PIONEERS The Next Horizon: sipXecs

kenn10

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen Sipxecs by Sipfoundry?

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard more about this one. It even supports Shared Call Appearance on some phones. wardmundy might have something to say about it if he has looked at it.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
the wiki seems out of date,

the latest version is 14.04

http://download.sipfoundry.org/pub/sipXecs/ISO/
the wget command for installing on top of minimal centos is

Code:
wget -P /etc/yum.repos.d http://download.sipfoundry.org/pub/sipXecs/14.04/sipxecs-14.04.0-centos.repo

I'm currently installing 14.04 as I cant get the unstable 14.10 to install via binaries

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
For those that want to play, we've uploaded a Virtual Box image of sipXecs-14.04 to SourceForge which is available now.

B2P1m9TIEAELG_G.jpg:large

Getting Started
  • Download and then double-click on the sipXecs.ova file after installing VirtualBox on your desktop computer.
  • Start the virtual machine.
  • Update your SSH credentials if you ever decide to put this in production:
Code:
rm -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host*
rpm -e openssh-server
yum -y install openssh-server
service sshd restart

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
is this running well for everyone else, my test beds keep crashing the web interface after a few hours.

kenn10

Reaction score
I have it running in a VMWare environment but haven't done much with it. Its been running for about a week and I haven't lost web access yet. I haven't been pounding at it, rather just pondering whether I want to waste time on it or not. It is heavy on the Cisco and Polycom phone support and I have Aastra sets which it won't auto-provision. I hope to have more time to play with it in the coming weeks.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
We use it where I work, although our developers have heavily modified it for our purposes. It runs well, including our HA set up, but ours doesn't have a lot of toys included in it, it's just built for high uptime.

billsimon

Reaction score
is this running well for everyone else, my test beds keep crashing the web interface after a few hours.

Last time I looked at this software, which was probably about two years ago, I found that it needed a lot of computing resources just to sit idle. You're probably running out of memory and the OS is killing off your web server processes.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
new instructions available on the wiki, going to try again, seeing as 14.10 is out

Code:
3. Increase Max Number of ulimit open files and max user processes for MongoDB

edit /etc/sysctl.conf to add fs.file-max = 65536 line
edit /etc/security/limits.conf to add the following block of text:
*          soft    nproc          65535
*          hard    nproc          65535
*          soft    nofile        65535
*          hard    nofile        65535
c. reboot

SkykingOH

Guru
Reaction score
You know Nortel runs this project? Seems like anything but FreePBX. I will keep beating the drum. If anyone is at IT Expo in Miami I will be in the FreePBX both, come say hi.

kenn10

Reaction score
More appropriate to the state of our declining U.S. Democratic Constitutional Republic than to FreePBX. Consider the Democrats that patient man.

Sorry Ward, but you opened that door. FreePBX could be considered an "entitlement" and the contributors to the project are "Tax Payers." The State of the economy is forcing reduction of support for the "entitlement" from corporate sponsors. The majority of FreePBX users contribute nothing monetarily, in coding, or in feedback. So they become the "entitled" and expect more and more and more and more for free.

I honestly think that FreePBX will either need to be forked to retain the original values to the community or alternative GUI's will need to be developed. So far, the original elegance of FreePBX has not been surpassed. I hope an evolution in Asterisk and/or FreeSwitch GUI's is on the cusp.

SkykingOH

Guru
Reaction score
Of course I knew about Avaya...I didn't know they exited the project 5 years ago...ouch

I guess I don't understand. The rate of development on FreePBX and Asterisk has never been higher. Userbase increasing. More funding from Sangoma. Why does it need to be forked? How could that possibly be good for the project or PBXIAF?

vic555

Reaction score
Fonality discontinued support; We need to move on, and find creditable open sources.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Of course I knew about Avaya...I didn't know they exited the project 5 years ago...ouch

I guess I don't understand. The rate of development on FreePBX and Asterisk has never been higher. Userbase increasing. More funding from Sangoma. Why does it need to be forked? How could that possibly be good for the project or PBXIAF?

Did you actually read the Nerd Vittles article?? Did you think I was making this :001 9898: up?

billsimon

Reaction score

I just came here to call out your Nortel remark. ;-)

I personally think it's a bad idea to fork it. To be clear, I'm not calling for that and would consider it a last resort option, only to be used if Sangoma started to go in a very different direction with the whole project. I disagree with a lot of the forum members here who assume bad things will come simply because the project has changed corporate ownership.

PS: sipXecs is really a dog and I hope folks don't waste too much more time with it. There is a reason no one talks about it...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
There are plenty of terrific Asterisk-based commercial solutions available. We've already identified at least five! When you pull back the covers, that's exactly where the FreePBX Distro fits. It's not open source. It's not GPL. Scott trumpets its awesomeness, but that's because Scott makes a living selling it... as a commercial PBX. It turns out that the way other vendors have been treated, FreePBX (the GUI) wasn't much different... without litigation. Can Sangoma fix that? Sure they can IF they want to. But they've been extremely quiet since Jan. 1. That tells me they'd prefer to let this blow over and stick with business as usual. One has to wonder whether Sangoma did its due diligence homework. They certainly didn't speak with us. And remember, the same guys still are in the driver's seat doing things much the same way as best we can tell. The financial incentive package that's part of the Sangoma deal suggests that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Let me suggest that we take a deep breath and patiently explore what else is available. Then let's objectively weigh the pro's and con's of the alternatives. We also haven't (yet) heard from Digium, and that may include some surprises as well. Will we find the perfect open source, (true) GPL GUI product? Who knows. We sure don't have one with FreePBX unless you want to hire a bunch of lawyers.

I can tell you that the number of available options is staggering, and some of the products are truly amazing. Many of those we've spoken with are interested! Whether we can reach a deal that everyone is comfortable with remains to be seen, but I am optimistic. I also think this process is long overdue given the manner in which some folks have been treated.

SkykingOH

Guru
Reaction score
I need to be a little more careful about helicoptering into these discussions. It's still fun to stir the pot:

1 - Ward read your blog up to the history lesson in IT M and A - Gotta a little long after that. I didn't find any gross historical inaccuracies and it's interesting to see the take from another perspective. The contractual stuff between Schmooze and PBXiaf I have no knowledge of. I am under NDA with Schmooze which transfers to Sangoma in Spirit so I have to steer clear of those conversations anyway.

What I can clear up is I don't "make my living selling FreePBX" myself nor Micro Advantage has ever sold or charged for FreePBX. We are very clear that the software is Open Source in our T&C's and we provide support and deployment expertise. With our hosted services we provide a virtual machine running a variety of Open Source packages that we supply for our customers convenience at no cost. There is no price difference between a hosted FreePBX Distro or a bare bones KVM that you upload your own ISO.

I am sure it doesn't carry any weight however I will say it publicly. I have never known Schmooze or Tony personally to not honor their obligations. I am very picky about who my friends and business associates are. In the 7 or 8 eight years I have been dealing with Tony and Schmooze they have never owed me a dime and have always been more than fair when our account balance got farther out than it should.

So from a business standpoint Schmooze and FreePBX have been good partners for me. The Open Source is very important also as we help our local churches and non-profits setup great communications and IT infrastructure they could never afford if not for Open Source. It's part of our Corporate DNA to give back. It's great to talk about opinions but please don't ascribe motives.

Carry on.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.