BUG Sendmail on Ubuntu

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
There is a bug/typo in Sendmail on Ubuntu on the Cubox and the VB image. I ran across it when I has trying to setup relaying with gmail. Some info on it is here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/sendmail/ bug/226978

They are saying it was fixed in version 8 but it is back. So follow Ward's instuctions here:

http://pbxinaflash.com/community/in...ll-gmail-as-smtp-relay-host-for-sendmail.974/

Don't run make. Instead, run this command:

grep -R sendmail-cf /etc/mail and fix the places it shows up. It should be sendmail/cf.

Then run sendmailconfig and take the defaults. It worked for me!

Charles Lewis

Reaction score
Bob,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm running PIAF on a Cubox for my nonprofit organization, but have been having trouble setting up the smtp relay to het around Comcast. I have used Elastix before, but am new to PIAF (it's great).

Can you break down your fix a little more for a newbie? Where do I put your command line in the list of commands suggested by Ward? Do I leave out the line "make" near the end and replace it with the line starting with grep? What should be"sendmail"?

Sorry for all the questions, but I definitely appreciate your help!

Charles

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
Bob,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm running PIAF on a Cubox for my nonprofit organization, but have been having trouble setting up the smtp relay to het around Comcast. I have used Elastix before, but am new to PIAF (it's great).

Can you break down your fix a little more for a newbie? Where do I put your command line in the list of commands suggested by Ward? Do I leave out the line "make" near the end and replace it with the line starting with grep? What should be"sendmail"?

Sorry for all the questions, but I definitely appreciate your help!

Charles

The grep command shows you all the places you need to change sendmail-cf to sendmail/cf. Fix that and run sendmailconfig instead of make.

Charles Lewis

Reaction score
I'll give it a try after backing up my system in case I mess up. Thanks for your help!

jeremy finney

Reaction score
i was/am having this problem on ubuntu 14.04... when following wards gmail/smtp instructions, i don't get a working sendmail config. (errors one the 'make' step)

i looked at the
grep -R sendmail-cf /etc/mail and fix the places it shows up. It should be sendmail/cf.
approach but i don't think it is an authoritative solution as many of the sendmail configuration routines reference both the: /etc/mail/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 and the sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4, as if both paths are supported.

i do note that after running 'sendmailconfig' i have a working smtp config (despite some errors referring to the lack of `/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4'

for future readers, i wonder if making a sylink before the make command would resolve the issue? ln -s ./usr/share/sendmail/cf ./usr/share/sendmail-cf

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
jeremy finney: This thread is a year old. PLEASE open new threads when you spot issues with new builds. In the meantime...

Please post your results from status with IP ports sanitized.

kenn10

Reaction score
Ward, same issue here with sendmail. I have it shut down at the moment to stop the flow of errors.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled sendmail. Done and apt-get purge Postfix. Tried every trick I could google up and can't get it working.

upload_2015-11-17_9-45-51.png

Dr. Kupka

Reaction score
Did you try this ? Worked for me at least on Debian/raspbian-wheezy.

Last edited:

kenn10

Reaction score
Did you try this ? Worked for me at least on Debian/raspbian-wheezy.

Yes. I end up in a series of "You must install sendmail-cf" when you do the "make" but when you install it, it says its already installed. Like I said, I'm walking away from that for awhile. I'll revisit with a clearer mind later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.