SOLVED Ubuntu Halt & Reboot Fail

fizadmin

Guru
Reaction score
Here's a relatively odd one - I have PIAF running with the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installation. It appears to run just fine so far (using it with Cisco SPA525G2).

What's odd is that my specific hardware that I use to run it on can no longer shut down via 'power off', or 'shutdown -h now' or 'reboot' or any other way *after* the installation of IncrediblePBX.

When installing the minimal ISO install of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on the same hardware, all these various shutdown procedures work just fine - then I install incrediblePBX, it installs fine, and upon finishing the installation the machine no longer shutdown or reboots.

As an added bit of information, installing an earlier Centos based incrediblePBX/PIAF allows the box to shut down just fine - so this is only under the latest Ubuntu 14.04 image.

This is on a Dell optiplex FX170 box (a fine unit, I might add). Anything else needed?

This is just more as an FYI, hoping to track down whatever might be causing this hiccup - the Ubuntu installation otherwise appears to be a fine IncrediblePBX install (albeit with several caveats of Ubuntu 14.04, including the inability to configure a static IP).

Any ideas?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I think we've found a fix that we'll be pushing out. Try these for reboot and halt. We strongly recommend turning off essential services first!!

Code:
amportal stop
service apache2 stop
/etc/init.d/mysql stop
AND THEN
/etc/init.d/reboot stop
OR
/etc/init.d/halt stop

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
fizadmin: Patch has been pushed out to all Incredible PBX for Ubuntu servers. Log out and back in to get it. Use halt to shutdown your system. Use reboot to restart it.

kwimberl

Reaction score
I can confirm that this has fixed the problem on two of my boxes. I was having to power cycle them to get them back up -- FIXED now!

fizadmin

Guru
Reaction score
Wow, that was blazingly fast. I'll test this a bit later today, but kwimberl's comment gives me hope - plus, the new auto-update system is awesome.

I love this community!

(just for technically minded, can you share what was causing the issue, initially?

Was it just amportal, apache and mysql not releasing control for the shutdown to occur?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Wow, that was blazingly fast.
My wife makes the same comment from time to time. :cowboy:

I'll test this a bit later today, but kwimberl's comment gives me hope - plus, the new auto-update system is awesome.

I love this community!

(just for technically minded, can you share what was causing the issue, initially?

Was it just amportal, apache and mysql not releasing control for the shutdown to occur?

Still don't know what the problem was. It was the only command that I could find that actually worked without hanging the server. That tells me it's more of an Ubuntu quirk than a real problem. Otherwise, it should never work. No, it wasn't Asterisk, Apache, or MySQL-related. I added those shutdowns just to protect the system since it appears that reboot and halt just abruptly kill everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.