Code:
reboot
or
Code:
shutdown -r
the script in
Code:
/usr/local/sbin/status
causes the command to hang because the "dialog" message box is running.
It seems like this is connected to console-setup but I'm not sure yet how. I do know that
Code:
service console-setup status
calls
Code:
/usr/local/sbin/status

Because of this problem, I cannot reboot my machine without forcing it. I'm also not sure why the status command (local/sbin) has to run when the console-setup command (or upstart service) is called. It seems to me like this an unlucky choice to make the console show something on startup?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Looks like there are multiple status apps. We'll take a look. Try renaming /usr/local/sbin/status to i-status and see if that resolves the problem. You'll also have to rename it in /root/.profile.

halt and reboot have been reworked (long ago) to resolve this issue. Use them exclusively, and you won't have a problem.

Philipp

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Ah, I see now, I just couldn't figure out why it calls said status binary.

I ran some other install (apt-get install-)scripts (updated samba and other things because a memory leak) and every time they tried to restart services or query the status of some services it would hang (dialog running in the background, waiting for a enter keypress) and then fail because of that.

Now I'm thinking it could actually be some faulty upstart scripts causing it: "service samba status" says "* nmbd is running, * smbd is running", but "service console-setup status" calls the status binary. So I suppose service console-setup rm -rf / would kill my box..
Do I understand correctly that pbxiaf changes the reboot binaries?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We don't change the binaries. We just put our halt and reboot scripts in a directory (/usr/local/sbin) that gets searched before the directory with the binaries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.