QUESTION OpenVPN issues

jchuby

Reaction score
I installed OpenVPN on ubuntu following these instructions
https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/docs/quick-start-guide.html

I was able to install, setup, and connect from my WindowsPC and test the connection by accessing the FreePBX admin interface using the internal address... great

My problem is this: My client is renting space inside another office - he has access to the LAN/Internet but cannot change the router settings. The phones register, but there is NO audio in either direction.

The server is PBXubuntu on Amazon - at my apartment I can remote connect the phones fine with audio.
I travellinMan'd the IP at the office, the phones can connect, I can access the web interface - just no audio...
SO I figured why not do this
DDWRT Router with OpenVPN client installed.
Set the phones with static IP and the DDWRT as their gateway, and use the internal IP to connect to the PBX.
I used this guide and got the router to connect to the OpenVPN
https://docs.openvpn.net/frequently-asked-questions/using-dd-wrt-with-openvpn-access-server/

BUT - there is no communication from the DDWRT lan to the server - nothing is connecting: ping/web/sip etc.

Anyone have any ideas?
I am willing to share my settings -

thanks!

EndeavorPBX

Reaction score
With the very limited information you've provided, I'd have to guess that the router at your client's office has SIP ALG activated. SIP ALG is known to cause issues blocking audio. You'll need to have someone turn it off.

dad311

Guru
Reaction score
If you connect a PC to the ddwrt LAN can you ping the PBX server? Can you ping the PBX from the ddwrt router? If you CAN ping from the ddwrt router to the PBX, but NOT from the LAN PC, you most likely have a routing issue in the ddwrt or the PBX.

Also, check you openvpn log files for any error messages.

Try using the traceroute command on the PBX to see which interface your packets are going out. From the PBX ping your phone IPs. Are the packets going out the VPN interface or out the default interface?

After quickly skimming the links listed above, most of the info is for point-point connections. I didn't see any info on routing networks over the VPN.

jchuby

Reaction score
I got the DDWRT routing working - it was not easy and in the end was not worth it - because that caused a whole sorts of issues with IP's/NAT/Etc - I was able to register fine but there was one way audio and a mixup of subnets -> Way over my head. I spoke to them about accessing their router - its a linksys, and yes, SIP ALG was turned on (by default??) -> Off, Audio fixed!

I am leaving the openVPN component on my server because it works nicely from my smartphone!
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.