real world feedback on pfsense etc appreciated

pblythswood

Reaction score
Hi all,

Appreciate if anyone could pass on any experience with running any of the Linux based firewalls, like pfsense, ipfire, ipcop etc etc, or any other recommendations, as our configuration requires the firewall to be server based.

Any feedback appreciated.

Regards
Paul

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
I switched to pfSense on an embedded device (thin client with 1 Gig D.o.M.) and haven't been happier. Very easy to use, very powerful. Had problems with PIAF and one of my providers in the beginning, but after about a week of tweaking/Googling I finally found a formula that took care of it. Point n click IPSec VPN and OpenVPN is a breeze, it includes the Windows OVPN client and all on a downloadable package. Very slick.

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
pfsense is very powerful and works great with piaf. I use with piaf and phones inside behind the firewall and remote phones from outside the firewall... Phones have built in OpenVPN so connection is seamless without opening ports. Phones's openVPN connects to pfsense's OpenVPN server and then phones connect seamlessly to piaf. I use OpenVPN for phones and also PPTP VPN for remote login with Microsoft Remote desktop. These are built in to pfsense. This gave me a headache and took me a while to figure out... Piaf comes with extension setup in Freepbx set to permit extensions to only register from the local subnet. If you use OpenVPN to register phones from outside you will also need to permit the OpenVPN subnet. You can permit multiple subnets by placing an & between, such as 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0&192.168.3.1/255.255.255.0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.