SOLVED PIAF2 neorouter server not working

ariban

Reaction score
Hi,
I just did a new install of asterisk 11 green with freepbx 2.11. everything is working great besides the neorouter.
When i run nrclientcmd on the server i put the domain to be the same fqdn as my server, the username and password match the same that i have on my desktop computer. on my desktop it logs in no problem and i see my computer in the list however the server doesnt connect at all when i try ot run nrclientcmd it just freezes up and doesnt move for hours.
i had to close the ssh and start again to get back in and again the same problem.
also via ssh to my piaf server if i run the command nrserver -showcomputers i can see the other desktop computer but from my desktop i cant see my piaf server
am i doing something wrong?
attached is a screen shot of the freeze and also the status.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

BSg4TnaCQAMVq2_.jpg

ariban

Reaction score
Hi Ward,
Yes I am running the correct and latest for my 32bit.
i tried to redownload and install bu still the same error.
what should i do to troubleshoot this? what info do you need from me?
thank you
Ben

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
are u connecting the client to localhost or a fqdn? Try localhost first

ariban

Reaction score
I was connecting it to fqdn and i just tried localhost but its still not connecting. and yes i am forwarding port 32976 TCP to my piaf server.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
turn off iptables and fail2ban temporarily and try using localhost again. Beyond that ......

ariban

Reaction score
i turned off both services and still it freezes. this is a fresh install with the latest green edition asterisk 11 piaf 2.11.
when i type the password you dont see it typing anything, i figured this is normal for passwords, is this suppose to be the case or maybe this is why its not working?
also when i was installing piaf i did it on another computer and then i transfered the hard drive to the one its on now (because this one doesnt have a cd\dvd drive), i updated the eth0 mac address so the internet works fine on this new computer but do you think maybe there is something else i should do to make this neorouter work? any connection between the 2?

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
That information would have been helpful to begin with. Strange things happen when you move from one machine to another regardless of how careful you are. Some have luck some don't. Me I bought an external dvd drive supported by linux and use that in DVD less installs I also keep around a sata DVD and cables (including splitters and adapters) (I won't support anything that does not have sata at a minimum no more eide.

I have done extensive experimentation in the PIAF lab trying to move hard drives even on supposedly identical DELL machines with weird results. This was why we developed incredible backup as you can migrate things even if it is on dissimilar hardware although you have to install a fresh copy of PIAF from a dvd or from a flash drive. (I did not create the flash drive install so I don't personally support it.)

How did you install neorouter? Did you use the install program we provided or did you hand install it following directions on the web?

Just for a laugh I brought up a virgin copy of green 32 in one of our remote labs and installed neorouter using our install program It seems to work just fine and the local machine connects directly to local host and the statically assigned IP address. I have been able to connect to it from a number of other machines in different countries also.

So I am inclined to think it is the way you did your base install also I noticed you are using incredible PBX generally this is not a problem however I would recommend the following paradigm

1. Reinstall PIAF using the latest ISO (yes you will need to borrow a portable DVD drive or get the flash drive ISO thingy working)
2. PRIOR to doing any customization including installing the incredible pbx run our vpn in a flash installer that is included with the base install
3. See if you can connect with this setup if so then install incredible and go from there. If not it could be a hardware issue specific to you

Generally we collect ALL reports of problems and see if there is a pattern developing. So far since we put out the neorouter installer we have had only 3 reports of problems and none were like yours. This is not to say that there is not a problem BUT...... When we can't replicate the error in the PIAF lab we tend to look elsewhere for a root cause like bad install or wonky incompatible hardware.

Tom

ariban

Reaction score
is there a way without reinstalling everything? i just installed everything new 2 weeks ago and everything works perfect, only neorouter doesnt work. the install before last week was having other issues which is now solved in this new install, so i am worried to make another install when everything else works great!
let me know.

ariban

Reaction score
good thing i didnt. i have no idea how but this seemed to fix it.
i tried /etc/rc.d/init.d/nrservice.sh restart and it gave me an error, i guess because it was not started. so i changed it to /etc/rc.d/init.d/nrservice.sh start and it now started
then i again did /etc/rc.d/init.d/nrservice.sh restart and it succesfully restarted. then i ran the command nrcliendcmd and put in all the info and this time everything works!
so it had nothing to do with what you said, maybe you should try to figure out why this was happening and maybe you can try to fix it for others!
thanks for all your help!

ariban

Reaction score
just to make sure i just rebooted the server now and made sure the service automatically starts with the reboot. so yes its now working great! i dont know why i had to manually type /etc/rc.d/init.d/nrservice.sh start in order to get it to work!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I doubt it's the last of the quirky problems for you, but good luck anyway. :driving:

ariban

Reaction score
lol thanks! although i do love all the work you do and i cant thank you enough for all the savings i am earning by using your system which works amazing!

what is the best way to donate something to help with your work?
and second being that i might encounter more issues like you say, is there a way that i can completely back up the entire hard drive with your system so i have it in case something goes wrong or the server hard drive burns?
thanks

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
good thing i didnt. i have no idea how but this seemed to fix it.
i tried /etc/rc.d/init.d/nrservice.sh restart and it gave me an error, i guess because it was not started. so i changed it to /etc/rc.d/init.d/nrservice.sh start and it now started
then i again did /etc/rc.d/init.d/nrservice.sh restart and it succesfully restarted. then i ran the command nrcliendcmd and put in all the info and this time everything works!
so it had nothing to do with what you said, maybe you should try to figure out why this was happening and maybe you can try to fix it for others!
thanks for all your help!

While I appreciate your viewpoint this is not happening on other systems on a regular basis so it points back to something other than the install programs. Not sure what however I have looked at everything *again* and still can't make it perform similar to your system. So for the moment until start getting hundreds of complaints that neorouter is not working consistently or we can reproduce it in the lab we will close this case and mark it unknown non reproducible problem. Glad you got it working

Tom

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
VoIP is quirky enough without introducing random problems. Backing up a system that's already experiencing problems (that nobody else has ever reported) is really a waste of time. We always prefer to start with a stable platform and move forward, but...

l_39040_b966978b.jpg

directionpointer

Reaction score
I came across this as I was having the same issue. The issue is NOT with PIAF but with the server IP address that is registered for your domain in your dashboard at neorouter.com.

- 1 - Go to NeoRouter.com, then login to your Dashboard.
- 2 - If not already there, click on "Domain Status"
- 3 - Look at your "Server Public IPv4 Address:" and every time this happened that address was my laptops public IP address instead of my cloud servers public IP address.
- 4 - Simply go to "Edit Domain" then change the "Server Information - IPv4 Address:" to the public IP address that your domains NeoRouter server is located.
- 5 - Hit save and all works well again, worst case you may need to restart the Neorouter Clients.

The IP address change happened because I would login to the neorouter domain config tool from the laptop, instead of making changes from the cloud server command line.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.