TIPS Raspberry Pi (B+) and Incredible PBX for Asterisk-GUI: Any Love?

Reaction score
Been gone for a while...nice to see that things are still going strong here.

So the answer to the first comment in the article on Raspberry Pi 2 and IncrediblePBX for Asterisk GUI states that port knocker doesn't work on the PiB+, but that everything else "boots". Has anyone verified enough to go from a status of "boots" to "works"? If I don't need port knocker, is there any other reason to stay away using this on the PiB+?

My current system has been running without attention for so long that I'm not even sure where to begin to make sure it's up to date with all the updates. Since I have a spare PiB+, I am planning to start from scratch with it. What would be the recommended from-scratch route to go?

I would like to have fax capability, voicemail IMAP integration (but I'll settle for simply getting an email with attachment), and I have older Aastra phones (480i in particular) that I would still like to work with voicemail and the various scripts that used to be available.

The biggest problem I have right now is that voicemail notification doesn't seem to work, so I don't when voicemails are waiting. I've also discovered my Aastra phones no longer display the email count correctly any more. They seem to get the count when they boot up, but the count never changes as voicemails are read or deleted.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
You have the spare (the "extra slice of") pi, troycarpenter, so you are well positioned to see if what's out there can take you from "boots" to "works" while maintaining your production machine, eh?

:cool:

Reaction score
If it ain't broke...

Well, I don't know it ain't broke. The Voicemail stuff is definitely not working right. My Aastra phones don't seem to know how many VMs there really are (they both say 76, but there are not 76 emails in the mailbox they are monitoring). Secondly, I'm not getting notified of the VMs via email (but that may be something I've done incorrectly on the system). One other odd thing that has crept up lately is that when my Aastra 480i goes offhook with the handset, there is a 10-15 second delay before the phone recognizes it. If I hit the speakerphone button, it's instantaneous. Don't know if that's a hardware thing or not. Most of my IP phones have been out of service for the past year since I moved and lost the infrastructure for them. Just getting it back in place now.

You have the spare (the "extra slice of") pi, troycarpenter, so you are well positioned to see if what's out there can take you from "boots" to "works" while maintaining your production machine, eh?

:cool:

You read my mind ;)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Frankly, the Raspberry Pi 2 is such a quantum leap in performance from the older RasPi's that $35 seems rather trivial, even on a tight budget.

Reaction score
I'll give you my wife's email address and you try to explain that. Had to buy a new printer, new hard drives, and a few other items recently and I'll need to wait to spring that on her (as well as a few other upcoming items). Besides, I almost ordered from MCM earlier today, and with a basic case and their unexplainable "Super Saver" shipping of $13, it was almost $60, so it's not really just $35. And I'll get the "you already have two of them" argument.

Reaction score
Ok, so I installed, and as expected, knockd gives a segmentation fault. However, I can't find the fax installation in /root. What has happened to it? I see it crossed off in the installation steps, but the guide doesn't indicate there should be a problem.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Ok, so I installed, and as expected, knockd gives a segmentation fault. However, I can't find the fax installation in /root. What has happened to it? I see it crossed off in the installation steps, but the guide doesn't indicate there should be a problem.

It's back. Just download the tarball again and grab it.

Reaction score
Thanks! That installed quite a bit and I made it to the "homework assignment" with only Google Voice inbound calls outstanding.. Using Yate on extension 6002 (before I move on to real phones), I could get the IVRs and 4747 among other things. Quick question...is flite the only TTS option with Rpi? I had so gotten used to the nice Allison-like voice of other TTS solutions.

So I pulled off one of my voip.ms subaccounts and using Yate I called my 10 digit cell number prefixed with a 9, which worked with the correct callerID and Asterisk console showed it went through voip.ms. (Note: Yate has an annoying high pitched squeal until ringback tones come from Asterisk.)

The only inconsistency now is the Google Voice instructions. GV has changed a bit since those instructions were written, and now there is Hangouts, not Chat, and not all the options listed in the setup instructions are there (like outbound callerID). I'm not sure, but I think the equivalent of setting GC as a destination is to go into Hangouts and allow calls and SMS. I followed as best as I could, and called my cell again from Yate, this time prefixed with a 1. Asterisk console shows the call (with some delay) going out GV, but the callerID on my cell was from toll free directory service (800-555-1212). Not sure how to set the correct callerID there yet.

Calling my GV number did not hit my PBX at all, and eventually went to GV voicemail. I must be missing something in the GV/Hangouts setup somewhere.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you change your Google Voice setup from Google Chat to Hangouts, U R screwed unless Google has had a change of heart. Hangouts does not support XMPP as far as I know. Sorry, but this has been documented in dozens of Nerd Vittles articles.

B-I0E9rCUAA1qv8.jpg:large

Reaction score
Hmm, never saw that option and I created the account yesterday. Maybe they don't give that option anymore. The only option there was for my cell phone.

EDIT:
Ok, after some searching, I managed to get back to old chat and it shows up in my phone list. I don't remember ever opting in to Hangouts, so I think it's their default now when you create a new account.

I still don't see where to set my outgoing callerID under the "Calls" menu.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
When you first log in to a new Google Voice account, a prompt appears asking if you wish to switch to or enable Hangouts. If you take the bait, Google Chat vanishes. Otherwise, it remains. Just added a new account this morning, and it still works fine.

Reaction score
Didn't see your post before editing mine. I guess I blindly accepted the Hangouts offer.

Anyway, I just tried an incoming from my cell to GV number and the IVR answered. Looks good! Still need to figure outgoing callerID.

EDIT:
I just tried again to call my cell from YATE and this time my GV number showed up on my phone. Still would like to put my normal (non GV) DID there.

Reaction score
Well, there it is.

My experience then is after following the instructions for Rpi2 but using an original Rpi B (not the plus). The only item not working right now is knockd, which fails with a segmentation fault.

The other oddity is that during the Asterisk build cycle, everything stopped on the options selection and I had to tap through that menu. Everything else was as documented, with the exception of the GV hiccup (really it was me not paying close enough attention). I will now go through the Gotcha-free documentation at http://nerdvittles.com/?p=11984 and see what else happens.

With a little debugging the knockd segfault may (or may not) be fixed. Not a critical issue for me.

Thanks for all your help and hanging with me. Stay warm.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here's the PortKnocker fix. Just haven't had time to roll it out yet...
Code:
cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/knock-RasPi2.tar.gz
tar zxvf knock-RasPi2.tar.gz
rm knock-RasPi2.tar.gz
./knock-RasPi2.sh

Reaction score
Using corrected information above.

It pulled in a new knockd version (knockd_0.5-3ubuntu1_armhf.deb), but I still get a segmentation fault.

Reaction score
Since the last version of knockd didn't work, I went to the website and downloaded the source:

Code:
cd /usr/src
wget http://www.zeroflux.org/proj/knock/files/knock-0.7.tar.gz
tar xzvf knock-0.7.tar.gz
cd knock-0.7
autoreconf -fi
./configure --prefix=/usr
make && make install
/etc/init.d/knockd start

That replaced the older version that was installed via the repository. I guess a full solution would be to actually build a .deb package, but I didn't go that far.

The faxing still hasn't worked for me. It's reporting a busy signal. See http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index.php?threads/gotcha-free-fax-cant-send.16603/#post-107391
http://pbxinaflash.com/community/in...-free-incrediblefax11-sending-problems.16653/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baata
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.