QUESTION Recommended sip corded phones?

JimLS

Reaction score
Currently have two POTS lines (actually one is from Vonage box) and two line corded phones are getting old and flakey. Hardly seems right to go with POTS phones when SIP phones are about the same cost. Eventually want to convert over to VOIP but will probably have the existing setup for another year or so. Whatever I do needs to be simple to use for good SAF! Have an Obi110 and Beaglebone black set up with piaf. Thinking the easiest short term may be another Obi110 for the vonage line. And that gives me a path forward when I go full VOIP. This is a home/very small business setup. Most of the nerd vittles recommendations for phones were pretty old. What's a good economical but reliable SIP corded 2 line phone?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I'm partial to Mitel phones myself. Their SIP firmware isn't terrible, and you can't beat the speakerphones. If you're looking for one, make sure it says "Dual Mode" - meaning MiNet and SIP.

JimLS

Reaction score
Any particular models? I did a quick look and the ones I found are higher than I was planning to spend although for what I want I might need to spend that - that's what I am trying to figure out.... I was looking at Grandstream GXP1405. The main complaint I see is lack of backlight and hard to read display because of that. They have the GXP2130 with color display. Something in that range I am thinking would work for me.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I have lots of 5224s - can be found on eBay for easily less than $75. I personally haven't used any Grandstream phones. It really depends on what you want out of the phone.

If you don't need anything fancy, and don't mind slightly lower build quality, go for a Grandstream.
Still a budget option, but better build quality and more features, go Yealink.
Need lots of buttons and a great speakerphone, no color screen? Go Mitel.
At this point, we're getting up in cost. I could list Snom, Polycom, and Aastra, but those may be out of your budget.
If you want a color screen, you'll be paying for one. Color screens vary widely though. You have anything from the GXP2130 at around $100 up to the Yealink T-48g with a huge color touchscreen at $225 or the T-46g color non-touch at $170.

Will Longo

Reaction score
I had a grandstream video phone gxv3140 i think, had it forever and got it very cheap. It's always been great. I've since swapped most of my phones to cisco phones, but the grandstream has a special place in my heart.

Reaction score
What about Nerd Vittles "Phone of the Year?" That's the one I chose based upon Ward's recommendation. It's a stellar phone, if a bit quirky to provision manually (you can search the forums for help and to get all kinds of add-ons). Finally, you may get help easier because it's a phone many on this forum are personally familiar with.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Snom 710's are good. I have 70 of them being used in an office. no issues. Not many buttons but they're durable and not too $$

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I've got a few 5224s available for cheap - I upgraded to Yealink T46Gs due to the lack of a few features I wanted (and the availability of VPN built into the Yealink).

Let me know if you need/want a few.

Andrew

mattseymour

Reaction score
My limited experience is that Grandstream phones are simple and basic and easy to get going. Snom tend to be more capable but can be slightly harder to set up. Steer well clear of anything that isn't primarily a sip phone, so some of the cisco phones can work with sip firmware... don't bother, it isn't worth the fight.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.