SOLVED Trying to install Cisco 7960/40 phones

mlh414

Reaction score
I tried the OSS Endpoint manager with limited success and kept tweaking at things trying to get more than one phone limping along. Then I decided to buy the Commercial EPM in an attempt to make life easier. Well that didn't happen. Since we got them (4 units) for under $100 it seemed like a bargain until now.

So in trying to get the 7960 configured in EPM I have the all the firmware, etc files in place but now it won't register (E640 message). So someplace I have missed a step or it just doesn't work. I've done 3 factory resets on it so far and have the 8-12 version of SIP from the OSS stages of trial and error.

Anyone got a surefire way to get these darn things working short of chucking them? I'm not opposed to getting in the config files if that's what it takes.

kenn10

Reaction score
There are a few Cisco gurus around here so be patient and hopefully they'll chime in. I found the Cisco phones to be way more trouble than they were worth (even at $20 each.) I had better luck with SCCP-B than SIP on them but SCCP requires manual configuration.

mlh414

Reaction score
I'd be happy if they worked .. SCCP or SIP. Not opposed to manual configuration that actually works! Since I've ordered a new phone to try out, GXP2140, I expect better results than from these ancient beings.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
What version firmware do you have on the phones?

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the 7960 but the 7970 tries to use TCP on the new SIP firmware instead of UDP by default. Might want to either change the config to use UDP or turn on TCP on the extension settings and try that. Also these are on the local network and not remote I hope as Cisco phones don't play well with NAT.

kenn10

Reaction score
The 794x and 796x phones work on UDP by default. In telephone years, these devices are quite old.

Reaction score
The 7940 is a fairly old phone, the 7941 is much better if you can get it (and a lot easier to configure).

Saying that, all is not lost and we can probably help you out.

The quick things I would be checking is user name and password - are they perfect? (They are case sensitive, having an error here would halt registration). Then check the ports, try 5060 and if that doesn't work try 5061.

There is also a lot of help on this website: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx

The key to all 79xx series is to be patient, take your time, go through things line by line. When I was writing the resource to configure the second generation 79xx series I found the smallest typo would halt registration, they are that picky.

See how you get on with this so far and if you get stuck post back on here, we need to know exactly what you've tried and the result. It would also help if you posted your config files.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
P0S3-8-12-00 is on there now.

Also .. Extension setting using UDP.
That firmware is old, but should work. On the phone, do you see it download it's configuration file from the t*f*t*p server? If so, you might need to set NAT=YES on the phone itself, for it to successfully register.

Is the phone complaining that it can't find any files? If so, what files can't it find?

mlh414

Reaction score
Better results .. found an entry on FreePBX regarding the password. I had a short one originally, but must have deleted the extension and recreated it to 'start over' So now the phone registers and works .. as best as it can.

Thanks to all the suggestions and guidance!!!

Reaction score
Pleased it now registers. When you say it works as best as it can - although these handsets are a bit dated, they are still really capable handsets, is there anything particular you want that you're struggling with?

On my 7941 there was next to no info online when I started out on my journey, but as you can see in the resources section I have written a really comprehensive guide and with these later handsets I have been able to get BLF, conference calling using softkeys, scripting to grab google calenders, a directory service and so on. Not all of these features will work on the 7940 but many of them will, you do need to give lots of love and attention to detail when you're configuring though. As in lots, like no other IP phone. Once it's configured properly though these are some of the best IP phones even now.

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
I ran my 7960's on SIP for awhile until one day they stopped registering and never registered again.. no idea why..
I ended up compiling chan_sccp and replacing the firmware with sccp firmware.
There's a FreePBX module: SCCP Manager - http://wp.daveheavyindustries.com/2012/11/05/sccp-and-asterisk/
The guide in that link is pretty complete.

You can edit the template of the SEP<MAC>.xml file within the modules file in the freepbx web directory and add things like a servicesURL: http://filedepot.cdw.com/menu.xml
this is a freebie services menu that gives you a couple apps like weather and area code lookup.

With SCCP the phones "Feel" so much nicer within the UI, you get realtime feedback in the CLI of button presses, as well as with sccp in realtime mode when you make a change of a button in the FreePBX module, the phone immediately updates without rebooting. You also have access to adding BLF's as well as softkeys for DND, as well as shared line appearances.

I realize you just got up and running with SIP, but those old phones are made to run SCCP, and chan_sccp realtime with SCCP Manager is pretty much the way to go.

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
Heads up - don't install both linked modules at the same time - they will hose up your freepbx GUI and will need to be deleted from the modules folder in order to gain access!

rjaiswal

Reaction score
The last time I tried to use the module from Dave Heavy Industries, I has a bunch of errors in free pbx regarding duplicate feature codes.

I never really figured out why that was happening, because I only have 3 sccp phones on my home system and editing the config files was easier than resolving the duplicate feature codes. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
_NOBODY_
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.