QUESTION Parking Ringback tone or callerid

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
I see tons of requests over the years for a way for the operator to know a call is a timed out parked call not a new incoming call and no solutions. Has anyone solved this yet?

It is just too confusing to the operator and the customer calling in. The operator needs to know if the call is a timed out parked call vs a fresh incoming call.

I have a client that is screaming for a solution!

AlwaysONS

Reaction score
I did get this ...

I had posted over in the FreePBX forum and this was the reply, I haven't had a chance to change the dialplan. see this thread here ...

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Bump! Has anyone found a solution to this? I am using the Aastra 57i phones and the client is getting really really impatient that I have not fixed this. At this point I don't care if it takes some C programming or whatever, I just need to find a solution. They have a place in FreePBX to insert a different tone if it is an orphaned parked call, but who needs that? I need the same field but for standard timed out parked calls. I'm sure that happens a whole lot more than orphaned calls.

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
Read the help on the Parking Lot (I can't confirm this is in all FreePBX versions) for "Actions for timed-out orphans." Barring that, send the call destination back to a call queue which you then preprend a new CID prefix like "PARK:" to the front of so. Put the operator's extension in the queue and now their phone shows "PARK:1234567890" as the CID, so they know it's a returned parked call.

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Read the help on the Parking Lot (I can't confirm this is in all FreePBX versions) for "Actions for timed-out orphans." Barring that, send the call destination back to a call queue which you then preprend a new CID prefix like "PARK:" to the front of so. Put the operator's extension in the queue and now their phone shows "PARK:1234567890" as the CID, so they know it's a returned parked call.

Again, I am not referring to Orphaned parked calls. There is a place in FreePBX to tell the system what to do with those calls. I am referring to parked calls that have timed out. As far as I can tell, there is no place to insert a ring cadence code like <belcore-dr3> or something. Also, the place the parked call returns to seems to be hard coded to return to the extension that parked it. Again, no place to tell the system to send it to a ring group.

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
My mistake. It was past my bedtime and I didn't read your post closely enough.

My understanding of this problem is that it is a limitation of the parking lot code within Asterisk and cannot be solved by dialplan manipulations alone. Since the dialplan pauses on the parked call, it picks up where it left off and isn't a "new" call to get new call setup information.

Bug Asterisk developers to fix it.

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
The original call packet information is maintained, on the follow-me and forward, so you still have the original person who sent it to the parking lot. I believe the problem is going to have to be resolved with Asterisk changes.

You could always change the asterisk source so that "return_context" is hardcoded to something other than "s" and have a label that changes the CID information before forcing the call to a particular extension. It's not robust, configurable, or easy, but it will work. I guarantee. :)

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Update:
Just to bring anyone following this thread, up to date. I got this working finally on a 1.6.2.6 build if iPBX. Turns out after a ton of very precise Googling and scavenging the asterisk wiki and bug tracker, that a new feature exists. As far as I can tell, it does not exist in the 1.4.x tree.

features_general_additional.conf
comebacktoorigin = no <---- add this line

extensions_custom.conf
"add this context and make it do whatever you want"
[parkedcallstimeout]

For the "parkedcallstimeout" context I just copied the park-dial context which is where the "orphaned" parked calls go. I then changed the lines that have a t, in them to s, (The t stand for timeout so I changed it to a standard label)

You can make yours do anything you want tho.

The 'comebacktoorigin' parameter defaults to "yes" if it does not exist which means parked calls act like they always have acted since the beginning of time. Google this paramater to find more info, what little there is.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Not to resurrect an old thread (I'm merely "recycling" here :)) - this falls in line of my question on ringback tones for parked calls that timeout.

Has anybody seen/done/used this in recent version? I'm on 2.11

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.