PIAF-OpenVZ with CentOS 5.7

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We've completed work on a new OpenVZ template (871.20 MB) for PIAF-Purple with CentOS 5.7, Asterisk 1.8.6.0, and the latest modules for FreePBX 2.8 including tm1000's Google Voice GUI update from this past week. You can build virtual machines in under 2 minutes flat. And they boot up in about 1 minute. We've also installed Tom King's latest Apache, PHP, PHPMyAdmin modules on top of CentOS 5.7. This should address all known exploits... for today. The template also includes EndPoint Manager, CallerID Superfecta, AsteriDex, Telephone Reminders, and Hotel WakeUp Call FreePBX modules. We need a few testers for this latest upgrade to CentOS 5.7 and would welcome your suggestions/additions/deletions.

If you're using this with Proxmox, be sure to run your Proxmox server behind a secure hardware-based firewall with no Internet port exposure. Reportedly, any current version of Proxmox with OpenVZ is extremely vulnerable to a root exploit because of the kernel being used. Once an attacker takes over your Proxmox server, ALL of your virtual machines are 100% vulnerable! If you need Internet access to a Proxmox server, do it only with a WhiteList of safe IP addresses or a VPN. For details on the web vulnerability, read this thread and this one.

Because of Tom's Apache and PHP patches, we think the actual OpenVZ virtual machines created with this new template are safer for Internet exposure individually; however, we ALWAYS recommend not exposing any virtual machine to wholesale Internet access. It is NOT necessary to make or receive phone calls! If you do need Internet access for admin or a remote phone, use IPtables on the virtual machine to create a WhiteList!!!

20110915-kxw5mw3sbxt6ey32hfnj4k2fdb.jpg

PROXMOX INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

To load the new PIAF-OpenVZ template with CentOS 5.7 on your Proxmox server, log into the server as root and issue these commands:

cd /var/lib/vz/template/cache
wget http://nerd.bz/nFhdxG

To load the new PIAF-OpenVZ template with CentOS 5.5 on your Proxmox server, log into the server as root and issue these commands:

cd /var/lib/vz/template/cache
wget http://nerd.bz/p45qzi

UPDATE: Both the CentOS 5.5 and 5.7 templates now are also available from SourceForge.

To create a new OpenVZ virtual machine using the new template, use the Proxmox browser interface: Virtual Machine, Create:

Create OpenVZ-type container using new template
disk space 25
memory 512
swap 512
hostname (your choice)
password (your choice; pw for FreePBX is password11; use passwd-master to change it)

Change Network Type to Bridged Ethernet veth
DNS domain: pbxinaflash.net
Bridge: vmbr0
Mac Address: use default
DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
2d DNS: 8.8.4.4

Here's a sample of what the Create VM form should look like:

20110916-kbpasbkebhhp1r97gam61uianq.jpg

SECURING IPTABLES FIREWALL:

As mentioned, we recommend running all of your virtual machines behind a secure, hardware-based firewall with NO Internet exposure. If your virtual machine is actually running on a hosted server on the Internet, this may not be possible. You still can make your virtual machine rock-solid secure with the included IPtables firewall. Here's how.

1. Remove existing access to the dangerous ports

2. Add WhiteList IP addresses for the locations where you need access for admin or remote phone access

To remove access to dangerous ports, change:

-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 113 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9001 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9080 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 4569 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5000:5082 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 10000:20000 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 4445 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5038 -j ACCEPT

to this:

#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 113 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9001 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9080 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 4569 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 5000:5082 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 10000:20000 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 4445 -j ACCEPT
#-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5038 -j ACCEPT

To add WhiteList IP addresses for sites from which you need access to the server for admin or phones, find the section of the file that looks like this:

-A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -s 172.16.0.0/255.240.0.0 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -s 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -s 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 -j ACCEPT

Add entries just below the existing series that look like this using your actual IP addresses:

-A INPUT -s 111.222.111.222 -j ACCEPT

FINAL IMPORTANT STEPS:

1. Be sure you have added a WhiteList entry for the IP address you're using to access your server, or you will lock yourself out!

2. Then, restart your firewall to load the new settings: service iptables restart

3. Verify that your new settings are working and are what you expected to see: iptables -nL

4. Attempt to access your virtual machine's web interface using the browser on your cellphone (assuming it is not in your WhiteList). This will validate that the firewall is working properly by denying you access.

KNOWN QUIRKS:

The status display isn't quite right. This is what displays on a Proxmox VM with IPtables up and running. The third step above will verify it for you:

20110918-b38abfp1shy9shwcx9mqnr74j9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
Mr Ward, I thought we've had an OpenVZ template for Purple for a while (64-bit only I think) as it is how I run mine on my VPS through my hosting company -- they got the template for me.

Is this a new one for 32-bit maybe? and do you have any plans for Red yet?

I would love to use your new one but still cant figure out the backup module so I don't have to recreate the wheel -- extensions-easy DIDs-easy but Queues, ring groups, conferences -- not so easy as they don't have the modules for the export of the data.

The system backup may but I can't figure that out to save my life.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
This one is still 64-bit. Much newer CentOS. Much more secure. Much newer Asterisk 1.8 which is more reliable particularly with Google Voice.

No plans for Asterisk 10 at the moment. Wouldn't be hard to do it yourself. Just follow along in one of the EXPERIMENTAL threads for details.

Last edited by a moderator:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Newly updated OpenVZ template is now available. See above.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Actually status has been fixed for the new template. Has not been pushed out to everyone else yet as it is a work in progress. Once complete it will be available by the usual update-programs. Please be patient.

Also for the moment the N/A * means not available running under proxmox.

Tom

proxstatus.jpg

robfantini

Reaction score
i had to do this after the wget:

mv nFhdxG centos-5.7-purple1.8.6-piaf_1.7.5.5.5-2_amd64.tar.gz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.