TUTORIAL PIAF-Green on Windows Hyper-V 2012

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Role installed is working pretty well.
For kicks I ran dahdi_test and got these results. I read that CentOS 6.4 has Hyper-V 2012 drives built in. I also installed the Linux Integration components.

--- Results after 2405 passes ---
Best: 100.000% -- Worst: 99.619% -- Average: 99.964364%
Cummulative Accuracy (not per pass): 99.998

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
It does have Hyper V 2012 in it; works like a charm. I am still testing it for loads and stuff. The built in hyper v replication works perfectly as well.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
It does have Hyper V 2012 in it; works like a charm. I am still testing it for loads and stuff. The built in hyper v replication works perfectly as well.

If it can stand a load of say 50 endpoints and 7 concurrent calls I just may do it. The business resumption/disaster recovery ability of the Hyper-V replication is compelling.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I am trying to figure out how to test it for 50 endpoints. Loading for concurrent calls isn't a big deal. I have access to 50 endpoints but it's very hard to figure out how to do a test with that.

Boolah

Guru
Reaction score
Just forward 5060 on your router and post the SIP credentials for your 50 extensions. It'll be tested for you in no time! :D

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
That's funny, but might really work. If I setup a system connected to a single prepaid carrier and offered Canada / US calls only on a single pre-paid $100 account and told everyone to have at it for a day for free, I bet that would load it up nicely in a few minutes. It's a bit like being Google (Voice) for a day. I could even run around and say I will do no evil. Whether I will or not is entirely debatable and directly related to how much I have to drink that day, but that goes without saying.

I better put that on a DSL dynamic IP though.
And not connected to any other networks of mine.
And you know, put on an asbestos suit cause it might get a little hot.

loskinski

Reaction score
Have you considered trying to get it run on azure? I have a customer that is moving a lot of their VMs up to Microsoft Windows Azure. I need to do some playing around and see if it is possible.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Have you considered trying to get it run on azure? I have a customer that is moving a lot of their VMs up to Microsoft Windows Azure. I need to do some playing around and see if it is possible.

I hate the cloud and everything about it. It will all end in tears, mark my words.

Private cloud is another matter.

Basically here's what you do:

Setup two Hyper V free servers (see docs above, there is also a technet article). Suggest spending the money for active directory on a server (I am using, for example in my little consult company, a $300 Supermicro and Windows Essentials which supports up to 25 users for active directory; I get that in a MAPS subscription as a partner but it's $325 or so for most other people). You don't have to do this though you can follow the instructions for setup then use a Windows 8 workstation to easily manage this.

PIAF Green (and purple) install no problem and no integration tools needed. Just straight install and you're done.

Replicate to your secondary server.

Delete the MAC address in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. Don't need that.

Create script: rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and execute before eth0 comes up in boot, or post boot, whatever is easiest for you. The reason for this is eth0 won't come up after failover if this isn't deleted.

I still haven't tested fully (meet me, load testing or confbridge are still on my list) but I'll have that done in a couple weeks. Will report back, but this is a pretty cool way to have an automated failover server and a DR server (no problem to replicate over the WAN). Very resilient.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
I hate the cloud and everything about it. It will all end in tears, mark my words.

Private cloud is another matter.

Basically here's what you do:

Setup two Hyper V free servers (see docs above, there is also a technet article). Suggest spending the money for active directory on a server (I am using, for example in my little consult company, a $300 Supermicro and Windows Essentials which supports up to 25 users for active directory; I get that in a MAPS subscription as a partner but it's $325 or so for most other people). You don't have to do this though you can follow the instructions for setup then use a Windows 8 workstation to easily manage this.

PIAF Green (and purple) install no problem and no integration tools needed. Just straight install and you're done.

Replicate to your secondary server.

Delete the MAC address in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. Don't need that.

Create script: rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and execute before eth0 comes up in boot, or post boot, whatever is easiest for you. The reason for this is eth0 won't come up after failover if this isn't deleted.

I still haven't tested fully (meet me, load testing or confbridge are still on my list) but I'll have that done in a couple weeks. Will report back, but this is a pretty cool way to have an automated failover server and a DR server (no problem to replicate over the WAN). Very resilient.

Hi!

I was wondering if you had a chance to test this... I'm mulling moving my PiaF install to Hyper-V...

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if you had a chance to test this... I'm mulling moving my PiaF install to Hyper-V...

It's in production now. I haven't load tested per se but no problems under normal load (about 20 users some business related). One user had an issue with echo when I moved it but it looks like that's a carrier problem; they are using a WISP (I also moved ISP / Datacenter at the same time). No meetme, just confbridge; only used once but was OK.

Have done the failover test - worked BUT had to make sure the persistent net rules file was deleted as per the details above.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
It's in production now. I haven't load tested per se but no problems under normal load (about 20 users some business related). One user had an issue with echo when I moved it but it looks like that's a carrier problem; they are using a WISP (I also moved ISP / Datacenter at the same time). No meetme, just confbridge; only used once but was OK.

Have done the failover test - worked BUT had to make sure the persistent net rules file was deleted as per the details above.

Thanks for the update. I'm planning on going live in January (we move to new office space then) 99% sure I'm sticking the Hyper-V. As of today 44 users. Based on current calling patterns no more than 7 concurrent calls.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'm planning on going live in January (we move to new office space then) 99% sure I'm sticking the Hyper-V. As of today 44 users. Based on current calling patterns no more than 7 concurrent calls.

Can't see that being a problem but would be grateful for your feedback on any issues you experience. I think I might allocate 4GB of RAM, were I you, to be on the safe side, though mine is working fine with 2. Max simultaneous calls on mine has been 4 though.

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
Will do. I have my future system up and running now. Ready to go. I just need to to get a PRI gateway and settle on a phone type.

(We still use PRI) Debating between Redfone, Sangoma Vega 100 or Digium G100.

I just reran dahdi_test

--- Results after 2680 passes ---
Best: 100.000% -- Worst: 99.605% -- Average: 99.960101%
Cummulative Accuracy (not per pass): 99.997

rjaiswal

Reaction score
My current system handles around 2-3 concurrent calls a day. So, I think I'll be making the move. All of my trunks are sip, so I think it will be relatively painless.

Quick question. Would you dedicate a nic to the piaf VM, or share one with another VM?

MrBostn

Guru
Reaction score
For me-I'm planning on a dedicated NIC from within Hyper-V. 2-3 calls...Doesn't seem you'll need it. Unless you're running a torrent factory ;)

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
My current system handles around 2-3 concurrent calls a day. So, I think I'll be making the move. All of my trunks are sip, so I think it will be relatively painless.

Quick question. Would you dedicate a nic to the piaf VM, or share one with another VM?

Share. Makes no difference. Mine is shared.

pbxiaf1616

Reaction score
I installed piaf green in hyper-v, its working well but I dont know how to add the sound driver for skype calling to work, can someone tell me what the steps are.. Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.