SOLVED Strip digits past 10

Irnadd

Reaction score
At one point my free-pbx used to behave in a way that if i am dialing a number no matter how many digits i pressed accidentally it would still only dial the first 10 digits and call worked fine. Now when i dial a number if i press XXX-XXX-XXXXXXX then it gives me the message your call cannot be dialed at this time. How can i set my outbound settings to strip the 11th digit if its pressed.

I have people who press 11 digits or 12 on a number and the system wont dial it obviously. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Irnadd

Reaction score
I agree with you there but some times certain companies have the 800-Call-MYNUMBER which is definitely longer then 10 digits and they call it not knowing they dialed more then 10 and say the number does not work. This is another scenario. I thought it was fairly easy to make work anyway.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
Using that 800-Call-MyNumber as an example - If you have people in your employ that don't know to stop after 7 digits (or can't figure that out) -- do you REALLY want them working for you?

But I imagine if you made an outbound dial rule like NXXNXXXXXXX.
Count the Xs there is 1 too many for a NANPA dial string and note the period. Put this at the Very top of the Outbound Routes list - so when they press 11 or more digits this kicks in and just don't assign any trunks and they'll get the 'All Circuits are Busy message, which should be an indicator to them to check their dialing and try again.

By the way 800-CALL-MYNUMBER translates to (with dashes for formatting) 800-225-5696-86237 (Just looking they should see it invalid and NOT dial the last 5 digits

Just sayin'

PS You may want a second rule as many STILL dial 800# with the 1 prefix so 2nd line should be like: 1NXXNXXXXXXX. to catch the 1 prefix.

PPS Make the 2nd Line first as if like the routes do, the Dal Patters are processed in order the 1 prefix will trigger the invalid route as the 11th digit even on Valid Numbers. So be carefule and Test Test Test

Irnadd

Reaction score
This is all great information but the point is to get the system to dial the first 10 digits no matter how many digits are dialed. And NOT to get the message "the number you have entered cannot be dialed"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aegodoyr
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.