SOLVED Unconditional Call Forwarding and Asterisk log

brhunt

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a client who would like to track call forwards/unforwards daily in a report.

I thought that this would be simple, just read the asterisk log file and look for *72 and *74 calls.

But, something odd (to me) occurs. When I dial *72 and turn on forwarding for an extension, nothing is logged...? *74 cancel call forwarding does log the session.

Then, I tied it via buttons on my Linksys SPA962. Hit the forward button and enter the extension. Nothing logged. Then hit the cancel forward button, nothing logged.

Shouldn't all of these actions show in the asterisk log?

Thanks.

Bryan Hunt

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
The buttons on the phone do not involve Asterisk in the call-forwarding process. It simply sends a 302 Moved or something similar in response to the call with the new SIP URI as set be the user.
As for *72, you should see a log with at minimum of an audio file playback of the file (don't know the name off of the top of my head) that says "Call Forwarding Unconditional Activated" or "Call Forward Unconditional Deactivated.

brhunt

Reaction score
Ah... that phone must "intercept" the *72 as well.

I tried from a different phone (different make/model) and the *72 and the *74 both log as expected...

Interesting... and unexpected...

I tried from a third phone (make/model of client's phones) and both the *72 and *74 sequences are logged.

So, I should be okay to use the log for what I need.

I didn't know that certain phone models handled that differently. Thanks for the tip!

Bryan Hunt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.