SUGGESTIONS Soft Phones for Android

thx1138

Reaction score
Been waiting for Ward to blog about voip on android like he did for iphone, Do y'all know of any good walk throughs for voip on android and pbxiaf?

Reaction score
Having just gotten a Sprint / Samsung Epic 4g I have been playing around with different SIP clients. Unfortunately they don't all work with every Android phone or version. The only one I found that handled outgoing audio properly was the "Fring" client but perhaps that is a quirk in the Epic audio driver. Programs like Sipdroid are being updated constanly. You have the same issues as in most remote connections regarding security...

Its kind of cool to carry around an extension of your PBX!

HavocStyles

Reaction score
Second vote for sipdroid

I second Sipdroid. I have a Evo 4g and Sipdroid works great! With video as well...:D

Cheers,
HS

PhilMitchell

Reaction score
I've tried a number of SIP clients on my HTC Legend, including 3CX and SIPDroid. I've landed on CSipSimple as my client of choice for the time being. It works well and is in active development. I get the latest versions from the dev site hosted on code.google.com rather than from the market.

Cheers

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just loaded NetDial from the Market. Awesome SIP client... and it's free. :D

nb1301

Reaction score
I'm running CM6 on my EVO. I was unable to get sipdroid to work. Even after trying different versions. I've used 3CX and it works perfectly.

Socs28

Reaction score
Linphone

I've been using Linphone on my Evo for some time and it works well.

zipeee

Reaction score
I had trouble with it on the vibrant...latest version didn't have sound go through microphone (other party couldn't hear)...but then I am running a custom rom of Froyo, so who knows.

lifespeed

Reaction score
I have had exceedingly poor results with SIPdroid. Don't know if they have improved at all. CSIPsimple worked pretty well for me. I am now using Bria for Android. It is in the early stages of development and still has some bugs to be worked out, but is useable. Having used their iPhone SIP client, and watching it's development over the past few months, I have been impressed with the features and reliability.

Counterpath states their goal is to implement the same features and UI for Android that is present in the iPhone version. If they can do that, it will be a winner.

robf

Reaction score
That sounds good. Question: Can that be deployed without opening ports? I would love an android client I could load that could be remote without opening any ports!

kh40s

Guru
Reaction score
I have had exceedingly poor results with SIPdroid. Don't know if they have improved at all. C

Interesting. I have just switched to SIPDroid, and I'm really happy with it. Definitely better than 3CX

lifespeed

Reaction score
That sounds good. Question: Can that be deployed without opening ports? I would love an android client I could load that could be remote without opening any ports!

I do not yet have PIAF set up, so can't speak to that installation. However, with a PBX that does properly handle NAT, like Callcentric and VoIPo.com, I can use both Android and iPhone without opening ports in my router, or at my work network. I don't use STUN either. At home I have configured (bidirectional) QOS to ensure good performance during other network activity.

Hopefully I'll find PIAF properly handles NAT without STUN, regardless of the client registering over the LAN or from the internet.

lifespeed

Reaction score
Bria

The best so far is Bria. It is in active development, and is claimed to eventually end up looking like the iPhone client which is excellent. Very reliable. $8.

Second place goes to CSIPsimple. Has a few bugs, but is useable. Free.

Last place, IMHO, is SIPdroid. Never could get it to work reliably and I always got the impression it's primary purpose in life was to funnel business to the authors hosted PBX. Free.

mikerice60

Reaction score
I second this request- I have gotten a an Android EVO4g to work as an extension, but the call quality is very poor over 3g.

I think call quality can be improved, but I am hit and miss trying to get it better.

I am also getting the Android extension running Bria to reconnect all the time like so:
[2011-02-02 19:29:40] NOTICE[753] chan_sip.c: Peer '501' is now Reachable. (325ms / 2000ms)
[2011-02-02 19:34:47] NOTICE[753] chan_sip.c: Peer '501' is now UNREACHABLE! Last qualify: 544
[2011-02-02 20:04:31] NOTICE[753] chan_sip.c: Peer '501' is now Reachable. (262ms / 2000ms)
[2011-02-02 20:09:37] NOTICE[753] chan_sip.c: Peer '501' is now UNREACHABLE! Last qualify: 495
[2011-02-02 20:39:46] NOTICE[753] chan_sip.c: Peer '501' is now Reachable. (423ms / 2000ms)

Any ideas on the best method too fix this? Thanks in advance.

lifespeed

Reaction score
I would suggest verifying functionality on wifi. If it works well on wifi, and poorly on 3G, well, that is just the nature of 3G. My experience so far is it is poorly suited for carrying real-time data like voip. It works if you have 4 bars, but any less and the quality suffers.

Edit: even on wifi, I see occasional connects and reconnects from Bria for Android. Don't forget, Bria is still in development and there are still some bugs, despite it being largely functional.

mikerice60

Reaction score
Thank for the suggestions. I did try the wifi connection and it is better. I also added SIPDroid and it seems to make a clearer call, but the real test is always driving with road noise away from my wifi connection. I will test tomorrow some more.

lifespeed

Reaction score
Neither Asterisk or a SIP client can overcome a 3G connection dropping or delaying packets.

I only use VoIP over 3G when I have a really good signal and I am not moving. Unfortunately, with current cellular technology, VoIP is not that useable. My Android phone uses VoIP mostly as a wifi SIP phone.

mikerice60

Reaction score
I appreciate the insight. I was hoping to see Bria or SIPDroid make a reliable connection over VOIP instead of cell minutes. Looks like I am pushing the envelope. I have a Sprint 4G and I'm in a 4G city, although I don't have 4G reception at the house. Have you tried 4g while driving?

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.