TIPS PIAF with existing Mitel phones, recommendataions

Russ K

Reaction score
I am thinking of loading up an existing server computer with PIAF for use with about 19 existing Mitel phones that are currently connected to a hosted PBX provider. I think (but need to confirm) that the phones are running on their own switch. I don't know about a separate VLAN or how DHCP is configured yet.

I'm looking for some general recommendations from people who have done this already. Any problems/implications to using the Mitel phones with PIAF? I'm assuming I won't be able to do lighted buttons for all the extensions and other proprietary functions. Also, do you think a separate VLAN would be needed, even if they are on their own switch/cables (assuming 19 phones)? Any particular version of PIAF that I should choose?

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Rossiv is the Mitel guru to my knowledge.
The 5224 was sold in at least 2 versions - if you have the 'dual' version it will accept SIP configuration and works like a charm on PIAF. I ended up buying Yealink phones because I need my phone registered on multiple systems and I use the VPN functionality built-in to the phones.

Mitel 5224 had a great speaker phone and lots of buttons - unfortunately they are now sitting in my basement since I needed features they didn't have as legacy products. BLF and other buttons all worked fine for what I was requiring from them.

Andrew

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I love me some Mitel phones! What model are you using? As long as they are dual mode, you shouldn't have any issues. Do keep in mind that not all of the features that work in MiNet mode will work in SIP mode. BLF is especially wonky.

The OSS EPM has provisioning built in for some of the models. I know it does most (if not all) of the 53xx series. I'm using more than a few 5224, 5324, and 5340s on a PIAF system without any issues.

hashkent

Reaction score
I had a Mitel 5212 working with BLF. I prefer the handset / voice codec options of the Polycom's but.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I had a Mitel 5212 working with BLF. I prefer the handset / voice codec options of the Polycom's but.

Don't get me wrong, BLF works. It's a basic implementation though. You can monitor other extensions, but you can't push a blinking BLF to do call pickup or anything fancy like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.