FUNNY STUFF PIAF on a Raspberry PI?

KevinE

Reaction score
Is it possible to install it on one of these devices - power consumption is somewhere around 700mA @ 5 volts so it would be extremely cheap to run 24/7 (and cheap to buy at ~$35 each). Another option might be a beagle board?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Specs:
Broadcom BCM2835 700MHz ARM1176JZFS processor with FPU and Videocore 4 GPU
GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and DMA infrastructure
256MB RAM
Boots from SD card, running the Fedora version of Linux
10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket
HDMI socket
USB 2.0 socket
RCA video socket
SD card socket
Powered from microUSB socket
3.5mm audio out jack
Header footprint for camera connection
Size: 85.6 x 53.98 x 17mm

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
No..................

PIAF2 doesn't run on these miniature systems. Not enough RAM, horsepower, or disk space. Atom PCs are extremely efficient when not in use.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Why Dream?

We've got PIAF2 running flawlessly on a NetBox, an incredibly small (size) Atom computer with no moving parts plus Skype, Google Voice, and reliable faxing at a price point that any small to medium-sized business can afford (Under $250). That's a pretty good day's work in our book. The NetBox is the all-black unit to the right in the photo below. It's about 60% of the size of our former favorite (to its left and 3 of these Aspire Revo's are currently for sale in our forums for just over $100 each), the Acer Revo, at roughly half the cost. And it's less than half the size of a Mac Mini (2 pictured below the Acer and NetBox devices)

20120229_091012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gregc

Guru
Reaction score
Is that a microphone for giants in the foreground?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You Know What They Say About the Man of Steel

Actually I was testing out a new Rick Santorum-inspired contraceptive in our lab. :sifone:

Cozzer79

Reaction score
Hi there - I don't see why you couldn't build something on a Raspberry Pi that would be useful; I've got my PIAF build running in a VM on an Atom processor currently with 256Mb RAM and that handles 10 odd calls concurrently without issue. There are distro's other than PIAF that are running on similar hardware (ShivaPlug's etc.) - I'll let you know when I get my hands on one, although I've been setting up a development platform based on the ARM version of Debian 6.0.4 that I'll be playing with at work :eek:)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The ShivaPlug distros that I've seen have a very slimmed down (crippled) collection of FreePBX modules running.

But I Could Be Wrong... let us know if you get it working.

klingon888

Guru
Reaction score
I actually have Freepbx and Asterisk 1.8 compiled on Debian working very well on the Sheevaplug. All Freepbx functionalities and modules work. You'll be surprised at how efficient the ARM platform is. No g729 but I never use it anyway. Head over to http://www.plugpbx.org/ for more details.

Since RaspberryPi uses ARM processor and Debian is one of the tested OS, I dont see any reason why it wouldn't work as well. I've actually placed an order for it but due to the huge demand, I wont get one till sometime in May. Couldnt resist one for only $35!

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
I'm really glad thread like this made it. They make me smile. Too bad Hyksos (spelling, whatever) comments didn't make the cut. They were some of the best.

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
Funny, because these post are just like having a time machine!!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
magna.vis: Back from the dead... :alien:

It would be nice to see a PIAF build for the RPi though... Any chance of that? There's a lot of peeps out there that would like to do something like this that are terrified of manual building!

I think that's pretty much the point of Raspberry Pi, Cozzer!

And like it was said before in a lot of places... the fact that you think you can make it work DOES NOT MEAN that the dev team should pour energy that way for a handful of users who want to play with it this way. Nobody prevents you from doing whatever you want but they have said multiple times that those platform are not a good idea in general for the majority of the community so I think it is safe to say that there is no chance of that to quote you ;)
They recommended, buy, test and discuss small footprint platform all over the forum but their opinion is that if you want to play with very specific platform YOU should do it.
Feel free to experiment as you wish!

Very true Hyksos. We have enough trouble keeping up with the problems caused by users trying to install PIAF on Radio Shack TRS80's using a cassette tape without adding even more headaches. While the goals are laudable they are not what the core team wants to do. People are welcome to do as they please. However if a project such as the pi gets off the ground we would be unable to support it as our *FREE* resources are stretched pretty thin these days. I can just see some CFO replacing their cisco phone system with a pi and saving the company 100's of thousands per year...... always good for a laugh. We have had a number of these cheap and small systems come up in the past along with CF cards as hard drives all were tested in the PIAF lab all failed or needed so much support just to keep it running that they were deemed not feasible. Also several of the systems would have required complete rewrites of everything as these used NON amd/intel CPU's. We try to aim for reliable product that works for most people using reasonably priced (NOT CHEAP) hardware to achieve good performance.
Unfortunately these types of discussions take on the tone of religious fervor rapidly.
So officially from the PBX in a Flash Development Team (we all agreed for once!)
The raspberry pi WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED!
That being said you are welcome to try to get PIAF running on it.
Good luck
Tom
Lead Developer
PBX in a Flash Development Team

Indeed - my Pi should be with me in the next few days, and I've already a working image on an SD card of Asterisk/FreePBX/WebMIN and a few other niceities ready to go with. It's not PIAF (if I was running everything contained within PIAF on a Pi, it would very quickly become bogged down - therefore I certainly won't be attempting to port PIAF to the Pi), but does contain all the functionality that *I* need in a PBX - thanks to the backup/restore feature of FreePBX it was reasonably simple to move over the required configuration.
So I guess my final comment as far as the Pi goes will be cheers for the introducion, and thanks for all the fish - I'm unlikely to be using a PIAF build at home anymore :) (That being said, we still play with PIAF based boxes though work!)
C

I think that's pretty much the point of Raspberry Pi, Cozzer!
Again, indeed - although there's a number of "appliance" type installations available for them already; not truely in the spirit, but there you go lol
I'm getting out of the argument whilst the going is good ;)
C

Some cards work. Some don't. Move on to one of the recommended ones.

this is what happened to my pi and I cant seem to get it to work again, any suggestions please help.
cant seem to get a public ip again and cant make eveything else say up again, any ideas?? the only thing I did was to change the card for a bigger capacity one, from 4gig to 8 gig

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
I'm really glad thread like this made it. They make me smile. Too bad Hyksos (spelling, whatever) comments didn't make the cut. They were some of the best.

You are referencing which comments just so I can follow? The fact that I discussed the Pi would not come and it did or something else?

magna.vis

Guru
Reaction score
You get a cookie! In fact, I had confused some of Tom's comments for yours as well. As I had remembered in my mind, you denied the possibly quite vehemently.

More than anything it's that no one can ever really see the future of a project, even developers and lead contributors. It leaves doors open that would be closed if the developers' say was final. It was also reminiscent of the good old days when "640K ought to be enough for anybody" (IBM, 1981) and "we will never make a 32-bit operating system" (Bill Gates). I've learned to speak sans absolutes in regards to computers and technology in general, having seen many impossible things come to pass, and therefore find it amusing when others do speak in absolutes.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
There was H.M. Warner, of Warner Brothers Studios in 1927:
“Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?”​

and the famous statement made by Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM in 1943:
“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”​
and Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation in 1977:
"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."​
and Bill Gates, of Microsoft in 1981:
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."​

Ward is in good company!
;) :clap: :) Thanks for all that you do for PBX In A Flash ... it is a great ride!

/Pete/

jmcman

Guru
Reaction score
;) Yes, those are all good quotes from ages ago!

Question: does anyone know how many concurrent calls the RPi will handle? I'm just curious, I'm certainly not planning on using it in a professional setup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.