BUG Ubuntu Upgrade Breaks MySQL

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
I have a test droplet for testing package updates now after some previous bad experiences.

There are now 22 packages available for update on Ubuntu and they are all safe from what I can see except for udev and libudev1.

I went through each individual package and installed them one by one then rebooted. It wasn't until I got to the two aforementioned packages that mysql broke. I have done this several times and installed them in varying orders and each time it came down to those two packages.

So beware when running updates on Ubuntu.

FATAL ERROR

DB Error: connect failed

Trace Back

/var/www/html/admin/libraries/db_connect.php:71 die_freepbx()
[0]: DB Error: connect failed

/var/www/html/admin/bootstrap.php:85 require_once()
[0]: /var/www/html/admin/libraries/db_connect.php

/etc/freepbx.conf:9 require_once()
[0]: /var/www/html/admin/bootstrap.php

/var/www/html/admin/config.php:99 include_once()
[0]: /etc/freepbx.conf

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 11.10.02 PM.png

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. After looking into this, it appears that launching apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade cannot replace udev. This in turn causes the loopback interface (127.0.0.1) to fail. This results in MySQL not being able to load (among MANY other problems) because it cannot communicate over port 5038 3306 on the loopback interface. In other words, the upgrade is a mess which seems to be a "not uncommon experience" with Ubuntu upgrades. Hopefully, they'll get it sorted out in a few days.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Treat Ubuntu like your aquarium. Don't randomly introduce new fish until you are certain they are healthy.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
By the way, installing from scratch on the Ubuntu platform still works fine, even with apt-get upgrade. The reason is there are very few dependencies in the minimal install. That's probably where the Ubuntu devs do their testing. :crazy:

Problem is that's not the way people actually use Ubuntu in the real world. After you add things that actually use running applications, then the Ubuntu upgrade fails because it can't replace certain components that already are in use.

If you get in a crunch for a newer server, build one from the ground up. Then use Incredible Backup and Restore to move your data from the old server to the new one.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
This results in MySQL not being able to load (among MANY other problems) because it cannot communicate over port 5038 on the loopback interface.

For clarity. Mysql runs on port 3306, Asterisk Manager runs on 5038.

Just in case some one on the internet looks this up in the future so that they don't get confused.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks, tm1000. Fixed. And the absence of loopback would break Asterisk Manager and FreePBX as well as MySQL.

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Ok so it's looking like Ubuntu might not be a good long term solution at this point then. Perhaps I will move to CentOS7 when 13 is stable.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Ok so it's looking like Ubuntu might not be a good long term solution at this point then. Perhaps I will move to CentOS7 when 13 is stable.

Just don't upgrade without a reason. In WebMin, we've already preconfigured things to automatically load security updates so there's little to worry about. Doesn't mean things can't come unglued, but it's pretty unlikely. RedHat's track record with updates isn't much better.

Remember The Aquarium Rule and you'll be just fine!

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
Just going off past personal experience with PIAF-Green and CentOS 6.5 it seemed really stable the last few years. I know that Ubuntu and 7 are both really new to Incredible and will probably be much better later on.

Is 6.5 still viable as a base for 13?

tfcarlin

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to work around the "udev" bug? I've created the "lo" interface by hand and that helps get mysql working again but doesn't allow for udev to install.

Thanks, Tim

jeff.h

Guru
Reaction score
The only thing I have been able to do (and this is only because I have a completely hosted solution) is create a new instance (Droplet at DO) that is a fully updated and patched version of Incredible. I take a snapshot of that to use as a base then use Incredible Backup/Restore and move all the configs, settings, etc. over to each the new instance one by one.

It's actually a fairly easy enough process, but I really wish udev would update in place without requiring a reinstall every time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.