R.I.P. Skype following Google to block apps

Reaction score
If you've recently fired up Skype you may have noticed a dialog box with a warning appear briefly (at least on OS X) then vanish. If you're fast enough to catch it you'll find that it's warning you that some application you're using that works with Skype will stop working in December, 2013. This applies to all sorts of software supporting headsets, cameras, ... you name it.

Reaction score
On a more serious note, I don't see how anyone who values the security of their communications would use Skype (especially for anything sensitive), considering that it
1. Uses P2P technology for call routing (so who knows who all has access to your data stream)
2. It has been revealed that MS has the ability to record all communications PRE-Encryption stage (so much for end to end security...)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Interesting to see (yet another) example of the copycat oligopoly at work. Remember when Google went into the Directory Assistance business (GOOG411). Microsoft had a competing product within days. Then Google dumped GOOG411, and Microsoft was right behind them. Then there's Google Voice which was free and allowed interconnection with all sorts of endpoints. Microsoft encouraged a similar approach with Skype. Now Google dumps interoperability support. Lo and behold, Microsoft follows suit within days. Gotta love American competition. NOT!

Reaction score
The most annoying thing to me about Skype is that it WAS a really good program...until MS bought it.
Since then it's been plagued with server problems, security holes, and like you said, the MS "competition" issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diazgza
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.