NO JOY Trying to reset Mitel 5220

christheradioguy

Reaction score
Hi All, I recently purchased a used Mitel 5220 and am having some trouble resetting it to factory defaults. When I power up the phone I receive a message saying 'booting 04.04.00.10' where it will hang indefinitly. I also receive a 'no carrier detected' even though the Ethernet cable is plugged in and the lights on my switch indicate it has link. I've tried going into the IP settings (Press 9 while booting up) and when I enter a static IP I can successfully ping the router, so I'm assuming it's just some kind of configuration issue but can't for the life of me figure out how to factory reset this thing, any suggestions?

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
To Restore Factory Default Settings:
1. Press both Up and Down Arrow keys simultaneously while powering up the
phone. NETWORK SETTINGS? appears
2. Press NO until TOOLS & FEATURES appears and then press YES.
3. Press NO until RESTORE DEFAULTS? appears and then press YES.
4. Press CONFIRM. The phone resets with default settings.

christheradioguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply! Unfortunately, when I press both the down & up arrows while powering up I just get a message saying 'Must press key for 3 seconds' and then the phone just reboots and I get the same message again. If I press the down arrow only nothing seems to happen, if I press the up arrow I get a menu prompt: 'SET STATIC IP PARAM' and when I press * for 'NO' it just displays 'CLOSED' and nothing happens

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
I don't have a 5220 but it works on a 5330 and 5312
in step 1 above press and hold both the up and down arrow keys until the NETWORK SETTINGS? appears

christheradioguy

Reaction score
Definitely not working unfortunately, I can confirm I am holding both buttons during power up. I can also confirm that each button works independently (i.e. when I go into the IP configuration menu py presing and holding the up arrow during power up I can navigate using both up and down arrows).

Is it possible the firmware is in some weird state, preventing certain functionality?

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score

christheradioguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion tbrummell.

I'm starting to suspect that that the firmware may just be toast. It doesn't seem to pull a DHCP lease at boot & just says 'no carrier detected' even though I have link lights on the switch and on the phone. I've tried setting a static IP through the limited startup menu I can access (by pressing the down arrow at boot) & while I can ping the static IP I have configured while in the menu it never seems to save and on reboot always displays the 'no carrier detected' and is not ping-able.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.