has anyone a tip on this please?

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
I would try using CID Superfecta to scrape your Asteridex entry to set the correct entry. Here' what I use in the subject/body. Someone else may have another idea.

Body
Code:
A new voicemail has been received in your mailbox ${VM_MAILBOX} from ${VM_CALLERID}.\n\nSincerely,\nWard\

Subject
Code:
New Voice Mail Received ${VM_MAILBOX} from ${VM_CALLERID}

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
The message would look like:

A new voicemail has been received in your mailbox 4970 from "Alvin Watson" <5415551212>.

Sincerely,
Ward

Reaction score
Thanks, that worked (simple case of me not formatting the tags properly).

This whole phone service never ceases to impress me, I only originally wanted to set up emails to notify me of updates since wardmundy highlighted a security vulnerability I didn't know about. Now I've got voicemails saving to mp3, getting an email telling me who they're from and a transcript too. Out of curiosity, how does the transcript service work, is it via Google?

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Yes, the email transcription is via google. And as such, it is currently limited to 15 seconds of the total message.

For me, that is enough to often get the gist of what is being said.

Someone has a utility (pay per use/monthly fee) which will do any length message. Not sure of the legality, etc. since it also uses google. You can search the forum to find it.

Andrew

Lavarock7

Reaction score
I am getting empty MP3s in email however the voicemail in the PBX mailbox is there. I left a 34 sec voicemail.

Incrediblepbx 3.11.12 for Raspberry pi B was loaded today and this was my first attept to enable this feature.

I enabled the transcribe=1 as shown above in the setup.

These changes were also made:

format: wav|wav49
mailcmd: /usr/sbin/sendmailmp3

When it would not send a non-empty mp3, I redid the "MP3 Playback of Voicemails with Optional Transcription" section again with the same results.

---
Dear 701:

just wanted to let you know you were just left a 0:34 long message (number 5)
in mailbox 701 from "WIRELESS CALLER" <**********>, on Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 10:18:57 PM,
so you might want to check it when you get a chance. Thanks!

--Asterisk

-e
Transcription (First 15 Seconds):

Openning message.flac

The attachment was msg0004 at 0 bytes

---
Suggestions?

Lavarock7

Reaction score
I disabled transcription, but my main issue is that I am getting a zero byte attachment sent to me in email while the actual voicemail message in the mailbox has audio.

Thus the copying/transition of the message from voicemail to sendmail appears not to be working.

Reaction score
I've had a search around but not found any answers so apologies in advance for raising an old thread, but... Last week I turned on two step verification for Google. I had a voicemail but no email and the penny dropped, when I activated two step verification this no longer works to send me an email for voicemail. Short of turning off two step verification, which I don't really want to do, is there a workaround to get voicemails emailing to me again please?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Why not set up a new Gmail account without 2-step authentication and use that for sending emails to you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ejrubin
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.