TUTORIAL Upgrade RasPi to RasPi 2

stmcknig

Reaction score
Ordered the Pi 2 but not sure when it will ship back in stock. Currently running on Pi 1 - is an "upgrade" as simple as moving the SD card over ? The articles I have read claim backward chip compatibility, but anybody here already tried ?

Is there any in-place upgrade needed/available ?

Thanks!

-- Stuart

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
stmcknig: I wouldn't think it would work at all by just moving an existing setup on an SD card for a Raspberry Pi to the Raspberry Pi 2. This is because there was no support for ARM 7 in the older Raspbian versions of the operating system so a new kernel will be required.

Start with the existing SD card in the older RasPi device. Log in as root and update and upgrade it to the latest Raspbian release. Then you need a new kernel to support the ARM 7. Once that's fixed, shut down the RasPi, move the upgraded SDcard to the RasPi 2, and boot. Now you should be good to go.

WARNING: Make a backup image BEFORE you begin. Don't try this with a 4GB SDcard!

Here are the commands that worked for me starting on the original Raspberry Pi:
Code:
rpi-update
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get dist-upgrade -y

The entire upgrade procedure takes about 35 minutes. At the 30-minute mark, you'll get a PHP5 prompt. Choose keep original configuration. About 4 minutes later, you'll get a similar Apache 2 prompt. Choose keep original configuration. After the rpi-update step, halt the system and swap the SDcard to your RasPi 2.

stmcknig

Reaction score
Thank you Ward, I will have both old and new Pi available and plan to back up the config and the SD card before engaging science experiment ;-)

I will let you know how I boldly get on...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thank you Ward, I will have both old and new Pi available and plan to back up the config and the SD card before engaging science experiment ;-)

I will let you know how I boldly get on...

See the modified tutorial above before you begin. ;)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
p.s. This will provide an excellent opportunity to compare the GUI performance of the new Incredible PBX for Asterisk-GUI to "the old way" and draw your own conclusions. :arabia:

B9lvj73IYAAniS7.jpg:large

moose

Reaction score
I tested this. Took an dd image of my pbx and restored it onto a spare 16GB Sandisk MicroSD card I had lying around, then started.
Well, 3.5 hours later it was still pounding away doing all sorts of horrors. Wait I/O was off the scale...suspicious. Generating locales was taking an hour for each one.
Eventually canned it, and booted up my old microSD.

When I looked at the card I used for the upgrade, I was shocked to find it was a class 2!! :eek: (Well, actually given what happened, it now made sense)
I have no idea where I got that card from - must have come as a boobie-prize with some toilet paper or something. Didn't know I owned one of those.

Anyway, let that be a warning - double-check what class your card is before you start. :wacko:

Code:
jackass() {
   if [ Doofus = true ]; then
       skip Card-class check
       experience pain
       acknowledge stupidity
       start over from scratch
   fi
}

I'll try again another day with a "right, proper" card, not this piece of junk.

stmcknig

Reaction score
I overlooked the change from SD to microSD and thought, hmm that ain't going to fit....fortunately I have a bunch of adapters so no abort mission required.

So far so good although the GUI doesn't seem any faster - unlike when I did a quick vanilla install against the CuBox which also quad core and really flew. Is this because I am still running the FreePBX gui ?

If I haven't yet used up my quota of dumb questions, can I replace that with the one you screen capp'd Ward with the PBIAF logo ?

stmcknig

Reaction score
Actually it does seem quicker rendering the CDR so maybe without a side by side stopwatch, I was being unfair until things had compiled maybe...

moose

Reaction score
I tried this again with a faster card, and it basically failed again (hung up on those locale generations again). I tried once more, same result, even after I'd removed all but 1 locale... Was I :beatdeadhorse5:??

Solution!! It turns out that I needed to upgrade the Pi's firmware (rpi-update) first, and then it was good as gold. Hopefully that helps someone else out...

I find it's a bit snappier in response times than before (as expected), but is probably still constricted by sheer FreePBX framework inefficiencies combined with the uSD card speed (even class 10).

:thumbsup:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.