TIPS Outbound Route per Extension Option

rvlewis

Reaction score
I think a great addition to the wish list would be a default outbound route for each extension. I have a couple of providers set up and would like each extension to use a default provider. The default provider could of course be overidden by other dial codes set in the outbound routes, but it would default to the one selected as default. Keep up the great work, I love the system.

kenn10

Reaction score
I think a great addition to the wish list would be a default outbound route for each extension. I have a couple of providers set up and would like each extension to use a default provider. The default provider could of course be overidden by other dial codes set in the outbound routes, but it would default to the one selected as default. Keep up the great work, I love the system.

You can pretty much do this already with the custom-contexts module. It is not included with FreePBX but readily available as custom-contexts v0.3.4

rvlewis

Reaction score
Would prefer not having to modify code.

I am not a programmer, and do not understand a lot of the things that are going on inside the system yet. It is scary to me to go and add code or modify code and for an "appliance operator" it would work out better to make it a menu options rather than having to add non standard code to the system. I have read all about Ward's problems with the Asterisk commands and adding non standard code may make a future update of software not work and I would have trouble figuring out why. After I get some more experience with the system I might feel better about it.

jpe

Reaction score
No code modification necessary.

Download the file from here.
Goto the modules page in freepbx and upload the file.
Look for the file in the list and install it.

Thats it for the install.

To restrict an extension to a trunk.
Create a custom contex in Custom Contexts (which will be a choice under Advanced on the Admin page. (i use the 'from-" scheme ie. from-me)
Use the 'Set All' to Allow.
Scroll down to the Outbound Routes and 'Deny' the routes (trunks) you don't want used.

Go the extension you want to control. (if you are creating a new extension, create it and save it, then reenter it)

You will see a pop-up for custom contexts, choose the correct one. save and reload.

Whenever that extension makes a call, it will go out the trunk specified.

mark-hc

Reaction score
Here is my scenario. I am a newbie to these concepts.

I will lay out my scenario. Could someone get me going?

I live in the top portion of a house.

The top portion has 3 people.
extensions 1,2,3.

The basement has 1 person.
extension 4

I would like to provide a separate voip service to the person in the basement from the upstairs.

For example:

phone calls to the number 123-1234 would go to the IVR upstairs.

Phone calls to 456-4567 would go to the basement.

Outgoing phone calls would also be separated between upstairs and downstairs. (seperate billing)

Essentially I would purchase two seperate DID's from the same provider...

Can someone enlighten me?

kenn10

Reaction score
Not too difficult...

Easily done on the inbound side. Just route the DID's to the specific IVR, Ring Group or extension.

Then, create an outbound route using the trunks desired for upstairs. Next create an outbound route using the trunk for downstairs. If you're using the same outbound VOIP provider, no trunk separation is actually needed as you can set the outbound caller ID number to send on the extension.

If you have separate outbound services for upstairs and downstairs, use the custom-contexts module discussed above. Create a context called "from-upstairs" and one called "from-basement". In context "from-upstairs", set "allow" for the route for the outbound upstairs route and "deny" for the basement route. In the context "from-basement", set "allow for the route for outbound basement route and "deny" for the upstairs route.

Finally, on the upstairs extensions, set the context to "from-upstairs" on the extensions screen and set the basement extension to "from-basement".

Hopefully this will get you started. You probably won't need custom context if you get your DID and outbound service from a single provider like Voicepulse Connect or Vitelity as you can always produce reports to show usage by extension or by outbound caller-id.

mark-hc

Reaction score
Could you explain contexts to me? I'm having trouble understanding the concepts.

For instance. the context for the service provider trunks is 'from-trunk'

For extensions I put 'from-internal'

This allows my internal extensions to dial out the trunks.

I don't understand what the different variables do and the proper setup procedures.

Enlighten me?

How will the context 'from-basement' know to dial out my trunks if all the trunk contexts are 'from-trunk'

jhamon

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to do something similar and was given this link

This is the thread I created here

Last edited by a moderator:

kenn10

Reaction score
For extensions I put 'from-internal'
This allows my internal extensions to dial out the trunks. How will the context 'from-basement' know to dial out my trunks if all the trunk contexts are 'from-trunk'

The context of the trunk group does not relate to the context for your outbound routes for the extension. You don't need to worry about that.

:beatdeadhorse5:If you go ahead and download the custom-contexts add-on, you'll understand how this works. You need to look at it to understand how you can set up very elegant restrictions and routing.

The new contexts you create for "from-upstairs" and "from-basement" would replace "from-internal" on your extensions. This restricts the outbound routes for those extensions to the routes you've "allowed" in the new context.

I've done the same thing for remote extensions I have at a mountain home. Those extensions make local calls over a separate trunk group at the remote location while the extensions at my primary home use local trunks at their location.

cj6814

Reaction score
Caller ID with custom-contexts add-on module

Thanks for the explanations of how to install this module and then set it up. I've followed the instructions and have now isolated an extension I set up for family in another country to a trunk specific to them.

However, I can't get the caller id to work correctly. As soon as a I use the "context" feature it kills my caller id. An extension that is working fine through the same voip provider loses its caller id as soon as it's directed to that trunk specifically with the "context" feature.

Has anyone experienced this or is there a really simply setting I missed when setting up the custom-context.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

jpe

Reaction score
In custom-contexts, set all to Allow.
then at the bottom in outbound routes deny the trunks you don't want them to access. I "think" that wil fix it.

Others please correct me if I am wrong.

znelbok

Reaction score
When using a custom Context to limit extensions to a particular outbound route, do the dialling rules in the custom context replace the outbound route dialling rules.

in my example I have three outgoing lines (PSTN), two for one house and one for the other. Extensions from each house are to be limited to their own phone line. The other house having two will have a default line and by adding a 1 at the front of a number will select the other line. I can see how to do this in the outbound routes, but with custom context I think [the dialling rules] have to be done in the custom context dialling rules, thus the outbound rule is only doing the trunk sequencing.

Am I correct in my thinking

Thanks

Mick

ErikU

Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the custom contexts work in asterisk 1.6? They don't do anything for me at all it seems.

ariban

Reaction score
i followed all the instructions and i denied access to all trunks besides one and then on the extension i select this custom context and it does not work, it still uses the main trunk (all my trunks are with google voice).
however if i set everything to DENY and then allow only that one trunk then it works but i need other features so i dont want to set it to deny!
can anyone help?

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
If it's a really a simple system, you have all the tools you need already. For each outbound route, define the extension (users) that can access the route. Here's a simple example of ext 4970 using a single outbound route shared by nobody.

obi-002.jpg

ariban

Reaction score
thanks, its working now. i had to just say deny to ALL INTERNAL and that fixed it, somehow when that was on allow it did not route to the proper trunk. i like your solution though for another idea i have that i want my secretary to dial *75 before she can have access to outbound calls.
thanks

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
Be careful. *75 is inserted on a trunk where only 2 digits are dialed - provider's speed dial. Out the hopper goes *75XX to the provider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.