NEWS FLASH Vitelity's vMobile: FMC Cellphone Service

kaytemp

Reaction score
Vitelity has a new service called Vitelity vMobile

Vitelity's product page: http://www.vitelity.com/vmobile/
Video demonstration: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUk72EjDTyA
Another video tidbit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KjjawsCg

So I guess Vitelity may be a VMNO for Sprint but with integration with wifi and your PBX. It looks like:
  • You must use a Vitelity provided cellphone
  • Appears to use Sprint Network
  • Cellphone is a true extension on your pbx, even with calls coming and going over the cell network
  • Vitelity's product page says, "Over 99 phone numbers that can be assigned for different customers, target groups, and personal contacts" so hopefully this means you can place and receive calls over the cellular network using multiple numbers.
  • Bottom of product page says $9.95/month per cellphone + $0.02/min cell network usage + $0 for wifi usage.

Anybody have more info on this? I wonder if there are any other cell network fees? The bummer appears to be that you have to buy their phone but if only cell costs are 2 cents/min, it could work out well. Although itcould be a no go for me simply because of sprint's coverage in my area.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Yes - very impressive. The handoff is especially cool. I still think its the same product that 2600hz is advertising, but if Vitelity puts it out with good wholesale pricing, I'll use it :).

sigmaz

Reaction score
I pre-registered to get involved with the product a while back just before the announcement.
Fast forward 5 months and I received an email announcing they are ready to ship refurbished Samsung S3's loaded with their firmware.

I inquired if they were open to a BYOD and she replied that I could ship them my devices to be flashed but they had to be SPRINT Samsung S3's.
Currently they have a batch of phones ready to go on a first come first serve basis.
Available colors are white or blue and are shipping out for $179 each.

I also inquired about obtaining the suite for evaluation on other devices... she snickered.

kaytemp

Reaction score
Ward, when you do your review, I would definitely be curious to know if rooting the phone (but leaving it all stock/as is) causes any issues. I have a few apps that require root that I would want on the phone.

Max Power

Reaction score
I bet we will never see this in Canada. I sure hope Rogers does!

phinphan

Reaction score
So I received my vmobile phone today from Vitelity and it appears that the extended functionality of making it a part of your PBX has not been perfected/implemented yet. It is a nice phone with the ability to move from the cellular network to wifi seamlessly. That is nothing new as Tmobile did that years ago with their UMA phones. I look forward to their releasing updated software to support sip integration. As part of the setup they have you delete the sip credentials which were previously on the phone so I gather it was not working to their liking.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Drats, I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come as I was so truly looking forward to making my old Startac an extension on my BBB PBXIAF.

Maybe my dream has been relegated to the ashbin of SIPistory :(

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Yep. Mine is rooted as well. One quirk seems to be calling an AT&T any phone via WiFi. Weird CID appears. Also got a bail bondsman's old number. Can't wait to send some calls to Lenny.

Jake

Reaction score
I'm very excited about this! I've wanted a solution like this for many years. The whole VOIP over 3g and now 4g doesn't work.

Has anyone been invited to 2600hz testing?

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
I seem to be the one that always bring this up but I wonder how they are dealing with the patents that Counterpath and Bandwidth.com have on cellular to wifi handoffs.

phinphan

Reaction score
Ward - are you working on integrating a vmobile device into the pbx? I see they released their portal today and I am playing around with it.

phinphan

Reaction score
So I have successfully registered it with Vitelity, changed the phone number to an appropriate area code, send and receive sms and dial in and dial out through the pbx. I cannot figure out how to do 3 digit internal dialing so I can call internal extensions yet and I haven't tried transferring etc. So far so good and that is with only 20 minutes of playing.

Edit - NVM - I figured it out. Wifi was off. 3 digit dialing works fine when connected via wifi but not via a cell call.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
phinphan: Actually, it will work either way if you dial slightly differently. Sprint is blocking the call to the 3-digit or 4-digit extension. But, if you create an outbound route for 7777777XXX, those calls will be passed to your Asterisk server where you can strip off the 7777777 and then process the XXX call to the extension. With vMobile registered as an extension on your Asterisk server ALL CALLS GET ROUTED TO YOUR SERVER FIRST as long as the call passes Sprint's dialing rule restrictions. So you could dial 7777777-701 in Sprint-mode to reach 701 on an Asterisk server with the proper outbound route to process the call.

There's also a wrinkle we've seen with Asterisk sitting behind a NAT-based hardware firewall, but Vitelity is working on that one. Connecting the vMobile device up as an extension on a cloud-based server works flawlessly except for the extension quirk when in Sprint-mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.