ALERT RedHat/CentOS/SL/PIAF OS

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
ah but which one.....? perhaps a kidney you should have two... or a portion of the liver? They grow back quick....

Seriously we should have several new options in place very very shortly that should alleviate things at least from a future proof perspective. I suspect as always we will dance to our own drummer instead of following all the other lemmings.... but in the interim just sing "I could while away the hours........."

:beatdeadhorse5:

I have really begun to like this graphic for some reason.....

Tom

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
Not a lawyer, but I don't get it.

In a nutshell, the new RedHat Terms of Service outlaw use of CentOS in any productunless the combined distribution is an official CentOS distribution.”
Where the full quote is:

Use of the CentOS Marks to identify software that combines any portion of the CentOS software with any other software , unless the combined distribution is an official CentOS distribution. For example, you may not distribute a combination of the CentOS software with software released by the FooStack project under the name “CentOS FooStack Distro”.

What am I missing? That's not the same thing as outlawing use of CentOS in any product unless .... That's saying you now have to be careful when writing "CentOS" somewhere...
It could not be called "CentOS PIAF" or "CentOS FreePBX distro" but it's not even called that right now?

What did I miss?

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Once the lawyers get into things it tends to be game over.... (sorry wardo)

Beyond that changes are coming which will circumvent most of the nonsense.

Tom

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I, too, have a lesser used organ but I'm not sure it could stand up to this filing fee.

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
Once the lawyers get into things it tends to be game over.... (sorry wardo)

Beyond that changes are coming which will circumvent most of the nonsense.

Tom

Yeah I get it now. It's not just how you name you modified distro, it's that it can't install with a CentOS splash page, can't mention CentOS when it boots, can't contain the centos-release package, etc.
And because of that, can't and shouldn't pull packages directly from the official CentOS repos... The distro maintainer has to mirror the repos, purge the centos specific stuff, modify the installer... etc.
It's not CentOS, can't claim it is, can't display that it is.

That can be a lot of work, indeed.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
indeed which is why a "different" approach was needed....

Tom
:dita:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Gotta love a guy that always tells it like it is...

Well, almost always...

BehZpJnCQAEiVE-.jpg:large

gpuser

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, why not go all the way to debian/ubuntu? Doesn't RasPi version already run on debian?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BKhumalo
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.