TIPS sip App registration

Flash9999

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've been trying to register to my piaf server from outside my lan using an iphone sip app and I have not been able to. I've read here somewhere in the past the piaf is locked down so in essence how can i accomplish this without using the port knock app or any of that. I just want to open the port for my phone to register is thats pretty much it; this wont be used as often and there will be only one user (me). Can someone point me in the right direction

Thanks
SemperFi

rjaiswal

Reaction score
It's possible, but HIGHLY not recommended. It's easier with a static IP address. But doable with a dynamic address and a ddns service.

With that said, all you need to do is port forward udp port 5060 and udp ports 10000-20000 to the pbx. Make sure you have a REALLY strong password.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Two methods:

1. Run OpenVPN (or possibly Neorouter - but I don't know about android/iphone clients on the phone) and you can log in via VPN and connect via the private IP address.

2. Run a dynamic dns client on the phone and travelin man/ipchecker on the server. The problem/issue here is the delay between changing/registering the phone's IP and getting it picked up by the PBX.

I wouldn't open a port and forward - too many hackers with bots and too much time; it's conceivable that fail2ban won't even be able to pickup/stop the attacks or that someone will eventually get in (room full of infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters eventually gets you Shakespeare).

Andrew

Flash9999

Reaction score
I've forwarded all indicated ports yet I still get "server untraceable" can anyone suggest something else. I thought I was a pretty straight forward process

wardmundy is it possible that I can just open the ports on my router and have them forwardedto my piaf box? or piaf does not allow outside sip registrations by default? for the moment i just want to test a sip app on my iphone from the wan side.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
Are you trying to connect from an outside wifi network or a cellular network?

Some network providers block ping, sip, and other services using their standard ports. You might have to use non standard sip ports to get it working.

I would also check the fail2ban logs and see if the IP address you are connecting from is banned.

jmullinix

Guru
Reaction score
You should be able to port forward UDP 5060 and UDP 10000-20000 to your phone server and access it with a remote phone. There are serious security issues when you do this. If you do this, make sure you have strong passwords on all of your SIP extensions and trunks. The SIP hacking bots can hit your machine hundreds or thousands of time per second trying to guess your password.

If this is not working, make sure your outside IP address is correct in Sip Settings and make sure the extension setup page in FreePBX has NAT = yes.

If you are using your phone carrier's bandwidth instead of WIFI to connect, that may be problematic. Some data carriers, like Verizon, muck around with SIP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.