TIPS Raspberry Pi vs. BeagleBone Black

dsc3507

Reaction score
First some background -

I am not a PIAF user but I am running an application that uses Asterisk that I am attempting to port onto a RPi. Unfortunately I have had USB problems as the audio for my application is handled by a USB sound FOB. There is currently an update of the RPi USB driver underway and I have download the latest fixes which have not solved my problem.I think in general there are problems with the RPi USB hardware which also runs the Ethernet.

So I am about to give up on the RPi and possibly try moving over to the Beagle Black.

What are the experiences of the PIAF group regarding the Black? Have issues that could be attributed to the USB on the RPi cleared up when using the Black? Is there significantly more computing power using Asterisk with the Black?

Any insight on this would be helpful.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
See this thread for info on Raspberry Pi USB port problems. BeagleBone Black doesn't seem to have similar problem, but there is only one USB port so you would want a powered USB hub to get keyboard, mouse, and some external USB device supported simultaneously.

dsc3507

Reaction score
Yes, that guess is correct. The problem is that putting a sound FOB on the RPi is much different than running an FXO/FXS or digital phone via Ethernet. That is the key difference why PIAF works well and Allstar with the sound FOB has problems.

Generally we run our systems headless (no keyboard or mouse) communicating via an ssh connection so no need for multiple USB ports. I mainly wanted to know from the PIAF community from those who have used both the RPi and the Black what advantages (and maybe disadvantages) you find in the Black. I intend to try one in my application soon so just wanted a heads up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.