TIPS Skype on a raspberry pi

pbxn00b

Reaction score
So... First post here, hoping to get an answer to this, kind of at a loss now that GV is gone.

I have a raspberry pi model b, and would like to install some sort of PIAF based solution for my problem. For the past few years each summer, I have worked in the IT department at a place with no cell service whatsoever. I am going to be working there again. Previously, I used the talkatone iPhone app with google voice to make and receive calls. About 6 months ago, I discovered the awesomeness of PIAF. This summer, I would like to use my pi and get myself a premium skype account (with the ability to call phone numbers), in addition to a sip client for my iPhone in order to make and receive calls. Does anyone have any suggestions to accomplish this? I can't seem to find out how to use skype to make outbound calls on a pi. I know that theoretically, I can do this with the skype app. But, I am probably going to also get a physical sip capable phone, so PIAF would be optimal. I know there are builds of PIAF that can use skype for out/inbound, and builds of PIAF for the pi, but I can't seem to find one that fits both those criteria. I would really appreciate any help/recommendations anyone can provide.

Reaction score
I think the only way you can do it is pay for the SIP gateway with Skype. AFAIK there are two reasons why Skype and PIAF are not available - the first is processing power (SIP only has to deal with headers, not process audio which can take its toll on the Pi's processor), and the second is Microsoft have chosen to close off new access to Skypekit which is the developer's route in and hence the route in for Linux and Pi users.

pbxn00b

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm still kinda new to this, but if I understand correctly, this isn't even possible with a more powerful machine, say, a virtual machine in virtualbox due to MS restrictions?

Also, i assume there was another way to have the pi act as a PIAF box using GV, as nerd vittles has posted about how to do it on his blog?

Reaction score
arztde I'm not sure the bananapi suggestion would help - it is ARM based so will be a Linux derivative, it has more processing power but far less community support, and because it's Linux you're back to square one as there's no way in to Skypekit so even if you have the processing power you're stumped unless you're Windows.

pbxn00b yes you're right, you could be using a virtual machine but unless the environment is Windows you're stuck. That rules out PIAF platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.