FOOD FOR THOUGHT Vestalink audio issues - all of a sudden

yajrendrag

Reaction score
Today Vestalink broke - or so it seems..

Varying behavior on inbound and outbound calls.. started today with 1 way audio on inbound. now outbound calls seem to work, but inbound calls result in no audio in either direction. This has been functioning flawlessly since January with Vestalink... all of my other providers trunks (voip.ms, vitelity) still work without any trouble - i.e, 2 way audio no matter inbound or outbound. No changes on my end although aftter the trouble started i did reboot piaf.

i tried disabling SIP ALG in my router, but (a) it has been working fine with it on for 10 months , (b) after disabling it, the phone doesn't ring on inbound calls any longer, and (c) all of my other providers trunks work with SIP ALG enabled.

Compared asterisk log file between inbound vitelity call and inbound vestalink call - they look identical except for the trunk specific differences.

other recent changes over past few months (although all has been working fine even with these changes):
-use of ring.to (in above i bypassed ring.to and dialed direct vitelity and vestalink DIDs)
-my dynamic IP address form provider finally seems to have changed in past 4-5 days after years of it staying the same... DynDNS picked up the change; of course if it couldn't find me, incoming calls would not happen anyway..
-after trouble started w/ 1 way, i did update a few asterisk modules:
speeddial 2.11.0.2 (current: 2.11.0.1)
pinsets 2.11.0.8 (current: 2.11.0.7)
endpointman 2.11.7 (current: 2.11.6)
queues 2.11.0.27 (current: 2.11.0.25)
-vestalink cloudSoftphone client started acting in push mode - meaning even if it's not running in android inbound calls will make it run.

i did send a note to vestalink - as i mentioned - this is all of a sudden - yesterday it was all working fine and i didn't touch anything until i discovered it wasn't working today...

any ideas?

PIAF Status: https://www.dropbox.com/s/guju7f5g4euxeaz/piaf-3.6.5-status.png?dl=0

thanks, Jay

yajrendrag

Reaction score
not sure why, but it appears to be solved by swapping out the router. Am puzzled because it was working with the original router and then one day just stopped (no changes to router or PIAF). moreover, it didn't break universally, just broke for one provider. regardless, it's now working again as expected.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
What router did you have during the issue? I ask as I'm using a Netgear R7000 an usually reboot it at the first of every month to clear it as there is a ton of traffic, including video that traverses it.

I too use Vestalink, but haven't experienced what you describe.

john p

Reaction score
I have found that Vestalink has momentary outages that cause varying errors without any customer notice. The failures I've experienced include incoming calls failing without hitting the failover #, outbound calls failing, both while the trunk maintained registration. The 2 links I have for their status are http://status.vestalink.com/ and https://twitter.com/VestaLinkStatus. Neither seem inclusive. Tech support response has been along the lines of sorry our momentary problem affected you. Since it's momentary, changing anything on my end makes it look like I "fixed" it. Good luck.
John

dandy_don

Reaction score
Not sure why, but Vestalink now has no outbound audio on calls initiated from inside my SOHO network. I can make calls outbound but there is no audio either direction. However, I can receive calls into the SOHO on the Vestalink DID with fine audio in both directions. This was working fine on a beaglebone black incredible pbx and I've just built another similar system today and the problem is identical. FWIW, the Vitelity inbound and outbound calling works fine on another incredible pbx sitting on the same internetwork, behind the same firewall. I am not forwarding any ports to either pbx, and the router has not changed...

steve54301

Guru
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. Inbound works with audio... outbound the call connects with no audio either way. It worked fine a year ago, and I have changed nothing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.