Passwords

2source

Reaction score
Hi,

I followed Tom King's guide to installation, but there is no mention of changing the default manager or mysql passwords.

Should this be done in the same way as trixbox, or are there any additional changes to be made?

Thanks

Karl Linley

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

There are instructions at FreePBX to change your default passwords. However, theoretically, there is no requirement to change the remote passwords, as you will note from the accept and deny entries that both Asterisk and MySQL will only accept connections from localhost (127.0.0.1), and not from an outside entity.

Joe

2source

Reaction score
Thanks okay then, I was just trying to get rid of the warning on the main screen thats all. But I was struggling with the guide from the free pbx site, one of the files doesnt exist on my install and when I then try and get back into http://ipaddress/admin I get an error

FATAL ERROR

[nativecode=Access denied for user 'asteriskuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)] ** mysql://asteriskuser:amp109@localhost/asterisk

Thanks

Karl Linley

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

From memory, the steps are as follows: -

1. Change the AMPDBPASS password in /etc/amportal.conf
2. Login to mySQL and change the password to match - do this via webmin or phpmyadmin
3. cd /usr/src/freepbx
4. ./apply_conf.sh
5 amportal restart.

Check it all works, then move on to the asterisk manager password:

1. edit /etc/amportal.conf AMPMGRPASS to a password of your choice
2. Edit /etc/asterisk/manager.conf to change the password to the same as above
3. cd /usr/src/freepbx
4. ./apply_conf.sh
5. amportal restart.

Can you confirm these instructions work to make sure I have not forgotten anything

Joe

2source

Reaction score
Hi,

This does'nt work on my install. The free pbx instructions says to do the following.......

/etc/amportal.conf
/etc/asterisk/cdr_mysql.conf
/etc/asterisk/res_mysql.conf

and to change it in mysql, which I have done, but then this breaks the free pbx page. Have I just missed something really silly???

Thanks

Karl

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

at risk of stating the obvious, you need to go back and confirm all the settings.

Start with the mysql database - enter the following command at the CLI:-

mysql -uasteriskuser -pYourPasswordHere

and you should see: -
"Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 2413 to server version: 5.0.22
Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
mysql>"

If not, the password has not changed in MySQL - go back and change it.

Next go back and check the amportal.conf, to make sure the passwords match - note that there are two entries - one at the top and one at the bottom.

run the apply_conf.sh script in the /usr/src/freepbx directory

then amportal restart.

Joe

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Hi,

I followed Tom King's guide to installation, but there is no mention of changing the default manager or mysql passwords.

Should this be done in the same way as trixbox, or are there any additional changes to be made?

Thanks

Karl Linley
Hi 2source

Thanks for your comments. The install doc is very much a work in progress and it is not finished by a longshot. I am going to release today a beta passwd-master script that will assist you with password setup. Unfortunately it will not fix the mysql and the freepbx admin/admin yet. It will patch webmin to use your root account and its password for logon, turn off authentication of freepbx so no admin/admin login screen, and set maint, amp, meetme to the same password. While of course none of this is recommended for obvious security reasons and I am a bad person for releasing it, it does serve a purpose.

I have tried a number of approaches to the same problem you are having and it still is causing problems after I verify everything is correct to begin with.

Sorry for the delay but I have been pursing the whole disk backup script which is finished finally and I am just working on the docs now.

Tom

2source

Reaction score
Please just ignore me.......Hopefully I will just go away and leave everyone in peace lol :eek:!!

I had made a slight "oversight" in the amportal.conf I just didnt see the second entry :eek:!! This is now working perfectly fine :D

Thanks for all your help, looks like you did need to state the obvious :D

Karl Linley

2source

Reaction score
A script for idiots like me who cant read would be good lol :)

I have been looking forward to the whole disk backup script......

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi Tom

Maybe we could work up an interactive set up script to set the defaults which asks the following questions: -

1. Do you want database authentication (admin/admin) or htaccess for freePBX

2. What would you like the Maint - access all areas PW to be

3. The wwwadmin password

4. The Meetme password

5. Do you want to cahnge the asterisk manager passsword for FreePBX (y/n)

6. If yes - what would you like it to be.

7. Do you want to change the Asteriskuser password for FreePBX

8. If yes, what would like it to be

9 do you want a t*f*t*p server installed and started.

10 Would you like SugarCRM

11 Would you like A2Billing.

And so on... for each new feature.

If we did each entry as a separate script, calling each one as we need it, this will allow us to enhance the system, more easily debug, and add new scripts as they come.

We could also be enhance them by not only creating a setup wizard, but also a menu system for installing items at a later date.

Joe

Titanous

Reaction score
Sounds right, I have the same thought here. I like the menu system idea alot.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

I'd really like the wizard / menu system in a web page that we could drop into the maint directory.

We could then do this as an iFrame in FreePBX (like configedit etc) to help keep the system cohesive.

No fancy design, just black writing on a white background using the FreePBX style (or even style sheet)

Any good php / web developers out there want to rise to the challenge?

Joe

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Hi Joe this was my original intent to have a menu system in place I was aiming for the CLI however I am open to the web version also. Most of what you have asked I have already finished except for the admin/admin and Mysql stuff. THe mysql stuff I acutally have a script that will reset the user/pass no probs it is just the freepbx stuff that makes my head hurt. I was thinking of a simple checkbox type of menu that would allow users to simply tick the items they want installed and push a "process" button. Questions could be asked as it proceeds etc.

Tom

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
That would do;-)

The database auth is fairly simple, simply use sed to re-write auth=none instead of auth=database, and add the admin directory to the .htaccess in /etc/pbx. then do an apply.conf.sh, followed by an amportal restart.

I don't think that we need to go to the extent of changing the admin / admin password for those who want to leave it on database auth, but I do feel we need to move as much as we can away from the command line and onto web pages, preferably as FreePBX modules, thus avoiding different modes of operation and design issues.

Personally, I prefer auth access, which gives ACL capabilities which allows my customers to go in and change what I deem them competant to change, and leave the rest hidden away, such as routes and trunks.

I think the final aiming point is to work out how to build and install 3rd party modules in FreePBX - this is good for all of us, and should be simple.

Joe

stuck

Reaction score
Hi

From memory, the steps are as follows: -

1. Change the AMPDBPASS password in /etc/amportal.conf
2. Login to mySQL and change the password to match - do this via webmin or phpmyadmin
3. cd /usr/src/freepbx
4. ./apply_conf.sh
5 amportal restart.
Joe

I changed both entries of amp109 to my own password in amportal.conf and my freepbx fails with the same error as the poster above...

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

I'm comfortable that this process works, so all I can suggest is go back and double check everything.

Joe

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just a word to the wise for folks new to Asterisk. If you're just getting started with all of this, put your system behind a hardware-based firewall and don't change any passwords. About 90% of the problems new users have with PBX in a Flash are directly related to password conflicts, password mismatches, password config issues, and on, and on. You get the idea. Don't change 'em. Life will be easy... for all of us. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.