QUESTION Strange email problem with voicemail

rchalk

Reaction score
I have two servers set up as main and backup for a client. The voicemail-to-email works perfectly with the first one, but not the second. I created the second server from a backup of the first, and all other functionality is working fine. Here is the issue:

Sending emails from the second server does not work with the same recipient domain and addresses. If I change the outgoing email address to an alternate, say gMail, it works fine.

If I go to the WebMin email settings, I get the same result, which is that changing the "sent from" address works, but using the default does not. However, as with Asterisk, sending test messages to a different email address works fine.

The only difference between the two sent-from addresses is that one is [email protected] and the other is [email protected]

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening? The recipient's email provider is saying that the emails are not hitting their servers when sent from the alternate server, so it would appear that they are never sent.

Failing this, can anyone tell me how to change the "sent from" address in the sendmail server, to replicate the main, and see if that fixes the problem?

Thanks,

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
The emails are probably be rejected by the receiving email server. Check your email logs in /var/log/maillog and you will probably see the rejected email messages.

If you don't want to set up a FQDN that resolves to the public IP for the server you can set up a gmail relay server.
http://mhawthorne.net/posts/postfix-configuring-gmail-as-relay.html

Note that you have to enable "Access for less secure apps" on the gmail account if you do this.
https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

Last edited:
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.