R.I.P. R.I.P. Google Voice

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
Well, nuts. :) Enjoy it 'til May 2014!

For those who put all their eggs in the Google basket, you have been warned! I hope I'm wrong, but I'd bet money there will be procrastinators that show up here after the cut-off asking what to do...

billsimon

I "liked" your post although I dislike the news. Thanks!

Reaction score
Their slow integration of the various social services and disabling of XMPP for other things are some of the reasons (along with flexibility) I setup my PBIAF box and ported my main number off of GV to begin with so I wouldn't have to rely on them and on them not breaking my client (I've been using GrooveIP like many others).
They've broken 3rd party compatibility before, but I guess now it's official that they don't want any 3rd party integration.
Now I just have a second GV account dedicated for use with my Obis/PIAF, but that's easy enough to replace with another proper SIP service when I need to for a minimal cost.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
After years of nothing happening, they are now working on MMS support. To late. I have moved on.
But maybe the VOIP providers will get around to offering MMS support.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Google: [W]e want to make Google Voice as secure as possible. There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice.
Loved the reference to violating their terms of service without any link to the terms. There's a good reason. If you review the terms, you won't find the problem! Reproduced here and here. And then there's this...

BX-jghxCQAE7gc9.jpg:large

As for this generic boilerplate, let's be clear. All existing Google Voice services use the method and interface that Google has provided for access to Google Voice, to wit: jabber/xmpp and jingle. Both protocol "methods" are documented, supported, encouraged, AND hosted on Google's own developer web site!

It's one thing to change course which Google has every right to do. It's quite another to lie about why and accuse your own developers of wrongdoing when they were merely using tools freely provided by and supported on Google's own developer website. Don't be evil, indeed. Practice what you preach!

Just another Google 180 on the open Internet philosophy. Get porting!

Reaction score
Yeah, I fail to see how ME authorizing an app to use MY Credentials to connect to MY account so I can use it is a violation of some vague TOS and is a "security risk". *shrug*
But then, that seems to be the norm these days with services. They all want complete control over exactly how users connect (and with what) and what they can do (see also, Twitter locking down APIs and locking out 3rd party devs etc.).

And frankly, I'd respect them more if they just flat out said "We don't want 3rd party programs and services accessing our system, so we're locking it down" instead of using the vague security and TOS arguments.

rtalcott

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the Obi devices for a few years now and it was the google voice that made them so appealing...however over the past few years their support (explanations of new FW etc.) dropped to zero and most of what little I did see was very poorly written like this recent blog post about gv. Bottom line is good luck Obi but you seem to have gone clueless and I suspect you won't know how to develop your business and survive in the long term....amf guys...so...

I have a few gv numbers I'd like to keep can this be done with a Raspberry Pi + Asterisk (easily) still? Or is gv/hangouts no longer an option to use with a handset.

Thanx
rt

Reaction score
I'm using an Ooma with one of my Obi 100's and it works fine.
It's not the most inexpensive option, but once you buy the device it's just the taxes/fees (about $4/mo for me) if you don't want the premium service (which is kind of pointless if you are just using as a trunk) - I'll be cancelling my premium service soon (the only reason I had premium service to begin with was the GV integration).

VaHam

Reaction score
I have been using a MJ+ with an OBi 110 for a long time without problems. I also tried it with NetTalk but that didn't work as well. For some reason my NetTalk Duo never got an update and would drop offline and make all kinds of crazy sounds so when last renew time came up I opted out of renewing it.

mdseuss

Reaction score
I had unrealistically hoped that Google Voice would one day just start charging and make it whole. (Though I'm sure that would come with all manner of legal troubles).

So I'm definitely sad to read this especially since I'm running a most excellent "Bill Simon Recipe" YATE server for about 10 numbers. I also have a number of friends/family who will need a little guidance to adjust their ObiHAI devices depending on whether they want to keep their number, forward to another number or just get a new number.

But I'm also not worried because I know that Nerd Uno and company will always have an array of alternatives. (And I had the great pleasure to meet Nerd Uno in person at Astricon !)

Huckda

Guru
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Magic Jack thing... but damn GV was nice while it lasted...

steve54301

Guru
Reaction score
I am also interested in hearing more about MJ+ with an OBi 110.

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
$11.88/year for unmetered inbound and half a penny a minute for outbound US. That's about as low cost as it gets ... SIP, works on any Obi device.
That's from Localphone.com.

twinclouds

Guru
Reaction score
I have been using a MJ+ with an OBi 110 for a long time without problems. I also tried it with NetTalk but that didn't work as well. For some reason my NetTalk Duo never got an update and would drop offline and make all kinds of crazy sounds so when last renew time came up I opted out of renewing it.
How do you do that (using a MJ+ with an OBi 110)?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
$11.88/year for unmetered inbound and half a penny a minute for outbound US. That's about as low cost as it gets ... SIP, works on any Obi device.
That's from Localphone.com.

And then there's Anveo with U.S. residential DIDs for $2 a month with unlimited inbound calls and $.005/min. terminations.

twinclouds

Guru
Reaction score
And then there's Anveo with U.S. residential DIDs for $2 a month with unlimited inbound calls and $.005/min. terminations.
Ward:
Thanks and thank you for the many effort you put into this effort. I am like GV so much and it is really heartbreaking to know they are going to do some thing like this. It will be much better if they can start charging a reasonable fee but not like this to leave everybody in the cold.
I have two questions looking forward: 1. Do you know if the "old way", i.e., using GV to call out and bridging to a DID line, will still work? 2. Will the standard use of GV, i.e., one number connected to all other phone numbers still work? I have using my GV numbers to connect to different people so I cannot really tell everybody that the old number does not work anymore.
Thank you as always for your help.

stanjohn

Not quite right
Reaction score
The incoming call forward to a regular phone number / several numbers will continue to work as before. So using one of the free/low cost voip DID providers as the old method will work. Free out going using google's hang-out interface from a web will most likely work. Google position appears to be using hacks to their web/smart phone interfaces to make outgoing calls from a pbx is not allowed, not to say some may try.

If you want to use google numbers for incoming and another provider for outgoing you will need address the problem of your out going caller id not matching your google number. It is possible but may limit your choice of providers. If you can accept incoming calls on both numbers then you can ignore the miss match, I have worked this way for several months.

Reading between the lines you may consider using the same provider for incoming and outgoing and port your number out of google.

leemason

Guru
Reaction score
Google Voice has always seemed a bit like nailing a jelly to a wall. And all the work now seems to be down the drain thanks to big G! I see M$ are also removing third party support from Skype. Cartel in operation? If it looks like a pig and it smells like a pig...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.