TIPS Voicemail to Email Configuration

Albert S

Reaction score
As I run my PIAF boxes onsite all the time I need to rely email, as port25 always blocked by Verizon, Cox and Comcast.

I have a Debian ispCP box where I am able to relay my email(postfix) via google apps but on PIAF I've tried few solutions and emails are still not delivered.

Where should I start looking in to? I've tried
Gotenks solution with Postfix
http://pbxinaflash.com/community/threads/voicemail-to-email-guide.72/
Couldn't get it to work. I can post logs if need be.

I was not able to view below url from a sticky post;
If you are not getting your voicemails as emails (and you have run setup-mail): Read this thread.
(http://pbxinaflash.com/community/th...-sendmail-smtp-gateway-on-port-587.570/?t=570)

Any input is very appreciated.

Thanks.

│ PIAF Installed Version = 2.0.6.4 under *HARDWARE* │
│ FreePBX Version = 2.10.0.2 │
│ Running Asterisk Version = 1.8.23.0 │
│ Asterisk Source Version = 1.8.23.0 │
│ Dahdi Source Version = 2.7.0 │
│ Libpri Source Version = 1.4.12 │
│ IP Address = 192.168.1.53 on eth0 │
│ Operating System = CentOS release 6.4 (Final) │
│ Kernel Version = 2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.i686 - 32 Bit │

Last edited by a moderator:

matthew

Guru
Reaction score
Most ISPs will run their own mail server for their users to send email through. Relay through that. If the ISP doesn't have their own SMTP outbound server, they are probably a busness ISP, in which case you should be able to run your own relay server.

If this isn't what you are asking about, can you please be more specific about the problem you are having? Are you asking how to configure sendmail to forward mail to a relay?

Albert S

Reaction score
Thanks so much Matthew,

I have 3 PIAF boxes that can't send voicemails to emails and I am just trying to get that working.

I've enabled the VM on the extensions and selected to email them out with attachments.

What is my next step? I did run setup-mail but it only asked the full domain name and I've entered it still no result.

matthew

Guru
Reaction score
PIAF/IPBX need a little bit of post-install setup under the hood. One of those things can be setting up your PABX to send email to a server that can access the rest of the world. Your first step is to find out what the name of the outbound mail server is at your ISP. You may have to contact support. Once you know that, log into the command line of your PIAF servers and do the following.

Type "ping your.ispsmailserver.com". This will test your DNS is configured, and you can reach the mail server.

- Edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc (ie. nano /etc/mail/sendmail.mc)
- Edit the SMART_HOST line to look like
define (`SMART_HOST’, `your.ispsmailserver.com’)dnl
- Save, then run /etc/mail/make
- Run service sendmail restart

That should get things pointed in the right direction at least.

Albert S

Reaction score
Thank you very much Matthew, I'll give this a try.

So with this method don't I need to define any credentials? Isn't there an authentication credentials/method I have to manually put in the PIAF?

Also would it be possible to use Gmail for this? Its not a must as long as I send it out I would be fine.

Thanks again

matthew

Guru
Reaction score
The issue you seem to be having is you can't send outside your network, so without a lot more fiddling around, gmail wouldn't be an option. If you just use Comcast/Cox/Verizon/whatever ISP your PIAF server is connected to's mailserver as the smart host, you'll be fine. Those ISPs are big enough that they will have a mailserver for their users to use for this purpose, especially as they block outbound mail heading directly to the outside world.

Edit: I forgot to say, you won't need to authenticate if you use the ISP you are connected to's mailserver. They will see you come from an IP address on their network and allow you to send mail out through them.

I probably should add that I'm in Australia, and while we have our own Internet "giants", I'm not familiar with any particular quirks of the ISPs you mentioned. Most operate in a similar way.

Albert S

Reaction score
This is great info I'll give a try.

Thanks, I really appreciate.

I'll update how it goes.

Albert S

Reaction score
So seems like I'll have to configure sendmail with username and password even though they recognize my IP is in their subnet.

Do you have a working step by step configuration directions? I have found few for Gmail that looked very detailed and confirmed that they worked by comments.

Also if I have to get in to the SMTP authentication with send mail shouldn't I just use GMAIL? at least my configuration would be same at every location.
Rather than dealing with different ISP's mail servers, what do you think?

Albert S

Reaction score
I can't get to the 1st link Hykos can you? It just circles.

Also on the 2nd link I should be looking to the very first post of Ward right?

Thanks.

Albert S

Reaction score
I've followed the instructions of mysolutions.it
I got the error below in the logs.. Then I changed 587 to 465 as well but same result
Do I have to run any other email pr PIAF related utility or tool to set email up after doing the manual relay changes?

The original message was received at Fri, 23 Aug 2013 07:46:40 -0400
from pbx.local [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>
(reason: 530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to smtp.gmail.com:
>>> MAIL From:<[email protected]> SIZE=663
<<< 530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at
<<< 530 5.5.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 r8sm22805075qez.1
- gsmtp
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

leemason

Guru
Reaction score
I'd recommend getting the Sysadmin Pro module from Schmooze Com. One of the things it does really well is to allow the setup of mail relay via an external mail server so does it all for you. It's only $25.00 which to my mind is pretty good value.

Albert S

Reaction score
Hey I'd love to get that module.

Is this per device or it's a licence that I can use on all of my boxes?
Do I do it via PIAF or via schmooze.com

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimbrown
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.