FYI South Carolina Flood Update

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
First, thanks to all of you who have written to inquire how we're doing. I thought I'd post an update since we're perched at Ground Zero. The Charleston area where we live has gotten about a foot of rain over the past few days. Some have gotten much more. If you didn't know, Charleston (the city proper) is a tiny peninsula at sea level that's much like downtown New Orleans. The slightest rain or high tide causes some flooding. With a foot of rain and record 7' high tides, Charleston is completely shut down. Our daughter's school downtown has been closed since Thursday. Many are taking it in stride...

CQivpwuXAAA8QrB.jpg

We're actually on the other side of Charleston harbor looking south toward the city (see below). It's about a five minute drive across the bridge to downtown when downtown is open. While our little piece of paradise is only inches above high tide, that's fairly common for those of us living near the harbor. The good news is our house and property are situated on top of lots of sand so rain drains off very quickly. Even with a foot of rain, we really never saw a puddle in the yard. Others, of course, have not been so lucky. Streets and yards and homes nearby and as far away as Columbia (100 miles west) are really flooded. Some of my wife's family left their home in a boat! What's really unfortunate is that many of the families in Columbia probably don't carry flood insurance. Why would you? It's 100 miles away from the coast. Unfortunately, Columbia has three rivers, all of which have overflowed. And, to make matters worse, some of the dams have given way. So... we're the lucky ones. Pray for our friends who haven't been as fortunate.

CQiodTxW8AAQv0O.jpg

The good news is the servers supporting Nerd Vittles, PBX in a Flash, and Incredible PBX are in Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, and even Canada so Nerd Life remains good. And our electricity and Internet connection continue to hum along... so far. :aureola:

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for the problems you describe, and sympathies to those affected.
Clearly its not funny, though I couldn't help wondering -was all of this caused by a cloud based solution? :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.