I HAVE A DREAM Raspberry Pi 2 + Gotcha-Free PBX

smccloud

Reaction score
Just ordered. Now you need to get to work on The Gotcha-Free PBX software for it ;)

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
They changed the architecture from Armv6 to Armv7 so backwards compatibility may be an issue. Still has 10/100 network and usb 2.0. If they were going to go as far as replacing the CPU, they should have gone all the way and gone with 1GB network and one usb 3.0 port. That would have been golden and future proofed it for at least a couple years.

At least it is planned to run basic version of Windows 10 which Microsoft is providing for free. That could be good or could be bad for M$, depending on how much they embrace the modder/hacker/educational communities.

Hometech

Reaction score
$35 Quad core ARMv7 PC : ODROID-C1
Have you seen this?

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php
201412051744489785.jpg
Amlogic Cortex-A5(ARMv7) 1.5Ghz quad core CPUs
* Mali-450 MP2 GPU (OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1 enabled for Linux and Android)
* 1Gbyte DDR3 SDRAM
* Gigabit Ethernet
* 40pin GPIOs
* eMMC4.5 HS200 Flash Storage slot / UHS-1 SDR50 MicroSD Card slot
* USB 2.0 Host x 4, USB OTG x 1,
* Infrared(IR) Receiver
* Ubuntu 14.04 or Android KitKat

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
$35 Quad core ARMv7 PC : ODROID-C1
Have you seen this...

Yeah. There's always going to be something bigger, better, or faster for more (or less) money. But each one of these platforms takes a lot of effort because there always seems to be something that's proprietary about them. If they run generic Ubuntu, then we'll probably be able to support it. Otherwise, between the Raspberry Pi, BBB, CuBox-i, and PogoPlug, we've pretty much got all we can deal with. By all means, get it working and share your code. We'll be glad to host it.

smccloud

Reaction score
Yeah. There's always going to be something bigger, better, or faster for more (or less) money. But each one of these platforms takes a lot of effort because there always seems to be something that's proprietary about them. If they run generic Ubuntu, then we'll probably be able to support it. Otherwise, between the Raspberry Pi, BBB, CuBox-i, and PogoPlug, we've pretty much got all we can deal with. By all means, get it working and share your code. We'll be glad to host it.

If I had time I'd try to help, but sadly I have an infant....

smccloud

Reaction score
They changed the architecture from Armv6 to Armv7 so backwards compatibility may be an issue. Still has 10/100 network and usb 2.0. If they were going to go as far as replacing the CPU, they should have gone all the way and gone with 1GB network and one usb 3.0 port. That would have been golden and future proofed it for at least a couple years.

At least it is planned to run basic version of Windows 10 which Microsoft is providing for free. That could be good or could be bad for M$, depending on how much they embrace the modder/hacker/educational communities.

Honestly, for most uses 10/100 is plenty. Other than the one guy that setup a computer cluster of them, they probably never use 10mbit unless installing software. USB3.0 would be nice however. But since mine will have a keyboard plugged in only for initial config once The Gotcha-Free PBX software is out for it not a huge deal for me. Up until then, I will be swapping my keyboard & mouse between it and my desktop.

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
In the meantime, Newark/Element 14's servers have been absolutely crushed all day.
"
We're Sorry

Our service is temporarily unavailable."

smccloud

Reaction score
That's why I went with Pimoroni, site was up and they had them in stock. I know it will cost me more due to the fact that there was a currency conversion but.....

Now wardmundy, how long do they take to ship & deliver?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Mine has already shipped so I'll let you know when it gets across the ocean. :boat:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We chose the Express Air service so it only took 2 days.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
PM me if you get it this weekend, and I'll send you a link to try out. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.